Question Keep Q90R 75” or get LG CX 77”

Ali Raza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Last yr I bought the Samsung q90r 75” and I am generally happy with it but I only watch nextflix or prime and Apple TV most of the time and they all have Dolby vision which Samsung doesn’t support. With recent oled Cx prices I was wondering would it be wise to buy that and sell the Samsung? I’ve never owned an oled tv before, will I see a huge difference in hdr picture quality?

It’s for a living room with kind of bright room and kids watch movies and play on Xbox, but in the evening I use a very dim light to watch the tv.

The difference between DV and standard HDR isn't that massive, it's an incremental difference and nowhere near the difference between SDR and HDR. Unless you watched it side by side I doubt you'd notice.

The difference between OLED and LCD though, that's a different matter.
OLED is going to give you far superior contrast and per pixel dimming. No blooming or haloing. perfect blacks etc.

However, you'll lose a good bit of brightness and while that might not be an issue in your room when you darken it, you'll see a difference during the day.

Personally, IMO, it's a lot of cash, it may not be to you. You have what is regarded as one of the best LCD TVs, I wouldn't. I do want an OLED but I'm not prepared to pay for one until my TV dies or I'm getting a significant benefit over my very good 2 yr old Sony LCD.

Not worth it, Dolby Vision HDR support is not really as beneficial as people think on an LCD TV that can push such high nits already. Not just that, but the Q90R wasn't really replaced in their 2020 lineup, with the Q90T having quite a bit worse local dimming and HDR performance.

Thanks guys I guess I’ll stick to q90r for now, I am happy with it overall just thought if oled would improve the hdr experience even further but I guess the difference wouldn’t be worth it. I better use the money elsewhere 😀

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom