1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KE50MR1 - How good is it?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alpina, Feb 15, 2005.

1. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Finally, ready to buy our 50in plasma and looking at the KE50MR1. Anyone had any real life experience with this unit? I like the look of it if that helps :)

In regards to the media box that comes with it, is that a universal cable from the plasma to the box? Reason I ask is that the cable is 3mts and we will need a longer one - at least 5mts, possibly even 8mts.

Anyway, is this screen any good or are we simply paying for the floating glass look.

Thanks,

Julie

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what price are you getting this for?

the newer and better version, the KDE-P50MRX1 can be had for under £5000.
    that model is superb in my opinion, and you certainly aren't getting a poor performer that happens to be dressed up and overcharged.

brightness, colours, detail, definition..they are all excellent, and i haven't seen better. its only failing is black level and contrast, which are just average. this TV is one of, if not, THE best 50" plasmas you can get.

the only other contenders in the stylish TV arena are Panasonic and Pioneer models. Choosing between the three is down to preference and compromise....I've personally been toying between the Panasonic & Sony for a few months now, in the end I decided to be indecisive and wait for this years new models...

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry to disagree, but if you've got this kind of budget, you can blow the picture quality out of the water. It won't say Sony on the bezel, nor will it be a 'floating glass' design. It is completely ridiculous to suggest you are not paying for the design and the name, of course you are. Nonetheless, if the fashionable look is what you want, none can deny it delivers this in spades. Best looking plasma on the market, till you turn it on.

4. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi superpixel,

definitely talking old model here (KE50MR1). i can get it for a very good price. For same price I can also get the new Fuji (P50XHA40) (hope you guys use the same model #). I suspect the Fuji is the better screen though this model has not been officially released here yet (next yet). Looking at the KE50MR1 purely on the fact that it appears to be a very good $$$ saving over rrp, looks awesome (casing wise) and presents what looks to be a very good picture. I also like the media box idea for neat cabling reasons though I suspect the cable between plasma to media box will not be long enough. how would i go about getting a longer cable?

plus for fuji is that in australia, most consider it to be the benchmark plasma.

would really appreciate some more feedback as to me this still seems like a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a tv and i need some reassurance to ensure that i'm making the right decision. feel free to pick a unit from the 2 for me :)

thanks,

julie

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We are all waiting for the 40 series Fujis now. The killer advantage promised is that they will be truly HDTV compatible. You'll find the Sony is not very HD orientated, not even the new one mentioned has a digital input. It's based on NEC glass, and their 50" glass is now a bit long in the tooth. The Fujitsu will be latest gen Panasonic glass. Obviously it's just a panel, and not a particularly stylish one either, they tend to be a tad chunky. I take it the price will be similar for these 2? So the choice is between fairly 'old tech' Sony or latest version with full HDTV compatibility. Shame the Sony looks so good really, makes the choice harder than it should be. I gather Aussie HDTV is already with you, and similar format to what is proposed over here, so if you want it there is no choice.

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, the Fujitsus are pig ugly, so are probably not an option?

I doubt its performance will outclass the Sony anyway. No plasma that I know of is the best in all departments, so universal recommendations on picture quality alone are of little use.

I can't remember the old KE-50MR1 very well, all I know is that the KDE-P50MRX1 is a fabulous TV. As for longer media box cable, I have no idea: perhaps post a new thread specifically for that.

As I said before, I think your only other realistic options are from Panasonic and Pioneer. What about the new Panasonic Viera coming this year? This should hopefully offer a similar quality picture as the Fujitsu you mention. I found it hard to decide which one I wanted, so don't think I can pick one for you! All I'll say is: I find the 50" Panasonic very dull and lacking in colour richness despite trying everything with the settings (I don't like unnatural cartoonish colours, my perfectly natural Panasonic 36" CRT is my reference). The same goes for their 42" standard definition effort, but I find their 42" high-definition professional panel is spot-on, rather strangely. I'm hoping the new panel and electronics rectify this, as otherwise it does everything else to my satisfaction.

Myself, I am waiting for the new Panasonic, then maybe new Sony's based on the latest NEC panel, and even Samsung's new panel released this year (claiming a 10000:1 contrast ratio...)

Good luck in deciding!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    How is Fujitsu panel styling any better/worse than Panny or Pioneer, NEC or Hitachi???
    Fujitsus arent PIG ugly at all.. and anything can be fitted in a custom bezel, Picture frame http://www.atlantisfurniture.com/ ........ oir behind a mirror so asthetics of a panel are really nonesense...........

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There's sense in that, but plainly you are passionate about the sony and have not seen the Fujitsu. I can speak about the XHA30, having sold and installed a fair few. I have never sold a Sony, but have been to 3 or 4 where folks have wanted work done on their system. Have not been impressed compared to the best of others. If you want a 50" with style and top picture, less money will get you a Pioneer XDE and a digital scaler, connected at 720p on HDMI. If you want still better picture, you will need a plasma you can feed native resolution digitally. This is all achievable well within the sony budget, in fact a 1/2 decent surround system could be had with the change. That's my beef with Sony, not that they are notably poor in PQ terms, they are just not as good as can be achieved with some of the best others given the money they cost. MXE pioneer and a Lumagen HDpro adds up to the same.

9. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now im really confused.

will wait for the fuji to land in australia and see if they are similarly specced as the US models.

thanks again

julie

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It shouldn't be confusing, just don't confuse style with substance. The Sony can't outperform it's glass, there is only so much contrst and brightness built in to it. Nor is it likely to out process an external unit. The cost of a top recent glass display, and a top external processor adds up to less than the price of a Sony 50". This combo will knock spots off anything else picture wise, though certainly not style wise. Simple choice.

11. roligan

roligan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just picking up on this thread as I have the opportunity to buy a KE50MR1. Just want a quick opinion on how much worse the quality is compared to todays similarly priced models.