1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep having to repair net connection, anyone help?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rigman, Oct 9, 2005.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi

when I open the net I can surf on the site I start on but if I try and open another window or go to another website it just comes up with connection not found. I have to go into the network setting and do a repair. After that it is okay until I start the computer up the next time.

The network is a wireless lynksys system.

Can anyone tell me how to stop this happening or is it another windows mystery. It only started to happen when I changed to XP home edition.

thanks

2. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Do you have the latest service pack and updates installed on your machine?

3. Barbarosa

Barbarosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try disabling everything but "Internet Connection" and "Wireless network Connection" - in particular, disable network bridge - should help a bit.

Sounds like you are at the limit of the wireless range - I'm only 20' away but have 3 reinforced concrete walls between this PC and the access point and had very similar problems. Try an aftermarket antenna on the router and / or your PC it has improved my network reliability.

Paul

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    the XP wireless manager is a bit naff..

make sure you're using the connection manager app that came with your wireless adapter driver software, they're miles more reliable in all but a few cases..

I get exactly the same thing on my laptop if I use the XP wireless connections thingymajig.

using instead the Dell wireless manager software that came with the card drivers, no problems at all...

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I've messed around with the wirless settings in windows a bit, and I use the windows wireless connection wizard, disable the one that came with the card, and make sure your Router is broadcasting the SSID, as some cards only detect a router if this option is on, also try updating your routers firmware, and if your using security disable it temporarily and see if the problem happens, last but not least buy a new router...I recommend a microsoft MN700, but you can only get it from the USA, around £40 on ebay, but it works great for me, no problems at all, even with a belkin network card, works great on xbox live, no lag at all...

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have all the latest drivers SP2 etc and my PC is only about 8 feet away from the router so it is not that. I will try the other suggestions to see if it improves. A bit drastic buying a new router as it is not that big an issue just annoying.

Thanks for all your help

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    The XP wireless manager is where your problem lies, almost a certainty.

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I had no problems with it, I never used the new service back to wireless netowrk setup, only the default wirless manager, as long as the SSID is braodcasted and you have a good Wireless NIC, you won't have any problems, suprisingly I found the Belkin 54G PCI card quite good, only ever dropped the connection after a few months,

9. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Are you running DHCP on the router and allowing the problem machine to take DHCP? You could try using a static IP address in the Windows connection. I've found that can help. Just make sure you enter the gateway address as the IP of the router (if that's also your modem) and enter the correct DNS addresses.

10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Dude :hiya: , Sizzler

I use Linksys perfectly ok. I've never seen another app to connect my Linksys cards, they only appear to use the Windows stuff and with Linksys, it works fine :)

Broadcast SSID?! One of the first basic steps to wifi security is to NOT broadcast this. Anyway, besides that point Linksys work fine with hidden SSID's.

OP:

This sounds like a Windows XP problem as you say you can browse in IE (window 1) fine but IE 2 or 3 or ... fail. It stinks of an XP software issue. Do the very basic things first. You say you have SP2 installed, great, re-apply it! Everytime you install a driver or software package there is the potential to remove/change/replace system DLL's. This *should* remove this as a potential source of problems. Just for reference, the official MS line is that after ANY install of device or software, you re-apply a service pack.

If this fails then go into the network properties and remove everthing from that section - including the card! Reboot. This should then re-install the network card and the TCP/IP stack.

Can you clarify? If you are using IE1, switch to IE 2 and IE2 shows the error, does IE1 still work - without you fixing anything? Also, with IE2 on error, can you "Ping www.cisco.com" or if that fails, can you ping your router (probably 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1). Let us know the results and it will help clear up stuff.

11. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,575
    Oh yes, hide your SSID, it's only a basic step and you can get around it, but at least it will stop the inexperienced and nosy joyriders like myself...

My guess, is the network in your preferred list of wifi connections and set to auto-connect? Also is it on the same channel?

12. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Have to read all of this very carefully me thinks.

