Quantcast

Keep or obtain an EU passport

m4rky_m4rk

Expats and Europhiles have you voted to express your interest in an EU passport?

The Commission will be forced to consider the proposal if a million EU citizens from across the bloc put their names to an EU citizens’ initiative backing the proposal.
European Union citizens’ initiatives were introduced by the Lisbon Treaty in 2012 to allow EU citizens to help shape the union’s policies through direct democracy.
Link to vote is here:
Your route to a European Passport Starts Here

Independent article on the subject:

Initiative launched calling for UK citizens to be issued with EU passports after Brexit

Map of voting by country is here:

Statements of support collected online - Online Collection System

The threshold needs to be crossed in 7 countries. One million in total.
Registered 11/01/2017. Expires in one year. UK threshold is 54750.

14.02.2017... UK 13%. Spain 1.55%
15.02.2017 ...UK 15%, Spain 1.74% Total 10,000

If you hover over each country on the map above you can see how many have voted and what the threshold is for that country.

Alternatively, if you have any Irish relatives you could apply for an Irish passport and dual nationality.

The great passport rush: Guardian readers on post-Brexit vote applications

My Granddad was Irish born and emigrated in the troubles to live in the UK. My sister and I will apply for Irish passports. My sister still lives in the UK, LOL, but wants to protect her kids easy access to the EU!! I am not sure if she could then pass on any EU/Irish rights to her kids? Both are in their teens and found work experience and training in the EU. One now has Spanish boyfriend, so she is getting nervous about the future.

How to find out if you're eligible for an EU passport

Or if you have enough cash you could buy an EU passport

A “citizenship by investment” scheme is offered by many countries.
eg Cyprus
The Cyprus (EU) Citizenship programme is brought to you by Cyprus Developers Alliance jointly with KPMG (Cyprus)* and Nicolaides Stylianou LLC*. Participating in the programme an investor with his family obtain Cyprus passports. This is not a residence permit or a visa but rather full citizenship of the EU-member state. The programme has already attracted over 3 billion euros of direct investments into the economy of the Republic of Cyprus.
!!!!!! eeek
The price tag is an investment of €5 million in the island

Last edited:

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
My brit one expires is 2019. I can just get an Irish one on renewal if needed.

m4rky_m4rk

UK now at 20% of the required threshold
Spain 2.7%
The rest below 1%

Predictable pattern. Only some UK Remainers and expats care about their freedom of movement and there is not enough of them voting.

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
UK now at 20% of the required threshold
Spain 2.7%
The rest below 1%

Predictable pattern. Only some UK Remainers and expats care about their freedom of movement and there is not enough of them voting.
Not even freedom of movement though? That is Schengen which the UK never signed. Once in Europe mainland you can move over land borders regardless of passport. I think this is to keep a right to live and work in a European country without visas and associated palaver.

Im old enough to remember when this was normal and somehow felt comfortable. If anybody who voted Brexit goes for this they would be a tad hypocritical methinks - part of the reason to exit was to prevent freedom of living and working in the UK for other EU citizens.

I reckon a few Bremainers like that bit quietly - but will demand an EU passport so they can continue to live and work wherever they want.

I seem to remember back in the day the demand to keep the blue UK passport was massive. Taking an EU driving licence was a battle as well. Some may have selective memory :)

Top Bottom