1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keen Novice looking for advice on which camcorder to buy?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Jemima, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Jemima

Jemima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very keen in trying to find out more information on a purchase I would like to make on a digital camcorder. I wonder if there is anyone out there that may have an opinion on a couple I have been looking at in particular.

The Sony DCR-DVD92 and the DCRDVD7, although after reading a few reviews online I don't know if I should be considering one with a memory card rather that recording straight to DVD..... I don't have a video recorder so definitely want to be able to view my recordings through DVD format. I don't have a Firewire connection on my PC or a DVD burner currently.... Now I am thinking it maybe best to consider a cheaper option than one of the two models above and get the software and additions for my PC????

So confused as to what to do and I would like some thoughts on what you guys may think is best... I would like to try and spend my hard earned cash on something I will regret buying...

Please help :confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Please, help me to avoid getting into a flame war with a few other forum members by doing a search on here for DVD camcorder opinions before spending your hard earned. :suicide:

As for adding firewire & editing software to a PC, well this can be very cheap. If runninf XP you already have the software with Movie Maker 2. Very good, but wont burn a VCD/DVD disc. Full help with the software can be found Here.

Adding a firewire card (including the cable for connecting up the camcorder) should only cost £10-£20 online and is very easy to fit.
    A DVD burner will only cost around £30-£40 and DVD authoring software about the same again.
    So for well under £100 you will have a fair upgrade to the PC and have the best options for creating better DVD's that those created directly on a camcorder - ie chapters, and menus that the cam wont create.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions. :smashin:

Mark.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Go Mini DV and edit & burn on a PC

Look at the mid range W/S support Sony models

4. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you do decide to use your PC to edit and burn DVD's from camcorder footage (which I would recommend), ensure your PC is up to the task i.e.

1. large hard disk drive (120GB minimum). 60 minutes of uncompressed AVI footage from a camcorder takes around 16GB.

2. Pentium 4 or AMB 2400+ PC for use with latest software such as Pinnacle Studio 9 or Ulead Studio 9. Older machines will work OK if you are not using the latest version of the software.

3. 512MB memory, preferably 1GB.