1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep as spare or sell

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by timothywood, Feb 24, 2003.

1. timothywood

timothywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently have Marantz CD63 KI & PM66KI. Just been given Cryrus DAD7 & III both with PXR's ! (Generous father is upgrading !!) Have DSPE800 as processor & cinema 7 spkrs.
    HK DVD25 & Sharp XVZ90E proj. REL sub on the way.
    Currently using PM66KI as extra amp for centre channel -using pre-out of DSPE800.

Now have spare CD & do not actually need amp as the DSPE800 has centre channel amp.

Any advice for upgrade ? Is it worth selling CD/AMP - in their day excellent machines but things have moved on tons and I have no idea of their value now?

Would appreciate any advice.

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You won't get nearly as much as you paid for them, as even their successors are heavily discounted these days. :rolleyes:

As it's still quality kit, though, I would definitely hold on to them for use in a second system (bedroom? computer room? kitchen even?), or perhaps give them to a needy relative or friend who otherwise wouldn't be able to sample the delights of decent hifi? :)

Dunc

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First thing, dont sell! You would do well to get £250 for the pair, which is much too little, best as second room system..... as the pair hey will still challenge most about their price bracket..... if you can accept the slightly bright sound.

And if thats not what you want, well the ki amp will be much better as a center amp than your yamaha will be, if that matters to you.

Ad

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm also considering changing my CD63 KI. However, it's not their value in cash but in sound I'm stuck on.

I just don't like Philips/Marantz kit. It's a thing I have. However, I have to admit the KI sounds pretty good.

I wouldn't know what to go for if I change. I'm partially struck on the Arcam diva range. Had a demo and quite liked it, CD72T. Problem is I have lived with the KI for about 5 years. The change in sound would be a wrench!

As for it's market value in cash, I'd have a wild stab at say £175 or so to someone who likes Marantz. That's what I'd sell it for. It's a more valuable unit than the amp IMHO.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Looking around I found this-

http://www.audiot.co.uk/html/offers/sh/sh_cd.html

The KI is going for £299 further down the page.

Ok, you may not get dealer prices, but it shows it has held its value pretty well. A CD72 was £349 by comparison.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The KI marantz items should hold their value reasonably well,having been made as not so much limited editions,but upgraded versions of then current models(Ken Ishiwata was the engineer involved,hence KI...a well respected engineer in HiFi circles).

Personally,I'd keep them,as reserves,or for a second room,or if you have to sell them,maybe try through ebay rather than a dealer,as you may well find someone looking for one of these,and get a better price...just remember to set a sensible reserve.