Keene IR Distribution Kit...burning smell.....!

captain69

I've just bought the Keene IR Distribution Kit to control a Sky+ box and a Panasonic EX75 DVD recorder.

It doesn't work and I can't work out why. There is a burning smell and the IR receiver is hot so I guess I may have a duff one or wired it up wrong?!

The Distribution amp shows a consistent red light but the IR receiver only shows a very feint amber light which never flickers or changes colour. If I turn the receiver over, the bottome of this same light shows green underneath.

Any guesses??

blicky_1

I've just bought the Keene IR Distribution Kit to control a Sky+ box and a Panasonic EX75 DVD recorder.

It doesn't work and I can't work out why. There is a burning smell and the IR receiver is hot so I guess I may have a duff one or wired it up wrong?!

The Distribution amp shows a consistent red light but the IR receiver only shows a very feint amber light which never flickers or changes colour. If I turn the receiver over, the bottome of this same light shows green underneath.

Any guesses??

Sounds like you got a duff one mate my distribution light only flashes when you send IR to it and the reciever does not flash at all.

captain69

What colour connector did you use to attach the power plug to the amp? I was sent a strip of connectors with six different attachments (God knows why) and 2 of them fit - the yellow and the red. I'm attaching via the yellow connector and the red light on the amp then glows constantly.

blicky_1

What colour connector did you use to attach the power plug to the amp? I was sent a strip of connectors with six different attachments (God knows why) and 2 of them fit - the yellow and the red. I'm attaching via the yellow connector and the red light on the amp then glows constantly.

Not sure on that mate as I did not get loads of connectors just one on the end of the power lead?

captain69

Anybody else with one of these? I've certainly never seen a connection like the one the power lead uses.

It's end, instead of the usual female connection, has two tiny holes and there are then a "choice" of six adapters to pick from to enable you to connect to the male connection on the amp. Ony two of the six adapters make the connection and only one, the yellow one, fits snugly.

If these are the right connectors can anyone else give advice on what may be going wrong.

blicky_1

Anybody else with one of these? I've certainly never seen a connection like the one the power lead uses.

It's end, instead of the usual female connection, has two tiny holes and there are then a "choice" of six adapters to pick from to enable you to connect to the male connection on the amp. Ony two of the six adapters make the connection and only one, the yellow one, fits snugly.

If these are the right connectors can anyone else give advice on what may be going wrong.

I guess you can put the ends on either way around?? if so it will change the plugs polarity causing possible faliure of the connected equipment (burning smell) as you could be feeding the voltage the wrong way around :eek:

captain69

The burning smell has now gone :thumbsup: and the instructions do say that the polarity is reversible so I think the power is going in OK - hence the red light permanently glowing.

Still doesn't work though. Did you have success straight out of the box or was there lots of fiddling with the receiver and wands etc?

blicky_1

The burning smell has now gone :thumbsup: and the instructions do say that the polarity is reversible so I think the power is going in OK - hence the red light permanently glowing.

Still doesn't work though. Did you have success straight out of the box or was there lots of fiddling with the receiver and wands etc?

Worked straight out of the box mate.

contraste

Hot equipment case and burning smell?

Don't leave it switched on while you are out of the house. Even small electrical components can cause a fire.

Send it back and get a replacement.

captain69

Thanks - burning smell gone but it isn't currently switched on. I'm going to give it one more go this evening and if no luck will return to Keene.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom