keep Yamaha RXV1000 and buy new speakers or get package?

cypher007

Established Member
Reaction score
i know ive aksed a similar quaestion elsewhere, but now im staying on the receiver side of the question i thought id start a new thread.

i have an old yamaha rxv1000, which is still i think a very good piece of kit, but it has no hdmi sockets due to its age. i have been using it with 5 monster 3 way wharfdale linton 3xp's, which i replaced the tweaters on with some audax ones from maplins. the result i thought sounded cool. anyway ive now been told the lintons have to go, to be replaced by some more compact units that if my 4 years old pulls over wont injure him.

so should i keep the yamaha for now and buy some good speakers. or replace the whole lot with a package of receiver and speakers.

ive looked at the onkyo avx690 package on richer sounds that was recomended, but the speakers seem very small and dont even have tweaters, like the onkyo system i almost bought.

then i looked at the HT-S9405THX :D . wondering if i can get it past the missus, hmmm :rolleyes: .

anyway back to reality, im now well and truly confused.

can someone please help me at least narrow my options. e.g keep yamaha for the time being and if so what speakers to get, or start with a package.

I would say keep the Yamaha unless you want/need the newer features of a newer receiver.
What is your budget?
When you say smaller speakers do you mean a sub/satelite system?
Could you have floorstanders as they may be seen as being more stable than standmounts. To be honest if you kid has reached the age of 4 without knocking them over then you are pretty assured that they will not be knocking them over and hurting themselves now. I had/have the most trouble when mine have/are 1-3 yo.
If you have to go for a sub/sat system then I feel you may end up disappointed with the sound unless you spend some fairly serious money (£1k+). The best advice would be to go and listen to a few options and see what you think. The Monitor Audio Radius or Apex ranges would be worth a look as a starting point. But there is also the Kef T series and Kef eggs. Although I would be looking at standmount options like Monitor Audio Vector/BX etc.

it was more an issue with the size and weight of the old speakers, as i had the rear surrounds mounted on portable tv wall brackets. i think floor standers may be out unless thin.

my budget is about £400. i was looking at these setups:

Boston SOUNDWARE XS SE Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

not sure these will sound any good due to size, but theyve got a what hifi award.

Tannoy HTS101 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

seem ok.

Wharfedale DX1 HCP Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

Cambridge Audio S20 5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

these look the biz.

Cambridge Audio S AV PACK Black | 5 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

hmm :thumbsup: . though not sure if i can get floor standers past the missus. maybe if i tell her i wont need a sub she will ignor there size.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom