Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Keene IR Extender - Top Job

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by richjthorpe, Mar 30, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just want to comment on Keenes IR Extender that I received last night. It comes with 1 x receiver, 1 x low power ouput wand to stick on equipmemt, 1 x high power wand to cover a few pieces of equipment, the distribution amp and a power supply. There are 4 low power outputs and 1 high power output on the distribution amp.

The distribution amp is a lot lighter that I expected, to the point that it seems too plasticky and that quality isn't there. But this aside, I connected it all up within 20 minutes (That is feeding the cables, sticking the wands on the equipment and doing a little tidying) to the freeview box and AV amp , closed the doors on the cabinet and fired it up.

Reception is fantastic. The freeview box which you previously had to point the remote directly at can now be pointing completely in the other direction and it will still pick up the signal.

The WAF has gone exponential as the freeview remote was very annoying. Of all the AV kit we've got, this is the cheapest thing purchased that has given SWMBO the most pleasure of owning all this AV technology. Now we have a clean looking lounge with all but the DVD player being behind closed doors. All for 40 quid.

Top Job, nice one Keene.

Richie.

2. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I got one of these, too, but I'm having problems getting the damn thing to work well with my kit.

The TiVo is quite intermittent, and the Yamaha stuff! I had to use the high power wand to cover the amp, and with the DVD player I'm finding it extraordinarily difficult to find a place for a low-powerd wand to sit. The fact that it's in the same cupboard as the high powered wand may be affecting it, but I'll have to fiddle more tonight.

Anyone got any quick and easy solutions? ;)

Jasper

3. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    OK, much happier today. Removed the blaster from the equation, and everything is responding much much better. It was obviously interfering with the low-powered signals. I looked up the correct position for the IR receiver for the amp and DVD player, and all is good.

Very happy with the kit now. The outside of the cabinet looks clean as a whistle. The inside is a wiry mess, but who cares about that!

4. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Guys - does it matter which remote is controlling the system? or can this extender be used with any universal remote?

We've recently purchased a new sideboard, and with the thick wood it has, some of the kit (mainly Sky+ and the AMP) is not responding very well to the marantz RC9500 remote.

If this is not suitable, are there any other extender I should be looking at?

Cheers.

NC.

5. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'd imagine it should be suitable. I'm using a Harmony, and was previously using a Philips multi-remote, and both seem to work very well.

Try removing the Keene receiver from the Keene amp, and then using the Marantz remote, and see if it's still controlling any of the devices - even intermittently. If it is, it's almost certainly interfering with the operation of the little wands.

If the Keene extender is working OK with your original remotes, and it's just the Marantz, I've no idea.

Good luck

Jasp