Question KD-75XD9405 or UE75KS8000 or something cheaper?

deadgeckoo

Novice Member
Reaction score
KD-75XD9405 or UE75KS8000 or something cheaper? My budget is up to £4000, but ideally I'd like to spend less than that.

I'm looking for a 75" 4K TV to replace a 50" 2.5 year old top of the line Panasonic Plasma HDTV - as new flat is too big and the current TV is just dwarfed with the 12.5' viewing distance.

I was initially leaning towards the Hisense H75M7900 as it can be had for around £2300 (with the idea that I'd upgrade to a better screen in 2-3 years when the HDR standards are set and more content is available), but after reading the trusted review assessment, I got worried it was awful and decided I needed to up my price range beyond the £2500 I'd initially budgeted. I found the Samsung 78JU7500 and thought it would be a great fit when I saw it for £3300 on Power Direct, but it's back-ordered and no one else has it in stock. Given everything else around that price range seemed a bit crap, I decided it made sense to increase my budget a bit further.

After a lot of research I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Sony KD-75XD9405 and the Samsung UE75KS8000. I've found the XD94 for around £3700 and the Samsung for £3999. So two questions really:

1) Which would you recommend and why?
2) Am I spending more than I need to given my use cases and should I pick an edge lit TV that isn't great on HDR, but will look fine with SDR 4k content? And if so what would you recommend

I do a bit of gaming, but nothing that should tax a decent model and primarily use my TV for streaming either via gaming console (Netflix, Amazon etc.) or Kodi via a HTPC. I rarely if ever watch blu-rays and am unlikely to get a UHD player - however, I will probably get a 4k gaming console. I do have an Alexa and a Samsung Smart Things router and smart home set-up, in case there's some benefit to the Samsung, though may swap Alexa to Google Home when it comes out, so I'm interested in voice activated services. Also I use an Android phone in case there's some benefit to the Sony with its OS. TV will be going into my Yamaha 1000 soundbar or possibly a Sonos Playbar if I decide to upgrade, so I'm not worried about the TV's audio.

Most content I download or stream is 720 or 1080p and I am more prone to TV shows than movies if that matters. A little worried that the SD content I watch is going to look awful on this size screen...so if up-scaling can help at all I'd be interested in having a TV that's adept at that.

It will be used on a 200cm stand, not wall mounted.

Thank you in advance for your advice and recommendations!

Last edited:
At that size prices are strange. At 55 inch the lower end Sony XD93 is selling for £1600 and the Samsung KS8000 at £1400.

At 65 the XD93 is £2300 and the KS8000 £2000.

So why does the Samsung jump higher in price than the even better XD94 at that screen size?

I'd take a bet that the XD94 is a much better TV since it compares more to other manufacturers flagship tv's, albeit smaller. It's also direct lit compared to edge lit on the Samsung which itself makes for much better contrast and HDR performance.

As for is it a waste? Perhaps so. It depends how much you utilise watching HDR content. You need to sit within 10 feet to benefit from the resolution increase of UHD vs HD but you will always benefit from HDR no matter how far you sit away from the TV. The fact that you aren't going to buy an UHD Blu-Ray disc player to accompany either is also a bit wasteful. Whilst streams in UHD will be better quality than HD streams, they won't beat a 1080p Blu-Ray for quality. Having such a great tv and feeding it with lower quality content isn't the best idea. So in this sense perhaps the Hisense would be a better option.

For SD content a UHD will look worse for certain, for 720p and higher it will look fine though. Not much you can do about SD content other than go with a 1080p television instead, which I'm not sure you can even buy at that size anymore.

The Sony KD-75XD9405 or the Samsung UE75KS8000. One further difference is that the Sony does (active) 3D, which all 2016 Samsungs do not do.
If you decide, following Dodgealexander's reasoning, that a 4K television is not for you at this stage, then the Full HD Sony 75W855C is available everywhere for just under two grand, for instance at Richer Sounds SONY BRAVIA KDL75W855C 75 inch 3D Smart LED Android TV 1080p HD Youview It also does 3D.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom