KD28DL10 grainy picture

Londondecca

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After recently saying how much I liked my new KD28DL10, after watching quite a lot of TV and DVDs, it is now clear that the picture quality is very grainy. At first I thought it was due to watching a lot of older programmes but it is consistent not matter what type of programme and is not quite as bad with DVDs but is no where near the quality of my 3 previous panasonic DT4's. My cheap portable has better picture quality. I think it is What TV, has given this TV a glowing review with a grade of 5/5!

As this will be my fourth TV from Comet, what can be done to ensure I am not so unlucky next time.

Steven

Please see my thread on this TV

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112578

I must say that the KD28DL10 picture I have had on both sets is superb other than the the problem I describe in that thread. DVD playback is very good with RGB. Are you experiencing this in analogue and digital? If in digital can I ask that you check to see if the same problem I describe is there - look very carefully for vertical banding. As this effect is always there in the background (and has varied in colour/intensity between the two tvs I have had) it could be contributing to the 'graininess' you describe.

Analogue pictures are poor, snowy and generally all the signs of a weak signal. None of the previous TV's had this problem with analogue pictures. As for digital, yes I do have the banding that you describe.

As for the grainy pictures, I now think it could be a pixel problem. I am not sure what the technical terms are but there are times when the resolution seems to fall and 'blocks' of pixels are visible, this is very clear during high speed movements. DVD pictures through RGB is better but is to the same standard as digital pictures with my previous panasonic DT4.

Some of what you are describing sounds like MPEG style artifacts with the digital signal, maybe due to weak signal strength or low bit rate. If the telly is bigger than your Panny, analogue pics will look worse and again this sounds like a weak signal. With dvd bigger tube size will degrade the pic but artifacts should be more infequent with newer higher quality encoded dvds.

Some things to think about perhaps, dvd is your best tester of the tube itself I would say.

cosaw

Thanks, all the TV's are 28". Are MPEG issues down to signal quality or based around the TV itself.

Watching any DVD and you would think the films are quite old. Monsters Inc or Terminator 3 look as if they are 20 years old. I have tried different scart leads but strangely, I cannot see any difference from the cheap give away to the more expensive ones. Not sure if this means anything

Are MPEG issues down to signal quality or based around the TV itself.

To be honest I'm not completely sure, I think it's a mixture of the broadcast bitrate and the signal strength as received at your home. The MPEG style artifacts shouldn't be anything to do with the telly unless the digital tunner is just badly designed/cheap, which is unlikely.

I have a sony KD32DX40 in one of the setup menus you can check the signal strength. It may be the same on yours:

Press: i+, setup (blue text button), then go on the menu to >detail setup >system information

This should then show your your signal level, mine is close to high but I still notice artifacts in badly compressed broadcasts.

Then go back a level (blue text button) and make sure software download is set to on. You will then get periodic downloads of the latest software and some fixes.

Watching any DVD and you would think the films are quite old. Monsters Inc or Terminator 3 look as if they are 20 years old. I have tried different scart leads but strangely, I cannot see any difference from the cheap give away to the more expensive ones. Not sure if this means anything

With dvd and tv make sure all picture adjustments (colour/brightness/contrast) are set to default/standard. Sony dvd players have some picture modes wich emulate cinema, "movie1" and "movie2" etc. Some can make the picture look washed out or less briliant.

Is it a fairly decent dvd player, same make/vintage? If its a sony is it set to send RGB to the telly through the correct socket? Are the scart leads fully wired? (The cable will be thick). No strong magnets near the telly or anything etc.

Just some thoughts, I'm not an expert.

cosaw

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom