KDL-55 / 46 / 40 HX853 Owners Thread Part 6

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is a continuation of the Part 5 thread here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...dl-55-46-40-hx853-owners-thread-part-5-a.html

Last Post
Tommok said:
My comment on the 250's is that they really shouldn't need this filter, nor should Sony rely on us contacting them to send them out. Clearly they're at fault for sending something out that doesn't work properly. Really annoys me as you have to buy them separately on top of the TV only for you having to chase them to make them work properly.

I agree - poor show.

I'm having the tilt issue - what number did you ring for the filters please?

Curly

FILTERS; The number called for the filter's is simply Sony's customer service. They'll take you through the usual rigmarole of turning it on/off, resetting settings - just go with it, then request them. You'll get a quick response, usually a couple of days, but it might take up to four weeks to receive them.

As for me, I'm really lucky as I'm returning my unit so I'll be bowing out of this thread now. An additional issue reared its head in "led blinking" during broadcast TV. Given my issues with LED, methinks I'll return to Plasma...

Good luck all!

I got my Blus too. Not sure what I'm more shocked about. The fact that they've actually turned up or the fact that Yodel delivered them without trashing them to pieces

FILTERS; The number called for the filter's is simply Sony's customer service. They'll take you through the usual rigmarole of turning it on/off, resetting settings - just go with it, then request them. You'll get a quick response, usually a couple of days, but it might take up to four weeks to receive them.

As for me, I'm really lucky as I'm returning my unit so I'll be bowing out of this thread now. An additional issue reared its head in "led blinking" during broadcast TV. Given my issues with LED, methinks I'll return to Plasma...

Good luck all!

I called them today, and the initial response was to try and get me to call the sales number to 'buy' the filters. :nono:
Obviously I explained that after buying their 'flagship' TV, and then having to purchase the glasses to watch 3D content on it only to find that the glasses weren't providing me with a good 3D experience, that me having to purchase the filters to make the glasses perform in the way they were advertised as doing was probably not very good customer service.
Strangely, after asking how long ago it was when I bought the TV and me telling him 6 months, he then decided he could send out the filters under warranty! :rolleyes:

Anyway, they are out of stock, but when they are back in stock he will be sending me 3 sets of filters FOC. :smashin:

Good stuff - know your rights. The filters are not perfect but they do fix many of the issues, which is a manufacturing fault. It's shocking they asked you to buy them, frankly. I'd inform Sony's UK headquarters that it happened, if you have the time. The only way you know there's a solution is by coming online.

In my experience this last few months of TV woes, I'm suprised Watchdog in the UK hasn't investigated LCD/LED technology. There's an assumption that's been built up that you must expect a certain level of faults. Rather than improve things on a manufacturing level, consumers are consistently asked to put up with issues that effect the PQ to an almost alarming degree.

If something is sold in the UK that's not fit for purpose or of a level of quality below what you'd expect, then you should say something, whether to the retailer and manufacturer.

I'd also to see less excuses for these faults in reviews; I don't think my HX853 is typical as an example (it seems there's a number of people here happy with their 40", so I think mine has an overwhelming number of issues with it), but there's an assumption that you have to put up with them in LED/LCD's both in stores and in the media. I think this needs to stop, as for a lot of people these are luxury items that are a one-time-buy for a number of years. The assumption that they must be accepted is very wrong.

The filters are not perfect but they do fix many of the issues, which is a manufacturing fault
It isnt really a fault with the glasses sony just took the choice to have less filters on the glasses to give you brighter 3d I actually prefer the brighter 3d and I naturally don't move my head while watching tv.

The only issue I have with the tv is dse caused by the anti-glare filter but it is better than the samsung I had by miles so Im living with that 1 issue and enjoying my tv :)

Also I dont see manufacturers improving led tech as I assume oled will replace it in a couple of years.

Having the colours change when you angle your head even slightly, and the crosstalk without the filters, does show to me there's a fault. Having used them with/without, the brightness isn't really much of an issue. The improvement in PQ and clarity is worth it if you take the time to get hold of them, despite the lo-fi nature of the band-aid.

My point about manufacturing tech; I'm sure even OLED will have it's issues - I keep hearing about burn-in. The problem is when more serious faults start being considered the norm.

Anyway, that's another discussion. :) There's nothing stopping you enjoying the TV as it is. I'd imagine the faults vary from TV to TV as it is, it's personal as to whether you can put up with it or not.

and the crosstalk without the filters
I've watched a few 3d films and the crosstalk is quite minor unless i turn my head past 40 degrees maybe some glasses are faulty or maybe it depends on viewing angle etc my 3d viewing is done from dead centre 7ft away :)

The improvement in PQ and clarity is worth it if you take the time to get hold of them, despite the lo-fi nature of the band-aid
out of interest how do you apply the filters are they like stickers or what?

My point about manufacturing tech; I'm sure even OLED will have it's issues - I keep hearing about burn-in. The problem is when more serious faults start being considered the norm
The OLED in my vita has no issues with burn-in even after 13hr sessions of Persona 4 which has hud displays everrywhere I dont think its a real issue

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not going to argue about your individual experience, everyone's different! :) I will say, I've got two sets of glasses here with the same problem and have also tried the higher-end glasses as well with the same set. It's likely a faulty set, but on viewing the engineer said it was "on spec" and cleared it, despite the filters arriving the next day and fixing most of the issues. I've also read about these issues since in reviews.

If you even tilt your head by a small margin, colours do change. The warning against a green background is a good test - also, if there's grey around the letters, there's your crosstalk culprit. I also found that without the filters the picture was aliased in a similar way as you see on passive sets.

Using them seemed to fix all of these, but they're not a great solution - they don't stick to the glasses, they "slot in" (so the high-end glasses can't use this solution) with little tabs. This means that you get a double-image if they're not close enough to the lcd's. And forget about cleaning them - those finger marks are hard to remove.

Please bear in mind I'm talking about the 40" HX853 here, if you've got a larger screen it seems they're of a higher quality panel.

As for your note, about OLED burn-in on a Vita, I'm sure that's the case. But there's a big difference in that and a large TV that's on for hours at a time. Worth remembering. Certainly on my experiences I'm bearing that in mind with future purchases! :)

Last edited:
Please bear in mind I'm talking about the 40" HX853 here, if you've got a larger screen it seems they're of a higher quality panel.
Mines the 46" maybe thats the difference, I think I heard the bigger sizes have a newer VA panel in them

Good luck all!

Have you seen that Panasonic are pulling out of plasma?

Yes, sad news. I've read the new models are really great; as if last years model's weren't meant to be fantastic!

fingers crossed my dvds will come soon then
beginning of feb i sent my stuff off.

Can anyone tell me why most films on sky movies and blu-rays played on my new Sony BDPS490 blu-ray player have the letter box bands at the top and bottom of the screen? I get that they're wide screen but surely the 853 can cope with that?

I've tried various setting changes but to no avail. Seemingly the only thing I can do to get rid of the bars is to use the zoom option in the screen format menu but that messes the picture up.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong and there's a simple way to sort it?

I have a 40 inch 853

Cheers

Can anyone tell me why most films on sky movies and blu-rays played on my new Sony BDPS490 blu-ray player have the letter box bands at the top and bottom of the screen? I get that they're wide screen but surely the 853 can cope with that?

I've tried various setting changes but to no avail. Seemingly the only thing I can do to get rid of the bars is to use the zoom option in the screen format menu but that messes the picture up.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong and there's a simple way to sort it?

I have a 40 inch 853

Cheers

That's how they should look. They are filmed at a Wider aspect ratio than the 16:9 of the tv.

Zoom will crop and distort the image sacrificing image quality.

Aaron

That's how they should look. They are filmed at a Wider aspect ratio than the 16:9 of the tv.

Zoom will crop and distort the image sacrificing image quality.

Aaron

Cheers for the reply.

So there's no way to change it?

My mate has a Panasonic plasma and it automatically fills the screen but doesn't seem to mess with image quality or shape like the zoom option on the 853 does

Cheers for the reply.

So there's no way to change it?

My mate has a Panasonic plasma and it automatically fills the screen but doesn't seem to mess with image quality or shape like the zoom option on the 853 does

If the film in question was 2.35:1 it will have letterbox bars, any zoom will affect picture quality. There are some full screen films, also Itv and some other tv channels crop the image to make some films fill the screen.

If on the back of the case it says 2.35:1 or similar it will have letterbox bars.

This is why i went 55inch, as 46 was great until i watched content with letterbox bars.

Last edited:
If I connect a pc through hdmi will I be able to select the standard picture mode or does it default to pc?

It isnt really a fault with the glasses sony just took the choice to have less filters on the glasses to give you brighter 3d I actually prefer the brighter 3d and I naturally don't move my head while watching tv.

The only issue I have with the tv is dse caused by the anti-glare filter but it is better than the samsung I had by miles so Im living with that 1 issue and enjoying my tv :)

Also I dont see manufacturers improving led tech as I assume oled will replace it in a couple of years.

I was gonna ask them for the filters like i stated before and then thought to myself that i couldnt be bothered to call them as im happy with the 3d performance from the 250s and only had a problem if i tilted my head which i dont.

So all in all still a bery happy chappy with this set, ive lost count how many people have said the picture is great. And i agree it is!

Got 3d prometheus to watch tonight all being well.

Im on a 55 by the way. And like ussjtrunks said you need a major head tilt to get the dreaded colour change.

Just on a side note, i still have the swivel stand sat on the tilt stand and it works great still. Plus no ones commented on it looking silly,i think it works great ,but i would.

Last edited:
Try putting it on "clear" under the motionflow settings. It does help with the motion without screwing with the framerate.

Just got this TV and really enjoying it so far, seems like I'm lucky as my TV don't seem to have any of the problems others have mentioned, will probably mess around with the settings properly when I have some time to properly sit down with it, and get a decent calibration disk, but even with the standard settings it looks good!!

Hi there,

Just a quick one. Does anyone know if the KDL 853HX has wireless access on standby? Was hoping to ditch the remote and use the iPhone app to power it up.

Trying to get rid of the army of AV remotes :)

T1b

Hi there,

Just a quick one. Does anyone know if the KDL 853HX has wireless access on standby? Was hoping to ditch the remote and use the iPhone app to power it up.

Trying to get rid of the army of AV remotes :)

T1b

No idea, but I have a Logitech Harmony remote, and it's fantastic. With carefuly programming, I hardly ever use the other remotes, and it is controlling my TV, Bluray player, AV receiver and LED backlights! Thoroughly recommended. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom