1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KD32DX200 halo/shadow problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mdinch, Sep 29, 2004.

1. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this tv for a week and noticed an effect which I can only describe as a halo or shadow effect around objects. This effect is more obvious when displaying graphics, Sky's blue banner at the bottom of the screen for example.
    I've tried it different modes, DRC off, DRC50, DRC100, DNR off, etc and just cant get rid of it. I can reduce the effect to some extent by reducing the sharpness to 0, but that less then ideal.
    What's really puzzling me is that I cant see this effect when viewing the tv's own menu graphics.

Is this the 'smear' effect that some people have been experiencing on other Sony models or is it a 100Hz effect?

Could this be a delay line problem (where the colour information is displaced from the b/w information)? If so, does any one know how to make this adjustment from the service menu for this model?

Any one ? :lease:

2. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that it was over scanning to the left by quite a bit. I have now centred the picture using a THX optimizing test card from one of my DVD's and loot a lot better now.

Can over scanning cause this halo effect?

However, Sky's graphics still looks bad. Perhaps it was bad all the time but just didn’t notice it on my old Sony tv.

Talking of DVD's, my DVD player is set to RGB and connected to AV2 on my tv. The problem is that it produces a very bright picture making black areas look gray. My old Sony tv didn't this and I haven't got the brightness up too high either as Sky and terrestrial channels looks fine.

Does anyone else have this problem?

3. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Sounds like the SVM, to confirm I think most sony sets disable SVM when in game or live mode or something like that. Unfortunately I think when you are in this mode some picture options are no longer available. SVM may be able to be disabled in the service menu or perhaps by a hardware mod.

4. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi scooby_do.

What is SVM and where would I find it in the serivce menu?
    Will this fix the brightness problem or the halo?

Thanks in advance.

5. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    SVM (scan velocity modulation) is a way of making Tv sets stand out from the crowd when in showrooms etc. Not sure if it can be done from the service menu hopefully someone else will come along and confirm deny. I have disabled SVM via a hardware mod on the actual Guns themselves. Confirm if it is SVM by trying one of the other preset modes (if this model disables SVM when selected?). SVM tries to enhance the picture but it creates "ringing" and other such nasties. Once SVM was disabled on my set SKY text is monitor quality and the over all picture is 20% better than with SVM.

6. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'ringing' you describe sounds like what's happening.

I read somewhere that the 'movie' option switches the SVM off. Can anyone confirm this?

7. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    On KV32Tweak...it says there is an SVM adjustment in the "backend menu" of the service menu under "VM level". This applies to the KV32FX60/65 but it's worth a look.

BTW....how are you accessing the service menu?

8. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i,5,vol+,[]

9. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks... :smashin:

Let us know if VM level's in there.

10. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I forgot to say put your tv in standby first and then i,5,vol+,[] which brings the tv back on displaying TT__ on the upper LHS of the screen.

11. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Got to be careful as some Sony chassis despite setting VM to 0 when you come out of the service menu Vm is set back to what it was before

12. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thats good then.....not :D I really don't understand why it should be such a challenge to get the best out of these things...its not like their cheap is it :mad:

13. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After adjusting the contrast ,brightness ,colour and sharpness to my liking, I thinks its just a matter of getting used to the way my new tv looks rather than looking for faults and comparing it to my old Sony.

However, it seems that my vertical trapezium (v-trap) is slightly out. I looked in the service menu for this adjustment but cant find it any ware. I found the h-trap but no v-trap.

Does anyone have any ideas where it is for the dx200?

14. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, I tried it over the weekend and setting it to 'movie' mode makes the TV much more watchable and the Sky menus look perfect. If only I could get the TV to remember a changed contrast setting (the only one available to change on movie mode) and not reset it every time it is switched off or changed to a different mode.

I'll have to have a look at the service menu to see if I can disable SVM as it was really beginning to bug me. If not, I can live with movie mode.

Does anyone else have a noticable 'bowing' upwards at the bottom of the picture? If so, how bad is it, and is it something I should learn to live with. I returned a 32" FQ70 for the same problem (only far worse), and may not have even noticed it on this set if it hadn't been for that. Now I find myself looking for it all the time, but from reading these forums it appears to be a common problem with most 32" widescreen CRTs. I really don't want the hassle of replacing another TV unless absolutely necessary, so i'd appreciate your comments.

15. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    As per Kp 44 perhaps adjustment of Sub bright, Sub contrast would give you the correct contrast etc for movie mode. Or perhaps just change contrast itself from within the service mode it may overide the Movie mode settings. I suspect Sub control would be better as this is what I used to set my KP 44 up so that if anyone resets configuration data it is set to what AVIA says my setting would be. Please be aware that I have no exprience of the KD 32 so this may not apply.
    No Descr. Def. Min Max Data
    1 D-Col OFF OFF ON OFF
    2 Contrast 44 0 63 31
    3 Limit-Lvl 3 0 3 3
    4 Hue 32 0 63 32
    5 Colour 31 0 63 26
    6 CTI-Level 2 0 3 2
    7 Brightness 31 0 63 31
    8 Gamma 3 0 3 3
    9 Sharpness 31 0 63 16
    10 R-Drive 31 0 63 27
    11 G-Drive 31 0 63 31
    12 B-Drive 31 0 63 25
    13 Sub Bright 31 0 63 31
    14 VM-Level 2 0 3 2
    15 R-Cutoff 31 0 63 31
    16 Pre/Over 2 0 3 2
    17 G-Cutoff 31 0 63 31
    18 DPIC-Level 1 0 3 1
    19 B-Cutoff 31 0 63 31
    20 DC-Tran. 0 0 3 0
    21 Sub-Cont. 10 0 15 10
    22 LRGB2-Lvl 8 0 15 8
    23 P-Abl 15 0 15 15
    24 Sharp. F0 ON OFF ON ON
    25 CB-Offset1 7 0 15 7
    26 CR-Offset1 7 0 15 7
    27 CB-Offset2 7 0 15 7
    28 CR-Offset2 7 0 15 7
    29 Sub Colour 0 –8 8 –1

16. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the confirmation DoomWolf. I tried it as well and found that the halo effect does indeed disappear in the movie mode.

I have an engineer booked to sort out the v-trap alignment.

Mel.

17. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The engineer arrived and didn't even attempt to fix the problem. He said that I can have a replacement to which I agreed.

I received my replacement on Saturday. :thumbsup: Went through the initial setup with excitement. The geometry was near perfect. But where is the sound? :mad: :censored: All I'm getting is a very bassy sound. :censored: Checked the sound setting, all set to flat eq. Another phone call to Curry's. :mad: I'm getting my 3rd set on next Saturday.