KDL40V4000 1920x1080 via VGA?

NoDad

Anyone know if this TV does 1920x1080 via VGA (PC input). Manual does not show support for this resolution.

namuk

Distinguished Member
HDMI only at that res i am afraid it should tell you all info you need to no in manual:thumbsup:

NoDad

Thanks namuk. HDMI from computer if it has the right timings I suppose. The manual says 1280x1024 max from computer via HDMI.

NoDad

Yep, done that. Page 36 says max is 1280x1024 via HDMI from a PC but I agree it will obviously do 1920x1080 in HDTV output mode (the right TV timings from the PC).

I was more interested in TVs that support 1920x1080 via the PC input (15pin D-sub). I want to use it as a PC monitor as well.

namuk

Distinguished Member
Yep, done that. Page 36 says max is 1280x1024 via HDMI from a PC but I agree it will obviously do 1920x1080 in HDTV output mode (the right TV timings from the PC).

I was more interested in TVs that support 1920x1080 via the PC input (15pin D-sub). I want to use it as a PC monitor as well.

there is no 1080p lcd tv that can do 1980x1080 or d-sub it would need to be hdmi or dvi (your tv not got)

have you tryed your pc in the tv at that res over hdmi? i am amazed that this 1080p tv does not do this even if the manual states it (or a error in manaul)

NoDad

Sorry namuk, didn't explain, I haven't bought the TV yet. I have a notebook PC with VGA output (no DVI) which I would like to use with a suitable TV which works at 1920x1080 via VGA. They do exist - some Samsung models do but I'd like to know what other choices I have.

namuk

Distinguished Member
Sorry namuk, didn't explain, I haven't bought the TV yet. I have a notebook PC with VGA output (no DVI) which I would like to use with a suitable TV which works at 1920x1080 via VGA. They do exist - some Samsung models do but I'd like to know what other choices I have.

yea looked again there is some that will do it over vga but you will get picure PQ loss also some tvs you need to edit the driver on the graphices card (do not really what to get to this stage yet):)

i will post this link in KDL Series mate and asked what you wanted:smashin:

link here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7828687#post7828687

:thumbsup:

WDeranged

I've done a fair amount of reading and experimenting with mine and I've come to the conclusion that 1080p basically doesn't work through the VGA input.

The really weird thing is that XBOX 360 users seem to be able to get it working so I dare say that with the exact powerstrip settings it could work but i've not been able to find them after many hours of experimenting.

Though people should definitely keep trying, I'd love to get my laptop running in 1080p :)

NoDad

Thanks guys for your help, I do appreciate it.

Yes, I'm familiar with powerstrip. I spent many hours trying to get my Panasonic projector to work via DVI from my desktop computer. I eventually did it at the magic 50Hz !:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If the V4000 works at 1080 via VGA with the xbox 360, then there must be settings which will work even though the manual does not list it as a supported resolution. The trouble is, you can spend your life looking for those magic settings. It's probably easier to get a display which does list 1080 via VGA.

The problem is that at £644 with a 5 year warranty, the 40V4000 is an attractive proposition. :smashin:

WDeranged

Yeah, i paid 740 for mine with no extra warranty simply because everywhere else had sold out :rolleyes:

Definitely a good screen and even though mine has a backlight bleed issue i'll be replacing it with the same model.

For the price they kick arse :smashin:

ageha

Standard Member
there is no 1080p lcd tv that can do 1980x1080 or d-sub it would need to be hdmi or dvi (your tv not got)

have you tryed your pc in the tv at that res over hdmi? i am amazed that this 1080p tv does not do this even if the manual states it (or a error in manaul)

There are lots of sets which accept 1920x1080 over VGA, nearly every Samsung and LG set does it.

Steviekid

Standard Member
Can someone please clarify for me that the 40V4000 can be easily used as a PC monitor at resolutions up to 1080p via a DVI to HDMI cable? I'm trying to decide between this TV, the 40W4000 and the 40A686 :)

ageha

Standard Member
Can someone please clarify for me that the 40V4000 can be easily used as a PC monitor at resolutions up to 1080p via a DVI to HDMI cable? I'm trying to decide between this TV, the 40W4000 and the 40A686 :)
All three will do it. Nearly every TV will do it when you use the HDMI input.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom