KDL-37EX403, Help needed

Smartie36

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having lots of problems with my 37EX403U Bravia tv, today I had a new one delivered by amazon to replace the first which I believed was faulty but this new tv is exhibiting the exact same symptoms.

Basically the set seems to be resetting, or I suppose you could call it a partial reset where by the screen will turn off, a few seconds later the green power led will go out for a second & then come back on (the red standby light never lights up) followed by the sony logo appearing on screen & then the tv works as normal for about 10 minutes or so until the cycle repeats itself. I've not been counting the gap between the screen blanking out but it certainly feels like it's happening at a regular interval.

This new set today literally reset within minutes of switching it on, in fact it happened during the inital setup process which the tv had to start all over again after it reset itself.

Now through testing it seems that if I unplug the 3 hdmi devices I have connected to the tv, which are a sony hd/dvd recorder (hdr-hxd995), a philips divx dvd player & my pc connected via a dvi to hdmi cable, the resetting cycle stops. The first tv worked fine with these 3 devices connected for nearly 10 days or so before the problem first started, yet this new tv is doing it straight away!

It's possible I've ended up with 2 sets from amazon that have the same identical fault, but then what's the chances of that! Could faulty hdmi cables cause the kind of symptoms I'm experiencing with my tv? I did a search on google about faulty hdmi cables but can't find any reference to them causing a tv to reset, in fact the more I think about it it's almost like the tv software is crashing & resetting hence the screen blank.

Any input from the experts on here would be greatly appreciated as I really don't know what to do now, get amazon to send out yet another replacement or get in touch with sony & see what they say.

Last edited:
The TV is unlikely to be faulty (the 1st one was probably okay as well).
Faulty HDMI leads are common but it could also be the external equipment to blame.
You need to disconnect your external equipment and reconnect one at a time and try and pinpoint the faulty unit.

I had the tv on constantly for 6 hours today with all 3 hdmi devices disconnected & had no problems at all, so I turned it off & hooked up the philips dvp3580/05 divx player & within minutes the reset problem returned so I'd say I've found the culprit. I unplugged the philips & reconnected the other 2 hdmi devices & have been testing the tv with just those 2 items connected & it hasn't reset.

I'll pop to argos tomorrow & get the philips replaced as I've tried 2 different hdmi cables which made no difference, I wonder if the dvd player is faulty though or whether there's an incompatability with it & my ex403 bravia tv.

Somethings nagging me though, I know for sure I disconnected the 3580 when the resets were happening with the first tv when I was trying to diagnose what the problem was & the 37ex403 continued to reset itself, still I'll see what happens with the replacement.

Last edited:
Well got the new dvd player connected, tv was fine for over an hour with it connected but not long after I used the player, the tv reset itself again, I wonder if there is some weird compatibility issue between the 3580/05 & the firmware on my ex403 tv.

I have got access to a 3360/05 philips dvd player although apart from the different model number the players look identical but I'm gonna swap my 3580 for the 3360 & see what happens.

Did u used the new firmware? Because i had this problem also after installing the new FW. What i did is reset the settings to default. I think it is also mentioned bij the sony site. After a new FW its advised you set the settings to dfault first and than you can switch to your own settings.

Did u used the new firmware? Because i had this problem also after installing the new FW. What i did is reset the settings to default. I think it is also mentioned bij the sony site. After a new FW its advised you set the settings to dfault first and than you can switch to your own settings.

Thanks, I have checked and the firmware on my tv has updated automatically to the latest version, I haven't reset the settings to default yet but the tv hasn't reset since I swapped the 3850 for the 3360 dvd player so perhaps there is some conflict between the firmware on the 3850 & the bravia.

Just a stab in the dark here, but have you tried setting 'Bravia Sync' to off on the TV? This feature has caused me a few problems when trying to set up a harmony remote for a Sony TV & BD player...

Just a stab in the dark here, but have you tried setting 'Bravia Sync' to off on the TV? This feature has caused me a few problems when trying to set up a harmony remote for a Sony TV & BD player...

Yep that's one of the first things I tried, also turned off the easylink hdmi option on the philips dvd player as well but it didn't help, that dvp3580 just doesn't want to co-operate with the ex range of bravia's by the looks of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom