Keep getting disconnected from Xbox Live since I bought a new PC

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by neil354, Jan 19, 2008.

1. neil354

neil354
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of days ago I bought a new PC which runs Vista. Ever since then I have been having problems on Xbox live.

I get about 2 minutes into a game and the connection drops off. I have a BT home hub and use a wired connection to the PC and a wired connection (via homeplugs) to the Xbox.

Within about 5 minutes of switching off the Xbox the internet connection comes back on and works fine, until the Xbox gets switched on again.

I have spoken to BT and they say that some customers are getting cut off and that they will have the problem sorted within a week.

Im not so sure that this is the problem for me, its all too much of a coinsidence that I just bought this new PC.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

Many Thanks.

2. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Have you tried powering down your PC to see if thats causing the problem ?
    I suspect it is the problem that BT said is known to them.

When you say the connection dies, do you mean from the PC too or just the xbox looses connection ?

I'm assuming you have both the PC and xbox using DHCP (where the router gives it an IP address) rather than you having entered a static IP address.

You can check the IP address on the PC by doing the following - try this both before switching on the xbox, and after the connection has died.

Start->Run then enter CMD to get the DOS command prompt
    Then enter IPCONFIG. Your PC's IP address will be listed.

Don't know how to find out the IP address which the Xbox is using i'm afraid. On my router I can see all connected equipment, but with the BT hub I don't know whether this is possible from its management utilities.

3. neil354

neil354
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It disconnects even if the PC and the Xbox are switched off. (I use my phone to connect wirelessly and it keeps getting cut off too)

BT went through the IP addresses with me over the phone so they should be ok.

Perhaps it is the problem that BT know about, I just thought it was too much of a coincidence that I just had this new PC.