• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Kdl?ex500

DanMorgan09

Standard Member
Any idea when these puppies will be out in the UK (or Switzerland)?

No Sony Center exclusives?

Just when I think I had decided on a 5500 model because of all the falling prices you guys throw this at me :)

I guess the falling prices should have given the game away.

Scoubi

Standard Member
Dear All, for many weeks I have been researching the net to learn what is the most ideal LCD/Plazma for my needs. Finally I have decided to go for LCD and from Sony (I am a loyal Sony customer for over 35 years when it comes to TV or video camera)

them I have selected the W5500 series but just when I wanted purchase it I was told (early February) at a Sony centre that the new model should arr soon. It was actually after a few days that the visited Sony centre in Budspest phoned to let me know that the new models have arrive.

So now for about two weeks I got and started testing the ex500 series! I can tale you all that this a really great product from all aspects, especially the black/White ratio, 100 MHz multiflow, colours, etc. I can only recommend it to others! Br Scoubi

lanbo

Standard Member
Scoubi, I have the same model.
Are you able to use any Internet TV specific to your country? In Spain, there are 3 channels which a partnership with Sony (they are in fact shown in the stickers of the TV) but I cannot see them.

Are you able to use the Yahoo widgets? This is another of the features I'm not able to use...

I already "activated" the TV but the TV does not show any difference in any menu.

Last edited:

Scoubi

Standard Member
Dear Lanbo, thank you for your comment. Indeed this may be depending to viewing rights as well as from country to country. I have tested some of the Internet functions like the YouTube etc. (that is working well here in Hungary) but not the Yahoo widget yet. I will come back in a few days with my test results :) I guess this is very new function to Sony Bravia (at least) and since only a few people are lucky enough to have the new model the full benefits may start working later.

On the other hand I am very happy with the Multimedia PC or Media-server share and the ability to stream movies, pics or music from any laptop or pc in the house. The picture quality and speed with PS3 is also fantastic.

Have you been able to use the USB with external HDD for movies or pics?

br Scoubi

Scoubi

Standard Member
Dear Lanbo, sorry for the long delay in my reply! Actually I am not able to locate the Yahoo widgets on my LCD. I have many other widgets but not this one. The majority of them are working here. All have been preloaded so I didn't have to do any installation, just refresh internet content in the set up. Is the Yahoo widgets specific for your country or do I have to install it somehow? Here is what I have: videocast.com; podcast; singingfool; videodetective; eHow.com; livestrong; golflink; on network; howcast; dailymotion; fordmodels; digital cinema concert series (from sony); concierge.com; style; wired; epicurious; bliptv; youtube. What do you have on yours? br Scoubi

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
you shouldnt anyway have the yahoo widgets.they are available only on NX700,NX800,LX900 models.these are bravia internet video sources that the EX500 has

lanbo

Standard Member
you shouldnt anyway have the yahoo widgets.they are available only on NX700,NX800,LX900 models.these are bravia internet video sources that the EX500 has

Hi ChrisGgr,

Where did you get that these widgets should not work on an ex500?

Technical specifications claim that Internet Widgets work on this TV (at least in Sony's Spanish site)

Look here.

It's in Spanish (Sí = Yes) - Search for Widgets. It's down there in that page.

In fact, once I registered the TV I got the option to link it to my Yahoo account. Which I did. However nothing happened on the TV. I'm also unable to watch Internet Spanish channels (there are stickers with logos of these on the frame of the TV)

The guy in the shop where I bought the TV told me that these features should appear soon.

Last edited:

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
ahh then its a sony spain site error.the only models with internet widgets are NX700,NX800,LX900

lanbo

Standard Member
ahh then its a sony spain site error.the only models with internet widgets are NX700,NX800,LX900

What?

UK (EX503) and french sites also report this! Look here for Sony's French site. Gadgets Internet BRAVIA = Bravia Internet Widgets

If this is true, this is a major error from Sony. One of the reasons I bought this TV was for this feature...

ChrisCgr, where did you get that information?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
yes,it definitely is an error,all the spec sheets I ve seen so far are saying this,so its just an error.And its not surprising that its on many sony sites,since they are written centrally

lanbo

Standard Member
yes,it definitely is an error,all the spec sheets I ve seen so far are saying this,so its just an error.And its not surprising that its on many sony sites,since they are written centrally

Wow!!! Well, this is not an error. It is a VERY BIG error. I bought this TV because of these specifications. I've been recommending this TV to many of my friends operating on the stocks because of the widgets (specially, yahoo finance). I know of 2 people that bought it following my recommendation!

Sony is selling stuff with less features than those announced. They should triple-check this kind of stuff. We are talking about devices which cost thousands of euros.

I might return my TV once this is clarified from Sony. I expect an apologize if they finally accept this was an error!!:mad:

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
on the press release it was never mentioned as having internet widgets.I agree that its a big error,but sometimes things like that happen

lanbo

Standard Member
on the press release it was never mentioned as having internet widgets.I agree that its a big error,but sometimes things like that happen

Well, the technical specifications shown on their official website should be more reliable than a particular press release. Widgets may be available on the ex500 after all. Specially since the information has been displayed on their site for many weeks now. If the error was there, they should have noticed by now. People are buying NOW TVs after seeing the technical specifications on their site. I cannot imagine such an error from Sony.

alsina

Prominent Member
Well, the technical specifications shown on their official website should be more reliable than a particular press release. Widgets may be available on the ex500 after all. Specially since the information has been displayed on their site for many weeks now. If the error was there, they should have noticed by now. People are buying NOW TVs after seeing the technical specifications on their site. I cannot imagine such an error from Sony.

The spec matrix supplied to UK Sony retailers show that none of the EX range have access to 'Bravia Internet Widgets'.

lanbo

Standard Member
The spec matrix supplied to UK Sony retailers show that none of the EX range have access to 'Bravia Internet Widgets'.

So we now have 3 different specs :) Amazing... Those provided to retailers, those in their website and those provided in press releases... And all specs are different regarding EX and internet widgets... I hope they clarify the situation soon and provide widgets to all EX series. Any other solution will end up with angry costumers.

pcapoen

Standard Member

Model spec as attached.

Yes,

it s seems to be a big and unaccaptable mistake from SONY. The mistake is still present on all their site in the technical description. So , I think we have two solutions : SONY give us tha ability to use internet widget on EX series or we need to attack SONY for fraudulous information with the help of consumer group.

I will work on these two solutions in the few next days.

Best regards

wando

Standard Member
I have an EX503 and I'm having a bit of a fight with Sony at the moment in relation to their claims on what the TV should be able to do, but it doesn't do.
I have recently installed the new firmware and noticed that I am now unable to play DailyMotion videos or HD ON Network videos. Speaking with other owners, they are also unable to view these videos, even with the old firmware.
Sony are telling me that this has nothing to do with them and I should speak to DailyMotion directly.

I dispute this.
I can play DailyMotion videos from my PC without any problem therefore the DailyMotion service is active.
The promotional material for this television, including the information on the Sony website, clearly state that “it has never been easier” to watch “video sharing sites like YouTube™ and DailyMotion™ to Catch-up TV” using Bravia Internet Video “with no need for a PC”

Well, this is just not true at the moment.

Sony must acknowledge that there is a problem and do what they can to restore the service with regard to Daily Motion and ON Network.

Also, where is the promised catch-up TV?
I love this TV and I just want it to do what Sony promise it can do.

J

josephlord

EX403 and EX43b support Bravia Internet Video and are also Wifi ready. There may also be other errors, I haven't fully checked it.

wando

Standard Member
Hi there I am taking delivery of the 37ex503 on Friday. Is this still a good choice in light of the problems with Sony?

I love my 32EX503 and I am sure that in due time Sony will get their act together on this stuff.

The only problem I am having is with the inability to play DailyMotion videos and ON Network HD videos.
If this is essential for you, be aware that it currently does not work.

Personally I am pursuing it with Sony much as a matter of principle than anything else.

Sony say that their telly will play DailyMotion.
It does not, therefore Sony has to fix it.
As simple as that.

Cheers

wando

Standard Member
DailyMotion now works again.
Clearly someone must have done something to fix it.

High Def ON Networks clips are still down.

Teething problems I guess.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom