• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

KDL-46XBR6 - USB Photo/Music Browser

drstrangepork

Standard Member
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, and hate to ask a question right out of the gate, but I'm hoping someone can lend some insight to my predicament.

I just received a Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR6. Wonderful unit, by the way. The manual and the Sony website both say that it has a Photo/Music browser mode, and the ability to read photos or music off a Sony Cybershot camera or USB thumb-drive. There are entries for both applications in the menu system, and this all is done with a side-mounted USB port (not to be confused with the back-mounted USB Diagnostic port).

In any event, neither the manual nor the website make any mention of how exactly to get this to work. I don't have a Sony camera, so I loaded some photos onto a USB thumbdrive, plugged it in, and nothing happens. Now, I've no idea how the device is supposed to be formatted, or where on it the photos should be located. I tried what I thought would be the most common combinations, that is, FAT format and photos at root, and also in a Photos folder, but I get no luck.

Sony's customer service reps have clearly not been trained in the new products yet. After he had me make sure the TV was plugged in, he could really only suggest that my "file system was bad" which is kind of meaningless.

Any thoughts? Anyone been able to get this feature to work?

nehalem

Established Member
The photo/Music browser mode is for browsing content over DLNA as far as I know, so you'd connect your BRAVIA via Ethernet to your router and browse content on your shared directories.

drstrangepork

Standard Member
The DNLA option is cool, and certainly there, but unfortunately that's not an option for me. USB seems to be included as well...

Per the manual:

Enjoying Photos and Music through USB Port
The TV offers easy access to JPEG photos and MP3 music files stored on Sony digital cameras (not supplied) connected via USB interface and Sony MICRO VAULT™ USB Flash Drives (not supplied).
It goes on to say that all I have to do is plug in the drive and the TV will display "device detected," however, that certainly never happens.

drstrangepork

Standard Member
Actually, I tried photos at root, but I haven't tried photos in DCIM. I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight.

Eventually I'll give Sony Customer Service another shot, but I think they need some time to get acquainted with the 2008 lineup. My first call started with 15 minutes of me arguing with the gentleman about whether or not the TV had a USB port. After that, it was all downhill. :(

nehalem

Established Member
Lol - oh dear. Failing that as a last resort you could always call the UK support - 08705 111 999. The European equivalent model of yours is the KDL-46X4500 so just refer to that so as not to confuse the poor guys! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom