KD-43XG8196 and 4k settings

Riggie

Equipment used, Sony TV Andriod KD-43XG8196, Nas drive DS115, Amazon Firestick 4K HDR.

Not an expert at all with Andriod or HDR10 I am sure this has been covered before but it's quite annoying, to say the least!

Last night I tried to watch a 2160p file located on my NAS, the file plays but with the wrong colours because the TV does not have Dolby Vision.
( but this is not the problem I want to talk about)
As I tried to get the above file to play correctly ( using a VLC player on the TV ) I pressed the " Action Menu " on the remote, selected picture, and then changed the HRD Mode from " Auto " to HDR10, but obviously still didn't work due to the lack of Dolby Vision.

As I backed out to the " Home screen " to where all the Apps are, the picture changed to what I can only describe as " Dark Mode "

I worked it out by switching on the HDR10 it altered the " Home screen " brightness and the TV brightness to a point where it's close to unusable!

At first, I couldn't fix it, and in the meantime, I tried my FireStick and it was working fine, and what I can only describe as a revelation was the BBC iplayer! I noticed a pop-up as it loaded that said " Ultra HD Quality " and it was, really fantastic quality at the Chelsea flower show. So it looks like changing the setting to HDR10 instead of Auto gives proper 4k Quality on the BBC iplayer using the Firestick.

But as I said, it comes at a cost of barely being able to see the Apps when you return to the Home page of the TV and I am sure other parts of the TV suffered.

Today I found this article https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors/articles/00160692

This confirms all the problems I had and Sony's explanation is, that it's caused by the change of " Standard " in the " quality mode " for HDR.

P.S. I have read stories of folk returning their TV's because they were also stuck in this Dark Mode, or paid to try and get the TV repaired.

So it looks like if you want to watch Ultra HD you have to change the setting to HDR10 from Auto ......... and back again when you are finished.

Unless I am missing something here, can I ask has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom