• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

KDL52XBR3 Digital Optical

delecto

Novice Member
Hi all. I’m trying to set up a new soundbar with my parent’s Sony KDL-52XBR3. I gather from research that this tv doesn’t have the HDMI (ARC) connection, so I’m trying with the digital optical cord. I’ve plugged it in, turned off the TV speakers, turned on the sound bar... no luck.

I’ve tried searching around- and it seems like *maybe* the digital optical set up on this tv doesn’t work this way? But I can’t seem to get a clear answer.

So - am I able to connect a sound bar using digital optical with this model? Do I also need to plug in an HDMI (I read that somewhere)? Is there a setting I’m missing? Or - is it time for a new tv?

thanks!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Is there a red glow at the end of the optical cable when it's plugged into your TV?
Do you have the soundbar switched to the optical input?
If yes to these, go into your TV's audio output settings and if it's set to Bitstream try changIng it to PCM.

delecto

Novice Member
Yep - the optical does have a bit of a red glow (although not super bright) and the sound bar is set to optical. There is no sound out option on this model tv (it’s about 13 years old)...

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yep - the optical does have a bit of a red glow (although not super bright) and the sound bar is set to optical. There is no sound out option on this model tv (it’s about 13 years old)...
I searched for and read the user manual for your model unfortunately the optical out only outputs from the TV's digital tuner. This means your TV cannot output it's analogue tuner or any equipment connected to the TV such as a cable box or PVR.
Page 17 states...
“Connects to the optical audio input of digital audio equipment that is PCM/Dolby* digital (OPTICAL) compatible. (DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) is only available for digital channels.)”
There are Stereo RCA Phono sockets directly below the TV's Optical socket so use them if your soundbar has an Aux in.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom