• We are currently running a full reindex on the database following a problem yesterday morning (Thursday 5th December).
    This will take a few hours to complete and during this time, search results will be incomplete or non-existant. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Keeping up with the latest Brexit News

Which option would you prefer?

• Leave with no deal

Votes: 122 74.4%
  • Leave with the WA without the backstop

Votes: 42 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

richp007

Distinguished Member
Can't see it ever happening. All this is angering people. If you think people will just shrug their shoulders and forget this ever happened you are really deluding yourself and know little of people.

The reasons why people voted to leave are still there together with rich people stopping brexit, MPs ignoring their own voters and the EU themselves and what they've said.

People were angry just over the "back of the queue" comment.
Genuine question, what would you personally do if Article 50 was revoked? Or if we end up Remaining through another referendum?

Same question applies to all Leaver's really.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
When all this is over, can all you regular posters to this thread club together and buy @IronGiant and nice bottle of his choice for having to read this thread and try to moderate it impartially.

The man must have the patience of Job.
When its all over, I think we should all meet in a pub somewhere (not a spoons)

Probably sometime in October 2034.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Genuine question, what would you personally do if Article 50 was revoked? Or if we end up Remaining through another referendum?

At the very least vote Brexit party at every opportunity. Who knows what else. We’ll have to see what actually happens.

A similar question for Remainers, what would you do if we left with no deal?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Personally it would encourage me to vote for Scottish IndyRef2. That would hopefully lead to a timely restoration of rights/benefits of EU citizenship for myself/family and long term cause a strategic shock for the rUK that eventually results in a similar outcome for those on England.

Bigfingers

Distinguished Member
Personally it would encourage me to vote for Scottish IndyRef2. That would hopefully lead to a timely restoration of rights/benefits of EU citizenship for myself/family and long term cause a strategic shock for the rUK that eventually results in a similar outcome for those on England.
If you need a lift up to the border let me know, I'll take you there myself ;)

IronGiant

Errrr, what?

Nasty term used by nasty people.

m4rky_m4rk

Flaming. Inciting an argument
When its all over, I think we should all meet in a pub somewhere (not a spoons)

Probably sometime in October 2034.
I boycott them too. I wonder how many others do.

I wasn't really that bothered at one time. It was early days in the Brexit debate. I wasn't bothered until I was sat in my local spoons one day chatting with my political cartoonist mate. Talk turned to Brexit and he suddenly got uncomfortable. Weird I thought given his job and views and then he said we should move to a more isolated part of the pub to talk or there could be trouble. I was bit shocked and we moved outside. It was after that I took more notice of spoons political leanings and realised my local spoons had morphed under my nose into a nest of vipers. Oh well. Plenty of other pubs.

ashenfie

That might make for a better saga than Brexit. If we go out and then we have scotexit from Britten and Scots try am get back into eu.

Love to see how that turns out.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member

Honestly can't see it ever happening. You might as well ask, "what will I do if we find out the world is flat and on the back of a giant turtle."

Bigfingers

Distinguished Member
I boycott them too. I wonder how many others do.

I wasn't really that bothered at one time. It was early days in the Brexit debate. I wasn't bothered until I was sat in my local spoons one day chatting with my political cartoonist mate. Talk turned to Brexit and he suddenly got uncomfortable. Weird I thought given his job and views and then he said we should move to a more isolated part of the pub to talk or there could be trouble. I was bit shocked and we moved outside. It was after that I took more notice of spoons political leanings and realised my local spoons had morphed under my nose into a nest of vipers. Oh well. Plenty of other pubs.
Feared for your life at a Wetherspoons? Jeez, cool story :rolleyes:

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
The rumour I heard was that 50 MPs wouldn't back it. They're both rumours though so equally possible.
I also heard another rumour that yet more Tory MP's are considering leaving the party to join the Liberal Democrats. Sounds like a bit of a silly season is going on before the crunch dates in Parliament begin.

At the very least vote Brexit party at every opportunity. Who knows what else. We’ll have to see what actually happens.
I think it all depends on what happens to the Tory party and what would emerge from the rubble if Article 50 were revoked. Something viable might emerge from it that will appeal to those who voted leave. Or it might not.

If we keep FPTP all I can see happening is the Tory party fading as a political force, leaving Labour (assuming it survives Jezza) and the Liberal Democrats as the two main political parties. With Farage maybe leading a Brexit Party that has just enough MP's to fill a taxi.

No Deal ? Depends on what happens, if it's a complete disaster then it makes campaigning to rejoin the EU relatively straight forward.

Though the questions should be - What we will do to heal the divisions Brexit has ripped open ? Or can they be healed ?

richp007

Distinguished Member

It is a fair question.

If we leave without a deal I would certainly first contact my local MP to express my disdain for this being allowed to happen.

Longer term I think it would shatter my faith in the current crop of parties and I would not vote for any party still being led by the current incumbents. So for example no Labour until Corbyn is gone.

But even then I would seriously scrutinize any future manifesto's.

And there's no guarantee I'd vote again.

I actually live in one of the safest Labour seats in the country, and I doubt that will ever change.

richp007

Distinguished Member
No Deal ? Depends on what happens, if it's a complete disaster then it makes campaigning to rejoin the EU relatively straight forward.

Though the questions should be - What we will do to heal the divisions Brexit has ripped open ? Or can they be healed ?
There will be no rejoining the EU for many many years. It really is a once in a lifetime decision this.

Can you imagine how terrible the price would be for wanting to rejoin? Especially after what's happened. Any deal to become a member again would shaft us big time. I imagine the terms would be highly unfavourable.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
It is a fair question.

If we leave without a deal I would certainly first contact my local MP to express my disdain for this being allowed to happen.

Longer term I think it would shatter my faith in the current crop of parties and I would not vote for any party still being led by the current incumbents. So for example no Labour until Corbyn is gone.

But even then I would seriously scrutinize any future manifesto's.

And there's no guarantee I'd vote again.

I actually live in one of the safest Labour seats in the country, and I doubt that will ever change.
That’s pretty much the bottom line, whichever side of the fence you’re on, isn’t it?

There’s really not a whole lot we can do whatever happens, other than exercise our right to vote or not vote in the future.

Rightly or wrongly, it’s been made pretty clear that MPs will do whatever they want regardless of what any of us might say.

I doubt too many, if any, of us on here are likely to take up arms or anything :D

Maybe sign a petition or two, maybe even go on a protest march or too, but at the end of the day, neither are likely to achieve much.

So all in all we’re pretty powerless.

psikey

Distinguished Member

If its a genuine change by the people voting in a GE (or worse case 2nd Ref) then I will continue my life as normal and just hope that the EU doesn't change into a USSR as they consolidate power away from individual nations. As I've said before, its more about Democracy for me as a marginal Leave voter.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Blair's sh*tting his pants & stirring it again (he knows Corbyn can't win).

Saying that, I'd rather have him still than Corbyn :eek:

chopples

i don’t think there is a lot we can do tbh but my first hope is that all the financial experts and businesses who are saying the crap will hit the fan are in fact wrong.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I don't see why some are getting hot under the collar on this. Parliament has said no deal is not acceptable to such an extent that they have legislated against it. Bercow's role is to represent the wishes of Parliament. He is doing his job.

psikey

Distinguished Member
I don't see why some are getting hot under the collar on this. Parliament has said no deal is not acceptable to such an extent that they have legislated against it. Bercow's role is to represent the wishes of Parliament. He is doing his job.
Same old, its meant to be the will of the people not parliament. If people vote Remain in GE or 2nd Ref then fine.

No electorate picked Bercow to represent us on world stage! The little hitler.

hunt808

There will be no rejoining the EU for many many years. It really is a once in a lifetime decision this.

Can you imagine how terrible the price would be for wanting to rejoin? Especially after what's happened. Any deal to become a member again would shaft us big time. I imagine the terms would be highly unfavourable.
I doubt they would want or allow us back any time soon. We’ll be behind Turkey in the queue, and by the look of things, it will be 200 years before they’re a member.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Rightly or wrongly, it’s been made pretty clear that MPs will do whatever they want regardless of what any of us might say.
I am reminded of something along these lines. There's a lot that's been exposed. MPs ignoring their own electorate, the House of Lords out of step and a lot more. It's a bit like for years being infested by cockroaches and then turning on the light switch and finally seeing them. There's a lot of electoral reform that needs to happen as our "representatives" don't represent us,

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Same old, its meant to be the will of the people not parliament. If people vote Remain in GE or 2nd Ref then fine.

No electorate picked Bercow to represent us on world stage! The little hitler.
'Will of the people' is just an political slogan. We elect representatives to Parliament and our country is a Parliamentary democracy. Bercow is just doing the will of the House.

hunt808

That’s pretty much the bottom line, whichever side of the fence you’re on, isn’t it?

There’s really not a whole lot we can do whatever happens, other than exercise our right to vote or not vote in the future.

I doubt too many, if any, of us on here are likely to take up arms or anything :D

Maybe sign a petition or two, maybe even go on a protest march or too, but at the end of the day, neither are likely to achieve much.

So all in all we’re pretty powerless.
If it’s no deal followed by significant negative consequences, I’m pretty sure we’ll see a lot of civil disobedience. Probably instigated by young people who are thoroughly sick of what they see as the combined effects of Tory austerity, Brexit and the failure to deal with climate change.

When you poop on a whole generation, don’t be surprised when they kick you in the face.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I am reminded of something along these lines. There's a lot that's been exposed. MPs ignoring their own electorate, the House of Lords out of step and a lot more. It's a bit like for years being infested by cockroaches and then turning on the light switch and finally seeing them. There's a lot of electoral reform that needs to happen as our "representatives" don't represent us,
The country is deeply divided over Brexit and so is Parliament. I would say the latter is mirroring the country quite well TBH.

Trending threads

Latest News

Netflix UK free trials come to an end
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony update brings AirPlay 2 and Dolby Atmos support to select TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer FLOW II headphones get Google Assistant
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon introduces DHT-S216 All-in-One soundbar