Question Keep Pioneer SC-LX58 or upgrade to SC-LX701? HDCP 2.2 confusion!

kipper15

OK...so I am confused!

Some background. Back in 2015 I finally decided, for the main HT system in the lounge, it was time to ditch the aging 2001-vintage Panasonic CRT TV, get a blu-ray player (yes, I was a late arrival to the blu-ray format) and an AVR capable of working with HDMI sources. I had acquired a Sky HD box (DRX595) new from an eBay seller after my Sky SD box gave up the ghost. Just used the SCART connector to hook up to the Panasonic CRT TV.

In the case of the AVR, I had a Pioneer VSX-D812 of 2003 vintage. I acquired a Pioneer BDP-LX58 and the AVR designed to be paired with it, the SC-LX58. I had at this point already acquired a budget Sony blu-ray player to hook up to a Philips HD Ready TV in the bedroom and started acquiring some blu-ray discs.

To cut a long story short, some unforeseen personal circumstances meant that I never got around to even using the BDP-LX58 or SC-LX58 as I didn't get the TV. But now I'm keen to kick-start this and have been looking at 50" 4K TVs, specifically the Panasonic TX-50EX700B. I cannot go larger than 50" due to where the TV will be located. But this will be a big step up from the 37" CRT!

What I'm confused about is this: I've been reading on here and elsewhere that the SC-LX58 does not support HDCP 2.2, even though the manual for the SC-LX58 states that the unit is "HDCP compliant".

Now, as I understand it, this issue with lack of HDCP 2.2 ONLY affects 4K sources. Is that correct or have I got that wrong?

I had planned to connect the various sources as follows. Note the splitting of the audio and video signals from the BDP-LX58, if that makes any difference?

Xbox 360 -> HDMI IN port on AVR

Xbox One X (pre-ordered) -> HDMI IN port on AVR

Sky DRX595 -> HDMI IN port on AVR
Pioneer BDP-LX58 -> SUB OUT from player to HDMI BD IN port on SC-LX58 (with MAIN HDMI OUT on the BDP-LX58 going to a HDMI IN port - non-ARC - on the TV)

Panasonic TX-50EX700B -> HDMI ARC input on the TV, HDMI OUT 1 (ARC-supported HDMI port) from the SC-LX58

So...I'm now thinking that the SC-LX58 isn't such a good idea because the SC-LX58 has no HDCP 2.2 support...and therefore will not be able to upscale ANY 1080p source to near-4K resolution because of this. Maybe, the possible exception is the way I plan to split the signal from the BDP-LX58 with a direct connection for video to the TV itself which, given that it's a 2017 model, I would imagine supports HDCP 2.2.

Have I got this right? I am in such a muddle over this. I really thought it would be so straightforward! ("It's all HDMI..." yeah I know I know!). It was SO much easier back in the days of SD!

I'm now thinking that it might make sense to trade-in or sell the unused SC-LX58 for the newer SC-LX701, given that most of its HDMI ports are HDCP.

Can someone please put me out of my misery and tell if me I'm talking complete gibberish!!!

I really need to decide what to do. If the upscaling of none of my sources is going to work then it's a no-brainer. Or have I misunderstood and HDCP 2.2 will ensure only 1080 from a native 4K source (i.e. Netflix, Xbox One X) if the AVR is not HDCP 2.2 compatible? In the case of the SC-LX58 it isn't HDCP 2.2 compatible!

And what about other sources that are not HDCP 2.2 and not native 4K sources? As in, the Sky HD box and the Xbox 360? Can these still be upscaled by the SC-LX58 to near 4K resolution?

I would REALLY appreciate some help and guidance on this as it's beginning to drive me nuts!

kipper15

OK...so I didn't get any replies to this question...but I've decided to future-proof my setup (at least for a while yet) by trading in the SC-LX58 for a SC-LX701.

This will at least enable me to connect an Xbox One X (when it arrives in November) and get native 4K pass-through to the Panasonic TX-50EX700B 4K TV, via the SC-LX701 as it has HDCP 2.2 ports. And going forward more 4K sources can be added (for example if I upgrade from Sky HD to Sky Q) without losing the 4K image on the TV.

I figured it made no sense to keep the SC-LX58 only to then have to look at replacing in the next few years as new HDCP 2.2 4K sources get added to the system. I am not one for constantly upgrading and making do with what I have for quite a period of time. I bought a Pioneer VSX-812K AV receiver back in 2003 and am still using it due to the SC-LX58 not being used since I bought it.

If anyone has any comments to make on my rationale to go for the newer SC-LX701 AV receiver feel free to chime in...

Psytrix

You made the right choice in upgrading to the 701. Besides the needed HDMI 2.0b outputs, HDCP 2.2 is a new copy protection for UHD Blu-rays and will not passthrough the picture and audio without it. You can get around this with more expensive players like the OPPO 203 which have 2 HDMI outputs for picture and audio, but it's defiantly more convenient to just run it through the AVR and have less HDMI cables floating around.

The other big thing is Dolby Vision, there's an update coming in December which is great - this will defiantly future proof the AVR for the near future. Obviously HDMI 2.1 is coming in the next couple of years, but it will be a long time until it's features will be prominent in the market, so not worth worrying about.

I had the LX59 prior to this but had major issues with it. Specifically 4K passthrough and HDMI and network issues. I personally feel this player was rushed and they didn't iron everything out properly. It also won't be getting Dolby Vision, so HDR10 only.

Things that have stood out for me so far is a definite audio improvement, things working seamlessly and no networking issues with Airplay and Tunein radio which is great - it also has better menus and layout. If I had a minor complaint it would only be that the audio format isin't displayed on the front of the unit without pushing a button on the remote to show it - but that's nit picking.

kipper15

You made the right choice in upgrading to the 701. Besides the needed HDMI 2.0b outputs, HDCP 2.2 is a new copy protection for UHD Blu-rays and will not passthrough the picture and audio without it. You can get around this with more expensive players like the OPPO 203 which have 2 HDMI outputs for picture and audio, but it's defiantly more convenient to just run it through the AVR and have less HDMI cables floating around.

The other big thing is Dolby Vision, there's an update coming in December which is great - this will defiantly future proof the AVR for the near future. Obviously HDMI 2.1 is coming in the next couple of years, but it will be a long time until it's features will be prominent in the market, so not worth worrying about.

I had the LX59 prior to this but had major issues with it. Specifically 4K passthrough and HDMI and network issues. I personally feel this player was rushed and they didn't iron everything out properly. It also won't be getting Dolby Vision, so HDR10 only.

Things that have stood out for me so far is a definite audio improvement, things working seamlessly and no networking issues with Airplay and Tunein radio which is great - it also has better menus and layout. If I had a minor complaint it would only be that the audio format isin't displayed on the front of the unit without pushing a button on the remote to show it - but that's nit picking.

I finally got my trade-in sorted today. The SC-LX701 will be here soon...and will be saying goodbye to the SC-LX58!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom