KD43X8309CB - Any links to reviews

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Winchesterclub, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Lads
    Anyone have link or review of the Sony KD43X8309CB 4K ?
    I cant find any reviews or write ups about this one and i am considering this as my next purchase
    i have managed to re vamp the living room and can now accommodate a 42/43" set
    of course any other recommendations are welcome 4K or not would like to be smart though and this years model ! ( if that matters ?)

Cheers

Wayne

interesting kettle terence

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,855
    I suggest changing the title so people know what model you are referring to.

3. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I couldn't find any via Google :(

4. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How do you edit the title Trollslayer ?
    Yes i know Martin had a good search myself but nothing !!, looks a great TV but Sony would say that would"nt they :rolleyes:

Cheers

Wayne

5. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,855
    I think you just edit the first message.

6. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,398
    There you go ;)

7. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well done that Man , you got the magic touch :clap:
    still no reviews though :(
    i will broaden the search the best 42" tv out there at the moment….. come on people

Cheers

Wayne

8. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Wayne,

I made a trip to my local PC World/Currys "megastore" at the weekend, and they had a KD43W83 there - it looked very nice. In standard "demo" mode it had a lot of contrast and saturation (but looked a little less "OTT" than the equivalent Samsung or LG), but when set to "movie" mode it produced a very "natural" image. I couldn't see any obvious uniformity/bleed issues, blacks were deep without being overwhelming shadow detail, and motion handling and viewing angles were good. The trailer for one of the Spiderman films (night-time scene) looked very nice on it.

Dunno if that helps?

++EDIT: I would also say have a look at the W80. I did a side-by-side comparison of the two (the Sony rep kindly synced the Spiderman trailer to run on both at the same time), and at around 6-7', the X83 looked a hair better when running video (but it was very close), but as soon as you displayed a still (i.e. paused the video), the X83 was noticably more detailed.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  9. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Martin
    That"s great to hear ! , i will go and have a look myself , but it sounds like you were impressed?, i understand it was in "showroom" conditions but it sounds like it could deal with most conditions etc..
    i will hopefully get out to see for myself soon, but i must start narrowing down my search otherwise i will never chose !!, thanks again i presume the sound would benefit from a Soundbar / base

Regards

Wayne

10. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, it's fair to say I was impressed. I also had a look in John Lewis over lunch with a colleague, and they thought it was fantastic too - easily as good as theirs (a Samsung F8000). In my opinion, it looked nicer than the Samsung JU7000 (which I thought was my "main" candidate based on paper specs), which looked a bit "over-processed" (too much sharpening) in the move mode.

Yup, it coped with the standard Sony "showreel" of wildlife/nature documentary clips, and the Spiderman trailer, and looked great whilst doing it. That included some night-time and high-contrast scenes (sunrise silhouettes, African days), as well as some action. Viewing angles were really rather good, too.

Yeah, that's a must, as we all have different tastes. FYI, my local John Lewis had 3 of them on display (2 identical black ones, and a silver one), so it might be quite easy to find in stock somewhere. I also saw a CX802B in the local Panasonic store on the way back, and it looked really nice, too...

Indeed, that's a problem - I suffered from model number paralysis/confusion!

The Sony rep made a point of the sound from the speakers being reflected forwards, rather than down, which is supposed to produce a clearer sound. I had a listen in Currys, and it sounded clear and well-balanced (unlike the LG UF850V, which had somewhat "harsh" trebles, especially with the volume up) - I'm not sure how loud it would go, or how much bass you'd get (my impression was "quality over quantity"), although it can be hard to tell given that they were playing music over the tannoy. Having said that, I'm sure the addition of a good-quality sound bar would be an improvement for fairly obvious reasons (I think they're doing an offer on them at the moment).

11. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Martin
    i think i will come to you for my reviews from now on :clap:
    i have a Sony shop close to me so i have look at their set up (if they have it in stock)
    small showroom may be able to get a more "at home" feel to viewing ?
    I realise there isn't much 4K about at the moment but the upscaling sounds / looks pretty impressive and as this is the main TV in the house the smart side of things looks on trend as well
    especially for Spotify hence the sound bar question , and gaming looks well catered for
    this one seems to be the best in the field at the moment at this size , but i did read the Panasonic review 5 stars and cheaper to as well , more decisions eh !!

Cheers

Wayne

12. Stevie1969

Stevie1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This seems to be the only 4k TV available at 43 inch atm.
    Panasonic,Samsung etc seem to start at 40 then jump to 48..
    Reckon the Sony 1080p range could turn out to be a bit
    Of a bargain this year :thumbsup:

13. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Stevie
    Yes the Sony KD43X8309CB 4K, is the only one i have seen at 43"
    which is the biggest i can go to space wise, John Lewis, Richersounds have it on for £849 atm

Cheers

Wayne

14. Stevie1969

Stevie1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Wayne
    John Lewis are also offering £50 off when trading-in your old TV
    Their returns policy if you're not happy, is also second to none in my experience!
    Reviews really seem to be thin on the ground for a lot of these sets atm
    Steve

15. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Steve
    Yes i saw this , think the daughter has put her name on the Panasonic it maybe replacing though !!
    Certainly struggling to find any reviews , still Martin gave me a good insight , as i said before its a minefield but for some reason this set has stuck in the front of my mind for a while , whether that's a good enough reason or not... i would of thought you are ok with Sony ?

Cheers

Wayne

16. Stevie1969

Stevie1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah got a Sony W905 40 inch from a couple of years back and it's
    always been excellent!
    Prefer motion on it to my Panny plasma that ive just put up for sale
    On here in the classifieds.
    Always thought the Samsung sets give a more over processed look than Sony,
    and the Panny's I've seen are worse for motion!
    Can't really comment on this year's models yet mind.
    Steve

17. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I've just purchased the 49" version from my local Currys and am very (very) impressed with it. Stunning looking set and brilliant picture quality.
    Have watched a few 4k "trailers" on YouTube and even my wife was impressed, which is never easy! I have always had problems (haven't we all) justifying a purchase to her, but she can see why I did it now.
    Am waiting for the S7200 4k player to arrive along with the CT-380 soundbar, which should both be here today.
    Looking forward to getting it all up and running, and seeing what sort of job the player makes of upscaling.
    Only "problem" I have so far is with the EPG. I can't seem to "marker" a programme for later viewing, but it could be something I'm doing wrong. Have contacted Sony about it, and am waiting for a response.
    But other than that, well chuffed.

18. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Smiffy
    Thanks for your review , does sound impressive, just like you half the battle is trying to get "er indoors" to go with it !!
    but these reviews all help me :clap:
    Easy to set up and get running ? , i have Virgin so will be running that through it also PS3
    Let me know when you start getting to grips with the smart side of things .. using your phone for pictures Spotify etc...
    funnily enough i was looking sound bars /bases to go with it , so hopefully you will say it"s definately worth getting one

Cheers

Wayne

19. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Well I'm only using the actual set at the moment so only time will tell!
    Easy enough so far, biggest "headache" was a massive software update which took quite a while to download, and the navigation is totally different to my previous Sammy, but other than that, all good.
    Will let you know once I've got the peripherals up and working
    ;)

20. carl_d

carl_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    did you get the x8305/7/9c?

From what i've seen so far the black is 8305 (800Hz), Silver is 8307 (900hz) and there is a listed 8309 (1000Hz) that i have only seen available via Currys (urgh). Not sure if this would make a material difference. Seems weird to have spec aligned to colour (and they are all the same list price).

I am toying between the x83 (43), Ju7000 (40) and CX802 (40) as can't get the wife to accept anything near 50" and these seem like the best in the price/size bracket. Sony seems the best fit but am a little worried about the UI.

Wish review sites would catch up!!

21. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Carl
    No not yet !, same boat as you really has to be 43" max and the Sony seems to be the best but as and i have pointed out no reviews as yet unlike the Panny that get"s a five star review

Panasonic TX-40CX680B review | What Hi-Fi?

At least Smiffy is giving us an insight and he seems well impressed, and i do like the "man in the street reviews", as they are honest !, still leaning to the Sony though

Cheers

Wayne

22. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know I've said it already, but if you've not managed to, I'd recommend also having a look at the 40" version of the Panasonic CX802B - Richer Sounds are listing it at £1099, but there's a £125 discount code and £100 cashback, making it £875 (i.e. the same price). One of my colleagues had a look and was really impressed with it, saying it was noticably better than their Pioneer Kuro. The W80 is really nice too, even though it's not 4K.

I've had a look at a lot of TVs over the last week (Samsung J5500, JU6400, JU7000, LG LF580V, UF630V, UF850V, Sony W755, W80, X83, X85, Panasonic CS520, CX608, CX802), and to my mind the Sonys and Panasonics look the best (although it is personal preference).

I would note that being based on a "new" OS (Android), the Sonys appear to be missing the odd bit - - slightly more so than the other 2015 models (like most 2015 TVs some of the catchup stuff is/was until recently "coming soon", but recording to HDD isn't due until October).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  23. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Martin
    I will certainly put some time aside in the next week or two to go and have a good look, at least i can narrow it down to the Sony or Panasonic ? and then come out of the shop with something totally different no doubt ! ;)

Cheers

Wayne

24. carl_d

carl_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was hoping to test run the Sony 43X930n and the Panny CX802b this week down a RC. not sure i can get down there to do it now so really keen to see your thoughts this week.

The Sony interface is the worry for me (got some pretty damning reviews and seems heavily gaming focused which is odd) but I do like the idea of youview baked in. The Panny looks simpler and cleaner (but possibly less content?).

In truth it really comes down to the images presented i guess as who knows how long any of the "smart" services will be supported for!

25. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Well after a week or so with the new TV I've got mixed feelings...
    I have no complaints at all with the picture quality. HD viewing is perfect, SD is as good as anything I have owned before.
    What little 4k content I've watched (via YouTube clips) is visually stunning.
    But I still cannot get my head around the fact that the programme guide will not let me "marker" a programme for later viewing. It is really bugging me.
    I have emailed Sony support to try to find out what is going on, I have, at their request, taken pictures of the "fault" as it appears on screen.
    They emailed me today to confirm that there would be a software update today which would possibly remedy things. Well guess what Sony...... it hasn't.
    I can marker a programme on my Humax, I could marker a programme on all of the other tellies I have owned before.
    Why can't I do it on this one?????

26. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Smiffy
    Sorry to hear about this !, out of interest are you trying to mark a programme through freeview ?, its a little thing but it ruins the overall love for the TV, as it seems the picture is about spot on , until this is resolved i expect you cant move on and try all the set has to offer

Cheers

Wayne

27. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @smiffy - that sounds annoying. :( Oddly, I saw on here that Panasonic's 2015 TVs (intentionally) removed this feature, too..

28. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi LADS
    Smiffy did you ever get the marker issue sorted on the Sony ?, or have you given up and got it replaced
    Quick question Lads hope to get to JL , RS and the local Sony shop next week to have a look myself at the 43X (amongst others!!), just a point how much do RS charge for installation
    with JL charging £55 for a set up ?

Cheers

Wayne

29. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Last year i used richer sounds installation and they charged £60 per hour, i had them for two hours to wall mount a tv and set it up.

30. Winchesterclub

Winchesterclub
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Simon
    Not much in the price then , mind you i am /will just having a basic set up tv , Virgin box , soundbar, PS3
    May sound a bit lazy but i have heard so many different accounts on the best way to set up each piece may as well get it done properly, i presume they are helpful Simon and know there stuff...

Cheers

Wayne