Keeping track of what's on each DVD-RAM

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Daddy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I've recently purchased the Panasonic DMR E55 and I have a pack of 10 DVD-RAMs. They work fine but now I'm finding that I'm losing track of what's on what disc.
    I have some CD/DVD pens but they're permanent. Can you buy wipe-off ones ? The manual recommends against using labels as it could affect the balance of the DVD when rotating.

I'd be interested to hear what others do.

Thanks !

2. theboygroucho

theboygroucho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Write the contents on a "post-it" note on the case works for me.

3. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just number the discs and keep a database on a PDA/PC of what is on each disc. I used to do the same with tapes. With the extreme ease with which recording can be erased and odd items added to a bit of spare space on a disc, traditional labels become unwieldy. I also use post it notes for temporary stuff or as an aide memoire for transferring the data to the PDA/PC.

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now on the toshiba all you have to do is number the disks and the recorder keeps track of whats on them :)

5. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find the Toshiba title/chapter entry system rather awkward compared with a PDA/PC. Also I use the discs on more than one machine as well as the PC. It would be good if the Toshiba automatically titled the recording the same way the Panasonics do. It is not terribly useful for the Tosh to tell you something like:

003 2004/7/23 Fri 18:49 1 2204/07/23 18:48 Ch:1

because one forgot to enter the programme details at the time.

At least a PDA is portable and can do more sophisticated sorting/arranging/printing that one can't do with existing HDD/DVD machines. Maybe we will one day get the facility to upload/download "library" details to/from HDD/DVD machines via WiFi/USB/Bluetooth?

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    I need to do something like the PDA solution as I forgot that one of my RAMs had something on it already and set it to record and missed half the program due to running out of space.

7. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly off the subject but the Toshiba has a nice trick of "relay" recording whereby it will switch to recording the rest of a recording to the hard disc if it runs out of space on the DVD/DVD-RAM. One day a manufacturer may get all the best features of these various machines combined into one.