• Leave with no deal

Votes: 122 74.4%
  • Leave with the WA without the backstop

Votes: 42 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If 28 people are living in a house, a few were net contributors and paying the bills and most weren't but were running hot baths and eating all the food, at what point would you think sod this, I'll get my own place?

To many people, yes, that's how marketing works ;0)

"Can we be so sure peace and stability on our continent are assured beyond any shadow of doubt? Is that a risk worth taking?

"I would never be so rash to make that assumption."

Did I just threaten WW3? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

If 28 people are living in a house, a few were net contributors and paying the bills and most weren't but were running hot baths and eating all the food, at what point would you think sod this, I'll get my own place?

Again though, whilst some countries are obviously paying more, all countries are paying something so therefore aren't just taking out.

Specifically stating that most countries within the EU do not pay in and are only taking out.
He didn't use the word only, you added that ;) I think most of us were able to realise what he meant and not take it so literally. A lot of people being excessively pedantic today :(.

Again though, whilst some countries are obviously paying more, all countries are paying something so therefore aren't just taking out.
If I paid in £10 but took out £20, then yes technically I paid in. In reality no money was probably paid in at all and I just took out.

You are quoting the £350 million. In reality we don't pay in £350 million then with the other hand take back a rebate.

The sums are worked out and the money less the rebate is taken in the first place.

Is Ipsos MORI a Pro-Remain blog?

Thanks, saved me further searching...is the Daily Mirror Pro or Anti Brexit?

So again, a large number of people did believe the marketing on the side of the bus.
If you believe in polls.

He didn't use the word only, you added that ;) I think most of us were able to realise what he meant and not take it so literally. A lot of people being excessively pedantic today :(.

You're right, he didn't state "only", but the way I interpreted his post was suggesting that most members take out without paying in;

Not all EU countries pay in. Most are taking out.

It is a very pedantic day isn't it, must be a Monday feeling :0)

If Brexit turned into an economic disaster; who would you blame?

There are some who say the economy is already a disaster waiting to be triggered, that we are tripping into economic misfortune and decline. Brexit can then be blamed, especially if it tips the balance.

However, please continue with your blame game.

If you believe in polls.

I think taking a single poll result as the only truth is naïve but multiple polls, conducted by different sources, that all come back with similar results are more beneficial.

You are quoting the £350 million. In reality we don't pay in £350 million then with the other hand take back a rebate.

The sums are worked out and the money less the rebate is taken in the first place.

I was quoting the Vote Leave bus ;)

The problem with an analogy, is it simplifies a much more complex point, usually to fit a viewpoint.
Of those 28, some will be maintaining the plumbing and electrics, others growing food in the garden for all 28 to share. There's also a nurse and doctor giving medical care, a couple of boffins making the house more economical to run, cooks, cleaners, accountants, someone providing transport and those providing security. Along with a sulking Brit who complains he's paying more than most of them but getting nothing back.

A poll from a pro remain blog site?

Here it's dropped to a third.

Poll suggests 1 in 3 Brits convinced Brexit would mean £350 million for the NHS

Oh, only a third of people were duped with both a lie and a quite deliberate insinuation, that's ok then.

Specifically stating that most countries within the EU do not pay in and are only taking out. Being a Net Contributor just means that you pay in more than you take out, but I'm sure you realised that.
And I'm sure you knew that was what Sonic was talking about.

I think taking a single poll result as the only truth is naïve but multiple polls, conducted by different sources, that all come back with similar results are more beneficial.
I've only found the two polls. One said 47% the other was a third.

If we are beliving in polls then the Lord Ashcroft poll said for most voting leave it was down to sovereignty and then migration. So it wasn't even the main reason for leavers voting to leave.

I was quoting the Vote Leave bus ;)

My turn to be pedantic :laugh: What do polls about what a slogan on a bus meant to people before the referendum have to do with the Latest brexit news? :devil:

"Can we be so sure peace and stability on our continent are assured beyond any shadow of doubt? Is that a risk worth taking?

"I would never be so rash to make that assumption."

Did I just threaten WW3? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
You definitely alluded to no peace or stability.

What's a good term to describe it when states are not at peace? War maybe?

Meanwhile I don't recall you answering.

The remain camp claimed that the EU kept the peace. How can you reconcile that with denying the words of Cameron are about the threat of war?

Along with a sulking Brit who complains he's paying more than most of them but getting nothing back.
Probably because he only has one room and the rest of the house is moving into it.
Oh, only a third of people were duped with both a lie and a quite deliberate insinuation, that's ok then.
If we assume that poll is correct.

My turn to be pedantic :laugh: What do polls about what a slogan on a bus meant to people before the referendum have to do with the Latest brexit news? :devil:

Good question and I've got no idea how we got on to it! :rotfl:

Edit - Oh yeah, dirty campaigning on both sides of the vote using misleading figures to further an agenda.

I've only found the two polls. One said 47% the other was a third.

If we are beliving in polls then the Lord Ashcroft poll said for most voting leave it was down to sovereignty and then migration. So it wasn't even the main reason for leavers voting to leave.

Eh? Do you mean the Lord Ashcroft poll didn't state how many voted leave because of the slogan on the bus? Nobody has suggested it did?

If we assume that poll is correct.

We could probably say the same about the Lord Ashcroft poll too, which is what started this whole debate because @Marv said that the majority of those who voted Leave didn't do it because of any economic implications (good or bad).

Last edited:
Eh? Do you mean the Lord Ashcroft poll didn't state how many voted leave because of the slogan on the bus? Nobody has suggested it did?
My point is you are making a big thing over the bus. It may not even be the reason why people voted to leave regardless of what people thought regarding the money paid to Brussels or wherever their parliament is today.

I've linked to this before.

Dominic Cummings: how the Brexit referendum was won | Coffee House

The point from the link was even if remain argued "we don't pay £17 billion a year to Brussels it's only £10 billion a year" voters wouldn't take that as any better and Remain would be having to admit it. It's not a debate Remain really wanted to be in.

People don't vote based on what they see on a bus, they do vote based on what is affecting them every day.

If the EU for you is working on a middle income of a successful business and occasionally travelling to the Paris office and retiring to Spain you might think the EU is great.

If the EU for you is competing with people driving your wages down and meaning you can't get a place to live then it doesn't matter what a bus says.

Not all EU countries pay in. Most are taking out.
Everybody pays in. Everybody benefits from the multiplier effect, probably 3-4 times. In addition poorer areas and farmers get subsidies. Everybody wins. Rich countries get bigger markets. Poor ones get a leg-up to become rich countries (see Ireland, far richer now than the UK).

Whining about cash paid and cash received sort of misses the point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom