KD28DL11u owners in here please ;)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ColonelK, Mar 15, 2005.

1. ColonelK

ColonelK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Got mine delivered yesterday. After 90 minutes of modifying the stand I got it up and running.

Questions specific to the set.

The geometry looks slightly out and I didn't get time to look in the manual about how to fix it. Is there some kind of service menu thats accessible to alter it? Specifically it bends towards the middle of the screen in the four corners.

Also, are there any recommended settings for the set that experienced owners use?

Finally, I'm connecting it up to a Panasonic E65 DVD Recorder. I've got AV1 from the Panny into AV1 of the TV, and AV2 of the Panny into AV2 of the TV (to take advantage of the smartlink feature). I've then got the aerial feed from the wall into the Digital in of the TV. Should I connect any more RF leads to the analogue in of the DVD recorder? If I do what advantage does it give me?

Also,

Anyone else find that the manufacturers made a cock up on the stand? I had real problems with it.

I'm an experienced DIY person so I know how to self assemble! :smashin:

The main problem was the front two legs. They must have thrown them in the wrong piles and therefore got all the screw holes messed up, because any which way I tried I could not get all of the 4 holes on each leg lined up at all. Max I could get lined up was 3 out of 4, then it was so obviously not positioned correctly that the front panel would not fit on!. So I screwed them on using the middle two screws only for each leg and found that the front plastic leg covers would fit ok-ish.

Then because the screws were out, the angle of the cut into the legs (where the glass shelves slide in) was all out too. I had to saw a deeper angle into the legs, and carefully bore it out with my drill. Once that was done, I could get the glass slid in and in position.

So then i come to attach the front fascia panels on the legs, and now the supplied screws were too short to reach the holes in the plastic through the wood, so off I trot to find some longer ones. Eventually its assembled and to be honest probably looks no different that if they would have done it properly in the first place. Telly fits on it nicely and it finally looks nice. :beer:

Thanks in advance, and I hope you had less trouble with your stands !!

Ck

2. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I found this thread very helpful - make sure you write down the original settings first, whatever you do :) Also, ensure you do any tweaks in widescreen mode (16:9) - to access the service menu :

i+ then 5 then VOL+ then [] (the last one is the button under the DIGITAL button. Then press MENU, select Geometry then the right cursor arrow.

The settings posted by someone in there don't do the job for me - I guess each individual set is going to be different. After about three weeks of tweaking, I've finally got it just about right (can give you my settings if it helps ?).

The stand - I rent my TV, and Martin Dawes had already built it for me - now a charming coffee table, as the TV sits on a luxurious pine AV unit.

Generally a nice TV, but the woeful geometry on these sets leaving the factory means there must be a whole bunch of people out there who have poorly set up TV pictures :(

3. ColonelK

ColonelK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd be grateful if you'd postyour settings please Clayts m8.

I tried the settings in that thread and they were terrible for me :(

Maybe each set is different like you say, but I'm not totally happy with mine yet.

One question, can you enter the service menu whilst it is switched on? I don't like turning it off and on again too many times in a session whilst trying to tweak

Ta

CK

4. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    My settings are :

V-Linearity 33
    V-Scroll 31
    Left-HBlk 7
    Right-HBlk 4
    V-Angle 39
    V-Bow 33
    H-Centre 35
    H-Size 60
    Pin-Amp 33
    U-Corner-Pin 19
    L-Corner-Pin 17
    Pin Phase 37
    V-Slope 38
    V-Size 34
    S-Correction 11
    V-Centre 31
    V-Zoom 25
    Magneta 50
    DY-Tilt 31

The biggest problem I had was with the stupendously wrong V-ZOOM settingwhich was at 36, and the V-SCROLL which was at 36. This meant that in 16:9 mode, the on screen logos/scorecards were virtually missing. In addition, the H-CENTRE setting was out of kilter completely.

These are the ones worth tweaking, then you can focus on the finer tuning, such as the PIN-AMP, PIN-PHASE, U-CORNER-PIN and L-CORNER-PIN and LEFT-HBLK and RIGHT-HBLK - the latter two tweaks stopped the little fold ins at the top left hand and right hand edges of the screen.

I don't profess to have it 100% correct, but it's certainly a damn sight finer than the factory settings - you may find that SMART mode actually gives you a slightly better picture with these settings.

It's also worth using the THX OPTIMODE feature on discs such as Phantom Menace, Terminator 2, etc, although this is by no means completely accurate - if nothing else it allows you to sort out some convergence issues. Ignore the 4:3/16:9 test (the circle in a square) as the test is set up wrongly.

On accessing the menu, you can only do this from STANDBY, but to return the set to normal after finishing your tweaking, come out of the MENU (press MENU) so you reach the screen with TT on it, then tap in 00 - that returns the TV to normal mode without the need to switch off.

Oh, and watch the H-CENTRE setting - sometimes you have to over-compensate to get it to the setting you want (you'll soon notice as when you exit the Geometry menu screen, the whole picture will jump across the screen slightly.... eg to get to 35 from 28 you may need to set it to something silly like 42. Doesn't do it all the time, mind, so try normal settings first.

As I say, I'm fairly certain every TV is gonna be different, so it may be a case of experimenting until you get it right. Just make sure you write down the original settings before you do anything :)

Let me know how you get on...

5. ColonelK

ColonelK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wrote the original settings down before I did my first batch of tweaking ;)

I'll have a go when i get home from work tonight.

Thanks m8

CK

6. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Good luck - let me know how you get on. I'm not sure any DL11 owners have got perfect geometry, mind, going by the threads here :)

7. ColonelK

ColonelK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Clayts m8

Tried your settings and they improve some parts of the screen to the detriment of others. Specifically, in 4:3 mode broadcasts the left and right edges (from top to bottom of the screen) are not truly straight. That part was better with my last settings.

I'll continue to fiddle and post back when i've got perfect (for my set) settings to post

Thanks

CK

8. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yeah, I agree it's far from perfect, but how often do you actually need 4:3 or 14:9 ?

SMART mode appears to be the best, actually, which maybe indicates it ain't right yet...

9. drlunanerd

drlunanerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops! I had the same problem with the stand as you, until I realised that the legs were on the wrong way round! The giveaway was being unable to slide the glass shelves in... Whipped em off, reassembled and now everything fits fine.

Love the DL11 which I had delivered today, but unfortunately mine has a dirty pink vertical band on the left side. It really stands out on white/light pictures. Is not magnetic interference as have moved the TV around with no change. Have informed the supplier (Digital Direct) and am now waiting for a response. It's shame as otherwise I think it's a lot of TV for the money.

10. zxrkid

zxrkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. roundboy

roundboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There

I needed some adjustment to geometry settings & followed what was recomended above, I had written down the original settings for the "widescreen mode" so I don't get in trouble.

But what I didn't realise that after I had put my new settings in for the wide screen mode, that I "accendently" had it switched on 4:3 Mode.

What I didn't realise that what ever setting you change in any mode will affect the others, I only realised this when I went back to "wide mode" and tried to put back the original settings & still didn't look right.

So what I should of done is write down the settings for each mode before I messed with it.

So can any one be so kind, to give me the original geometry settings for 4:3, 4:9, zoom, wide & smart? or is there a better way to deal with this, like a reset button some where?

I would be forever in your debt

Cheers

12. shmickmik

shmickmik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow i could really REALLY do withthe default settings aswell... i did jot them down before i played with them.. HOWEVER the piece of paper was thrown out and im really stuffed atm!

i would really really REALLLLLLYYYYYY be forever greatful for teh default settings in the DESIGN menu.. plzzzzz