keeping my battery in the best shape possible

Giraffe76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

ive bought a poco f3 and wanted to know the best ways to keep my battery in the best shape possible so it doesnt drain quicker than necassary.
For example.. is it better to let my battery drain all the way down to zero or charge it at a certain level or maybe just charge it overnight from whatever battery level it is.

Hope this makes sense

Kind regards Mark

I’ve read that it’s best to charge before it hits 20% and stop charging before it gets to 90% , this is a useful app AccuBattery – Apps on Google Play but not all functions of the app work with Xiaomi phones.

40-80% is supposed to be the optimal range for phone batteries. But it's really not worth worrying about. Charge it as and when you need to.

I think it’s abit silly these people who worry about charging at or before a certain%, and then only charge to a certain % too. How much would you be worrying and watching the battery everyday? Seems pointless to me.

I just keep using mine until it’s around 5-10% and then charge to 100%, you’ll never experience the full potential of your phones battery life if you’re only using 60% of it(20 to 80)

It’s not like batteries are even expensive to change anyway, £40-60 every 2/3 years, if you were that bothered about changing it and it degraded enough to warrant a new one

I know from experience that running your battery really low all the time will affect its ability to hold a charge. We got identical phones at the same time, I never let my battery get really low, while the other phone would be run down to nil often. That phone is still in use by another family member, but it needs to be charged constantly, because the battery is fouled up.
Mine is still fine.
The battery is only $20 USD, but I wouldn't dare try to install it myself.
A shop that can do the job wants a fair bit to do the job & it's not a walk in walk out situation, the phone would be there for days.
They're also 30 miles away, not a really big deal, but shops like that are not abundant in our area.
In fact, I saw that they're closing their doors & having a clearance sale on their glass counters & things in the shop. I have not called around to see if there are other shops, but they came the most highly recommended when I had been making calls.

When batteries were easily removable I would keep three for my phone.
1 to use
1 to charge
1 to rest
The batteries were still working fine after several years.
I bought the same phone for my girlfriend & she thought I was nuts to have 3 batteries, hers died of course.

edit/add:
I forgot to mention that the external charger I used for the 3 battery 'system' was designed to charge slowly.
I do sometimes wonder if the new Turbo-Charging with USB-C is averse to the life of the batteries.

Last edited:
Hi all,

ive bought a poco f3 and wanted to know the best ways to keep my battery in the best shape possible so it doesnt drain quicker than necassary.
For example.. is it better to let my battery drain all the way down to zero or charge it at a certain level or maybe just charge it overnight from whatever battery level it is.

Hope this makes sense

Kind regards Mark
Actually using a lower powered charger 500mA or 1 amp will lengthen the battery life (if you don't mind waiting longer for it to charge) Using fast chargers heat the battery more which WILL shorten the life, keeping the battery cool while charging also helps so don't charge in front of a heater of on the bed. Heat being the killer is why you shouldn't always charge from nearly dead as that is when the charger will put max power into the battery.
It used to be the case to fully discharge older NiCad batteries before charging but newer Li-ion batteries are not affected by memory. You should get 15- 18 months to before seeing a major decline in battery performance which is when most people think about an upgrade anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Six months back I got myself a Battery Bank.
Its an Anker PowerCore Essential 20000.
It transfers the charge to the phone slowly. Neither it or the phone gets warm.
The charge from the Bank if not used lasts ages. It will charge any device via the USB lead.
So far its been a great bit of kit.
So if you are out & find your device lacking power, just plug it in.
Its just a tad heavier than a mobile.

Six months back I got myself a Battery Bank.
Its an Anker PowerCore Essential 20000.
It transfers the charge to the phone slowly. Neither it or the phone gets warm.
The charge from the Bank if not used lasts ages. It will charge any device via the USB lead.
So far its been a great bit of kit.
So if you are out & find your device lacking power, just plug it in.
Its just a tad heavier than a mobile.

Good idea, anything can (trickle charge and keep the bat cool) will give the battery longer life, I had a Motorola G5 and the original charger got damaged just after purchase so bought a crappy 1000mA job from eBay, charged it with that for the rest of the time I owned the phone and the Battery was still lasting 2-3 days after 2 years use.
My son has owned 2 phones with fast chargers and both killed the battery, now he only gets half a day with a 9 month old OnePlus 8.

Good phones Motorola, Just got the new Moto G31. They say, it has a three day battery. 5000mAh.
Gives the poco f3 a good run for the money at under £200 for the 128GB 4GB RAM. IMOP anyway.

Last edited:
I know what you guys are saying above, but I’ve also read elsewhere, that some people saying they’ve been using fast chargers, and their iPhones only lost 2/3% battery health after 12 months. So I’m not so sure fast chargers kill all batteries

I know what you guys are saying above, but I’ve also read elsewhere, that some people saying they’ve been using fast chargers, and their iPhones only lost 2/3% battery health after 12 months. So I’m not so sure fast chargers kill all batteries
Yep, my last iPhone I had for 11 months and used a fast charger every day and only lost 4% battery health. No way would I go back to the pathetic 5w chargers Apple used to provide and have it plugged in for hours on end.

Yep, my last iPhone I had for 11 months and used a fast charger every day and only lost 4% battery health. No way would I go back to the pathetic 5w chargers Apple used to provide and have it plugged in for hours on end.

And there we go, someone to back up my statement!:smashin:

I wouldn’t want to go back to using a 5w charger, taking 3/4 hours to charge, just to save 1/2% of battery health over 12 months!

As far as I'm aware iPhones don't have fast charging. Losing 4% in a year is pretty good though.

As far as I'm aware iPhones don't have fast charging. Losing 4% in a year is pretty good though.
20w is classed as fast charging which all recent iPhones support.

On my Samsung Galaxy Fold 2- on the battery settings I have set it to charge up to 85%- this is because we can charge the battery using the super fast charging so within an hour or less your battery is charged and also as we frequently charge our phones, the battery lifespan will shorten.

On the settings on the phone - newer android software should have this feature:

Screenshot_20220118-215925_Device care.jpg

Hope this helps guys..

Jay

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom