Keene IR Anywhere IR Over IP Module

Rick2102

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I have been looking at these: Keene Retail Ltd, Electronics making AV happen, Products and accessories for video, photography, home cinema and AV for converting any IR signals to IP signals for using Demopad or equivalent as I want to use Iphone/Ipad/Android phone/tablet for all functionality in the house (Tv's, Amps etc)

Firstly is anyone using these, and secondly does anyone have any other recommendations?

Am trying to keep on a fairly tight budget and I know that is a swear word with automation, and would appreciate any help.

Please could you help on this also: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...1656076-demopad-equivilent-android-apple.html

Thanks, Rick :smashin:

MaturityDodger

Hi Rick,
The Keene product you linked, coming as a pair and after reading the description, I don't think that it is what you want.

As I read it, the Keene products have an IR receiver in any room you want to be able to control from. This then converts it to network packets (possibly in a proprietary and/or encrypted format).
Then you have a transmitter in any room you have controllable equipment in.
So their system goes IR -> network -> IR.

You want to cut in at the network point as your input, just having tablet app -> network -> IR, if I've understood your question correctly.

A couple of things I spotted from a very quick search: SQ Blaster IR Blaster CyberSelect | Global Cache iTach

Logitech's offering looks good too - their universal remotes are very good so hopefully a similar interface: Logitech Harmony® Link (American link I know, hopefully in UK too if you look around)

MaturityDodger

I just had a thought that I might have answered your question, but missed something out that's potentially quite important.

What exactly are you trying to control with this setup? Remember that if you're just using an app for IR control, then you won't be able to browse music files on the phone/tablet screen, or get any feedback from the device to the controller. It can be hard to control something when you can't see its screen!
If you want to have that sort of functionality, then the equipment itself needs to be network-enabled.

Fulltopuk

Rick2102 said:
Hi guys,

I have been looking at these: Keene Retail Ltd, Electronics making AV happen, Products and accessories for video, photography, home cinema and AV for converting any IR signals to IP signals for using Demopad or equivalent as I want to use Iphone/Ipad/Android phone/tablet for all functionality in the house (Tv's, Amps etc)

Firstly is anyone using these, and secondly does anyone have any other recommendations?

Am trying to keep on a fairly tight budget and I know that is a swear word with automation, and would appreciate any help.

Please could you help on this also: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-automation-lighting-security-climate-control/1656076-demopad-equivilent-android-apple.html

Thanks, Rick :smashin:
The Keene modules will do exactly what you want. They can be configured in different ways but I use them for IP to IR commands for TVs and SKY. You set them up on a network ip address as a target and then blast K codes at the ip address. In theory it doesn't matter whether the app is apple or android as long as it will send UDP codes to ports on IP addresses. The main question is also what are you controlling. You can configure one unit to control many devices especially if they are in the same cabinet but if you want to control two devices with the same codes such as TVs then you need two or more KIRAs. I eventually went to a Keene Commander as I wanted to control 3 Panasonic TVs and as it was on eBay for £100 then it was a no brainer. Also the commander has a web server in it which allows you possibly to control from any device which displays web pages. Maybe this could be a solution for you?

In terms of the devices as long as you can get a wired LAN to them will have no problems with usage. They are good quality and having spoken with their technical people I have no hesitation in recommending them. Also they are cheaper than other devices, but don't offer wireless.

Finally you don't need the 128 models to store commands as the software such as Demopad and Touch Control can sent the commands directly.

Hope this helps

Fulltopuk

Rick2102

Novice Member
Hi audioenthusiast and Fulltopuk. I really appreciate your in depth responses. What I think may help is if I list what kit I will have for this part of the install that may help, I am in the process of a wiring diagram atm.

I originally was trying to run the multi room audio off one centrally located amp, but have now decided to have local amps for several reasons. 1. due to sound loss on lengths of cables, 2. makes the set up easier and 3. is more controllable.

I will list all tomorrow and try and get my diagram finished as I think this will help.

Essentially I am looking for one app that does all so convert anything that is ir to ip. I would like the app to do lighting, multi room audio (sonos/squeeze) control sky, and all tv's, digi box, my matrix and amps, which is why was looking at demopad or now irule, then ideally CCTV, gate, and intercom, and heating.

Just want to try and minimise jumping from one app to another to another and the appeal with demopad/irule is that you can have the volume for the amp say on the same screen as the sky control so you don't have to go from one app for sky to another or another part of an app for the amp.

Thanks again guys. Rick :smashin:

Rick2102

Novice Member
Hi guys, I think I have got all on here. Here is my kit, and I will tell you what will be where:

Lounge

TV on wall
PS3 - In cabinet 1
Xbox 360 - In cabinet 1
Wii - In cabinet 1
Joggler/Sonos - In cabinet 2
Amp - In cabinet 2

Dining Room

TV on wall
Amp - In cabinet 1
CD player - In cabinet 1
DVD player - In cabinet 1
Joggler/Sonos - In cabinet 1
PC - In cabinet 1
Nas drive - In cabinet 1
Sky box 1 - In Server cabinet
Sky box 2 - In Server cabinet
Bluray - In Server cabinet
Humax box - In Server cabinet
Matrix - In Server cabinet
Switch - In Server cabinet
Patch - In Server cabinet

Kitchen

Joggler/Sonos - In cupboard all together
Amp for kitchen - In cupboard all together
Amp for outside - In cupboard all together

Our bedroom/En suite

TV on wall
Joggler/Sonos - In cupboard all together
Amp - In cupboard all together
Apple TV/Media player - In cupboard all together

Basically I will be controlling this all from an app, possibly Irule after Box of Tricks recommendation with Global Cache iTach WiFi to IR as it does Apple OS and Android

Does this make more sense now?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom