KDS-R60XBR2, KDS-55A2000 and KDS-70R2000 (What's the difference?)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RevR, Feb 10, 2009.

1. RevR

RevR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all,

The Sony KDS-R60XBR2. Would this TV be more or less the same as the kds-55a2000 and kds-70r2000 ??

In my "wisdom" :mad: I bought one of these whilst over in the US a year or so back. Of course it only supports 1080p/60hz and will not display our 50hz version.

So what I am wondering is, would it be possible to change firmware or swap over some internal boards to turn it into a european (i.e. able to receive PAL and 1080/50hz signals)??

If it is just the case of swapping in a few european boards then am I in the market for a second hand damaged unit maybe?

Rev.

2. sloany1979

sloany1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You shouldn`t need to change anything? I can`t think of a tv that is 1080p 50hz only, most if not all 1080p tvs run at 60hz just fine. Have you just tried pluging it in and trying it? The one thing that might not work is the internal tv tuner.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. RevR

RevR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I knew that I wouldn't be able to use the TV tuner, and I have no problems with that. But I thought that HDMI being digital would be a universal format. But what I have found out is that many versions of HDMI exist.

In the US, the standard is 60 frames per second, or 1080p/60hz.
    In Europe it is 50 frames per second or 1080p/50hz.

Of course, european standard states that all european TV's must be capable of decoding both formats, but the US being the US decided I suppose that this TV should only be capable of decoding 1080p/60hz.

So when I plug in say a Sky HD box on the HDMI input, it comes up with "unsupported video signal". This is because the Sky HD box outputs 1080i/50hz and it's the 50hz that's the problem.

So i'm wondering can I swap out one of the internal boards with a european model to enable 1080/50hz ? or firmware change ?

4. Dark Eyes

Dark Eyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1