Keep Yamaha AMP or upgrade???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MS-Yam, Aug 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

I have gradually upgraded from the Mordaunt-Short Premiere satellite system to the much more substantial MS Avant 5.1 setup consisting of 906 fronts, 905 centre and 902 rears. What I am wondering is whether my Yamaha DSPAX640 amp is enough to power them. In an ideal world I would probably go for a Pioneer powerhouse, such as the VSX-AX3 (£700 ish), but funds refuse to allow this!... not at the minute anyway. I am happy with the Yam for the time being, as it is quite a hefty, good sounding amp for the price (£300).

So... the three questions I have are as follows...

1. Is the Yam good enough?

2. 1. I could probably get around £200 for my amp, which means it would cost me about £400 to upgrade to the Pioneer - Will I benefit a great deal from splashing out???

3. Are there any other amps you would recommend over the Pioneer, around the same price - baring in mind, I use my system as a music source too.

Any help will be great, thanks.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    One obvious choice would be the Yamaha RX-V1400RDS which can now be had for under £600 (was £800). A fabulous amp, and one that I would expect to beat the Pioneer for 2 channel performance.