Yes when I open IE2 or 3 or 4 and they fail, IE1 still works. It is only when I do a repair that the others will then work. It will all work for a while then sometimes it happens again and I have to do another repair.

I am using 128bit WEP encryption. I have a directly wired PC and thet never has a problem. It is only the wireless PC. I will try a SP2 reload.

13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    OK if this is the case then transport layer is fine (i.e. your TCP.IP comms itself). This sounds more n more like a software issue with the PC.

Options:
    1 Re-Install the service pack.

2 If this does not fix the issue then uninstall/remove all networking components from the PC, reboot and let them re-install again. This *should* clear out any oddities.

Good luck and keep us informed with any/all info that looks even slightly connected.

14. adamswifty

adamswifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rigman,

Have you checked your pc for viruses etc? , when you open IE window 2 do you receive a page not found error or does the page just freeze?
    When you repair you network connection windows just releases the ip address and renews, sounds like your tcp ip stack. When you open a second window in IE, click start then run and type cmd, press enter then type ipconfig in the black dos box, check to see if you still have your ip address etc.

15. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139

In other words.

IE1 Works,
    IE2 opens and fails
    IE1 is still working
    Repair is performed
    All IE's are repaired.

At least this is my understanding :confused:

This would suggest the stack itself is not damaged as IE1 can always browse webpages even when 2,3,4, etc cannot. It may not be bound correctly but this is why i suggest re-service pack (always worth a go) and then failing that recreating the network connections.

16. adamswifty

adamswifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Id still like to clarify the definition of ‘fail’, i.e. page not displayed, hang or other error message.

To test if the tcp ip stack is fine, i guess you could run a ftp connection whilst IE 2 is open though this will only test port 21 and not 80.
    What happens when you open IE1 to a secure site (https) and IE2 the same?

17. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Some Wireless NIC's will not work if you do not broadcast the SSID, such as some USB ones and some netgear PCMCIA ones, so no need to get all smart, well the other guy at least...

18. adamswifty

adamswifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it could be your router (firewall or number of nat sessions), try opening a page local to your machine (if you don’t have one, save a page from a site to desktop), then open IE2 and try the same page.

19. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yeah ... im assuming that its timing out but we all know what "assume" stands for :D This could do with some clarification. It seems to me though that the stack *seems* ok. Testing on other ports is also a good idea.

Sizz, i wasn't getting smart. I'm merley pointing out that I use linksys as well so this is not an issue. Didn't mean to offend you. :oops: But, if you do know of cards that cannot cope with hidden SSID's i'd like to know em so I can avoid ever getting anywhere near them! :)

20. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    me too.. post brands/makes if you got 'em... very handy if true.

I know everything Netgear & 3COM make are OK, but rarely use anything else so could do with that info certainly.

without sounding too much like a broken record, I'd say it's most likely gonna be the XP wireless manager at fault in those circumstances too... :)
    SSID broadcasting actually causes more network problems than it fixes generally... but always willing to learn new tricks. :lesson:

21. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes Monty Burns your summary is correct

I have run a virus check and I am fully up to date on my virus software.

My meaning of failure is the page that apears if your connection is disconnected or you mistype a webpage which does not exist. Page not displayed along with a load more text

I will do another SP2 install tonight.

I will also do as you suggest Adam and save a webpage to my machine.

22. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Couple of ideas - what IP address is your PC being assigned (this is visible somewhere in the connection wizrd I think) - it should be something like 192.168.0.x (that is assuming you don't have some type of funky set-up). If it's not its probable the connection is not working properly at all. XP has some type of fall back option where it can't get an IP address from the router but can still manage to exchange some data with it.

Also, if you can get hold of some replacement hardware to test with. i've wasted hours of my life changing settings only to find the hardware just didn't work.

23. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,575
    You haven't got a process started newdot.dll running have you? This 'approved' trojan extends IE to provide some extra domain support, but actually can cause its connections to be termindated...

Just a thought...