KD65xE9005 poor picture advice

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by scuffe76, Jan 1, 2018.

1. scuffe76

scuffe76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All

I posted this on the owners thread before I realised I could make my own thread

I have had the KD65XE9005 for a few months now but have been busy with work/family so not really had time to have a play up until now.

We have an Xbox one X with Planet Earth 2 4k edition and normal sky hd. I have a 10mb d/l and 1mb u/l fibre connection

My issue is with the 4k display I am happy enough with the HD output on sky (considering the box is old) but I cannot seem to get 4k working on the Xbox x nor the built in Netflix, YouTube or Amazon Prime apps.

The TV has been calibrated with cinema home, pro and game mode as per the review on here.

Whilst on the Xbox I have tried the various picture modes, I have enabled the enhanced hdmi ports in settings and tried in all ports, I have tried two different high speed HDMI cables. The Xbox ticks all the green boxes to say it is compatible but whilst watching Planet Earth 2 it displays as “HDR” but not 4K in the top right of the information screen, is this normal or should it display 4K?

Games on the Xbox X also display as HDR only.

Youtube 4k test screens display as “Apps video” but I have set to the highest resolution but it just does not appear to be a nice sharp picture.

Netflix looks normal and Amazon prime look really bad.

Both the TV and the console have the latest firmware. I have tried removing everything from the TV apart from an ethernet cable but the Apps perform the same way.

I thought it was just me my father in law that has an older Samsung 4k at home agrees it is a poor picture and not 4k

It is the black colours that look bad you can see the shadowing around the blacks as though they are pixelated, for example a torch in the dark would look grey and blocky around the light if that makes any sense

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am now at a loss. I am now thinking about returning this TV as looking at all the reviews on here I can only say I find it frustrating and disappointing that I am not getting the same results as the majority.

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    10Mbs download speed for broadband is probably not going to be good enough for decent UHD Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. They spec a minimum 25Mbs download speed I think. (The Netflix highest UHD tier is described as 15.6Mbs, though others have suggested it is higher than this in reality)

You may, as a result, either be getting an HD stream or the lowest quality UHD stream (or there may be a 1440p one in between 1080p and 2160p)

3. scuffe76

scuffe76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for replying , is that the same for YouTube and amazon prime?

Also it doesn’t explain the issue with the UHD 4K planet earth 2 Blu-ray played through the Xbox one x?

Should 4K be displayed in the top right when checking the picture settings? I’m sure it used to until I updated the Xbox and tv firmware but I could be wrong

4. scuffe76

scuffe76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone let me know if 4k should be displayed along side HDR in the top right of picture info please ??

5. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    HDR is only available on UHD/4K sources (have you tried the info [i+] button on the remote) ...
    Are you sure you have a fibre (glass) connection? Those are some really slow speeds, especially the upload (even if irrelevant here). Definitely not enough for Youtube 4K (>20Mbps); Netflix UHD kicks in at around 8Mbps but probably not the HDR stream yet(?) and at 8Mbps it's not really going to look that good.
    Or is it 10MB/s (a 100/10 Mbps connection)?

6. scuffe76

scuffe76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes it is fibre but probably only from the cabinet and copper from my house. I have just run a speed test and got 10.6mb download and 0.61 upload.

Ignoring the streaming services when I play planet earth 2 on the Xbox the info button says it’s 3840 x 2160p and the action > picture option reports hdmi 2 - HDR but no mention of 4K - should it say 4K ?

To me the picture is good but not much better than my old tv

7. Spendy26

Spendy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    4K UHD (2160p) a resolution of 3840 pixels × 2160 lines (8.3 megapixels, aspect ratio 16:9) and is one of the two resolutions of ultra high definition television targeted towards consumer television, the other being 8K UHD which is 7680 pixels × 4320 lines (33.2 megapixels).

8. meltonglyn

meltonglyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You are getting 4K through the Xbox then

9. scuffe76

scuffe76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I did speak to John Lewis who put me through to Sony , they confirmed it does not display "4K" in the top right only "HDR".
    I guess I am getting the 4K picture but I am a little underwhelmed with the picture quality. Sony want me to take small video clips and email them but I’m not sure how that will show the actual display correctly. Maybe it is what it is and I was expecting something that’s not possible and to be fair both John Lewis and Sony did seem helpful.
    Thanks for all your replies I will continue playing with the calibration when I get the time

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  10. Spendy26

Spendy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Might be the actual content your watching as well. I have found not all 4k video that great can be hit and miss just like watching different blue rays. I think the possible issue like mentioned before is your internet speed.

11. scuffe76

scuffe76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Spendy26

I agree the internet may be the issue so I have ruled that out so I was just testing the Xbox X playing Planet Earth 2 4k UHD , unless the xbox x player is at fault.
    I think I will give up and accept it for what it is I only want to watch the bloody telly

12. md178

md178

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Watch the 4k glass blowing video on YouTube, looks stunning. Also The Man in the High Castle is a fantastic HDR demo and really shows what this TV is capable of.

13. scuffe76

scuffe76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony was supposed to call me today between 10am and midday but still no call and no response to the emails they asked me to send. Is this the norm?

edit - they called at 3pm to say they couldn't see the issue in my videos and send more videos that are longer but smaller in size? Anyway they will call me back Tuesday between 10 and 12 so I will await the 3 o clock call.

Think I will try and have a good play with the colours this weekend and try to convince myself it is all ok

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  14. Elevon

Elevon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    You do know the XBOX X has issues with blacks and bluray?.. Info here Microsoft Responds To Xbox One X 4K Blu-ray Problem - And It's Good News .

15. scuffe76

scuffe76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Xbox X is all up to date.
    So is Sky Q an option or anyone of watching 4k content from a USB drive?
    If my broadband is rubbish and my Xbox is debatable is there any other option than Sky Q or purchasing a dedicated 4k Bluray player?

16. scuffe76

scuffe76
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all
    just an update if anyone is interested, I purchased Pacific rim and close encounters (had to be done) on 4k. I haven't managed to watch them for more than 10 minutes but again they were just good but not great.
    So today I downloaded a load of 4k/hdr demos from Sony, LG and Samsung and played them via a usb 3 drive and finally I get it they do look amazing, I changed to vivid and the colour's, blacks and details were amazing.
    I guess the Xbox X still may have issues with the built in player even though its on the latest firmware and my broadband is rubbish so I will have to download the 4k films and learn to speak Russian
    Thank you all for your input