1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping things simple...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by daleski75, Dec 6, 2004.

1. daleski75

daleski75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have the following setup and I am trying to work out the best amp/dvd combo for my setup and I have short listed two combinations and want to know everyones opinion :)

Quad 22L fronts
    Quad Centre
    Quad 12L Rears
    Quad L Sub

I have short listed a Rotel RSX-1067 Reciever with a Denon 2910 or a Arcam AVR-300 with the Arcam DV79 DVD Player.

Both of these setups are around the same price circa £2300

I have heard that the Arcam AVR-300 can be a little "weak" for amplification so was considering adding a P90 Power Amp and Biamping the 2 spare channels for stereo mode.

I would say for listening im split fairly equally between movies and music.

Cheers for the help everyone!

2. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice speaker package! I've not yet demo'ed the Arcam but I did recently listen to a Rotel RSX-1056 with a Denon 2910 although it was conected to B&W speakers. Can't remember the models but the fronts were the large floorstanders and the rears very small B&W bookshelfs so is a fairly similar set up. The Rotel amp was excellent for both movies and music but I felt the 2910 was a weak link musically. I got them to hook up a Rotel RCD-02 and this was much better.

I've got an RA-01 and RCD-02 connected to Quad 11L speakers at home. I'd say the RSX-1056 gives stereo performance of a similar level to the Rotel 02 components but have to say I prefer the sound of Quads to B&W's.

Hope this helps a little.

3. daleski75

daleski75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Thanks for the information, I thought that by spending more it would be easier to choose, but it proved contrary to what I believed!

I too have heard semi good or bad reports about the 2910 and the 3910 so I may go down the arcam route as a friend of mine has the AVR-300 and thats very impressive.

Choices, choices and more choices!!!

(Good job I havent looked down the pre-amp/processor/amp combo, or I would be stuck forever trying to work out what to get!)

D

4. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You may also consider a cheaper AV Receiver and a multichanel power amp... :rolleyes:

5. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just remember the Arcam has no SACD (if that matters to you). For good UNIVERSAL audio performance, you should give the Marantz DV6400 a listen. It's not the equal to the Arcam, but, IMO, it is equal to the Denon 2900 in audio, and better than the 2200 (2910 is a DVI player with the 2200's audio section). The 3910 is said to be an impressive audio player (haven't heard it myself), but is quite pricey here in Canada (as are the other Denons).

6. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The Rotel RSX-1067 is super - not easy to setup, but don't let that scare you away. Has lots of features - you can set crossover point for every channel group which can be very useful.

HMN - maybe get the Rotel RSX-1067 & an Arcam DV78 !?