1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KDEP-42MRX1 Nightmare

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Viper_UK, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Viper_UK

Viper_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this forum, but thought you might like to hear my nightmare story with my plasma screen(s). Sorry it goes on a bit...

I have always been a fan of Sony and considered the product a safe bet. I liked the looks of the MRX1 and the picture/sound IMO were very good.

Screen 1
    May 05 - Bought MRX1 from sony centre, screen delivered and all well. Noticed a real annoying buzz which got worse as the week went on. Called engineer a week later, he came confirmed unit was faulty. New item ordered.

Screen 2
    Jun 05 - New screen in and working. Noticed a buzz also from the new screen, but only noticeable at low sound level. Over the following weeks, buzz seemed to be getting louder, called engineer. He came and confirmed another faulty unit. New item ordered.

Screen 3
    Jul 05 - "New" screen arrived. Got home to check unit, noticed screen burn. Called sony centre next day and engineer came to check unit, confirmed screen burn. It appears that the screen that I was told was brand new, had actually been used in store as a demo. New item ordered.

Screen 4
    Aug 05 - New screen arrived. In and working fine. 1 week later the screen started occasionally switching off then on again. 2 days later happened 5 or 6 times, then switched off for good. Called engineer next day. Engineer arrived to confirm panel was dead.

Screen 5 - no way, refused a fifth panel so got a full refund.

:thumbsdow Maybe I have been unlucky with the plasma experience, but I think I will buy a LCD now...!!!

2. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Perhaps you should give the plasma market leaders a chance: Panasonic or Pioneer. Sony is trying to get out of the plasma business.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There are now 5 manufacturers of plasma glass in the world. Pioneer, Panasonic, Hitachi/fujitsu, LG and Samsung. Now are these guys going to give away all their best secrets to 3rd party manufacturers who buy their glass? In the case of the cheapies, obviously NOT sony in this case, the glass is often not the latest development either. So before dismissing plasma technology, I'd at least give 1 of the 3 Japanese 'total' manufacturers a go. I think you have been very unlucky mind, Sony products are usually well built even if not at the cutting edge of technology in all areas.