1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KD-28DL11 problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ukheather, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My aerial is a little crap lately and I need it fixing but the worst that happens is that the tv says channel not tuned if the reception is low, but now I have lost ITV and C4 on digital tv, it says selected programme not available can anyone help?

Also this morning I turned on the Tv and there was no picture just sound and the standby indicator was flashing.

Can anyone help :lease:

2. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    update: I phoned Sony and they were no help and had no advice other than to call this dodgy looking repair store which may charge a call out fee! My tv is only 1 month old.

I would like to know if the selected programme not available message is to do with my aerial or the flashing.

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    If the TV is only 1 month old, telephone whoever you bought the set off. They have to send an engineer under the terms of the guarantee. I doubt anybody will be able to say whether it's a fault or not, without actually having the set in front of them. The flashing lights would indicate an error.

Who did Sony send you to?

4. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They sent me to: http://www.ymms.co.uk

It would be repaired under the guarantee, but I would have thought that Sony would have their own engineers.

BTW, I bought it from a Sony shop which are apparantly not directly owned by Sony.

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    They are as near to a Sony engineer as they get.

Sony do not own any service centres or Shops. There service network is split into 3 levels. A Regional Austhorised Service Centre is the top level, and that's what YMMS are.

With their regional centres, the engineers have to attend regular training, or they can lose their tag of being an 'Authorised Service Agent'.

6. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So phoning them is the best option?

I just don't want to pay for them to come out so they can find no problem. I hope that the not being able to view certain channels is not to do with my aerial, although I cannot see that it is.

7. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    If your aerial is definitely broken, get that fixed first. Or test your TV on a different aerial/source. E.G. Can you watch a DVD OK?

Any service company is allowed to charge you a call out fee, as this is not covered under the guarantee anyway. If you want a completely free repair, send it back the the people you bought it off.

8. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can watch a DVD fine, just tried an indoor aerial and the message flicked between selected programme not available and selected programme not tuned, as the indoor aerial is crap.

Are you sure that the Sony Shop would repair it? Sony's helpline never mentioned that.

The aerial is not broken, just needs moving I think.

9. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    When you purchase a product, you enter into a contract of sale with the retailer. Part of that contract of sale, is to honour the guarantee on behalf of the manufacturer. Each Sony store will use a member of the Sony Authorised Service Network to carry out the repair. If it's only a month old, I'd even push my luck and ask for an exchange if I was you. They'll probably say no, and just offer a repair, but it's worth a shout. Which Sony shop was it?

10. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony Centre Galleria in Huddersfield, it is now just a few days over 30 days old.

11. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I'd give them a call, but it sounds to me like your aerial is the issue. You may get stung by a No Fault Found charge if the unit isn't faulty. Phone them and get their advice.

12. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will do. Will get an aerial guy round first.

Many thanks for your great help :)

If anyone else has had a similar problem please reply too :)

13. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had my aerial fixed, good reception but I still get the pixel problem now and again and at the moment quite a few channels on digital say selected channel not available :(

14. shymonk

shymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most digital problems with these sets are caused by a bad aerial, incuding frezeeing remote controls. any sony digital Tv has a Signal metre start with "I+" button and then navigate to "system info" that will give you an idea of signal in your area.i work for THEM and 50% of our digital calls are aerial related.retune regulary if in poor signal area.ps lots of freeview channels encripyted (not avaliable without topuptv and CAM)

15. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I actually had a new aerial installed to help with this problem and it hasn't fixed it

16. zxrkid

zxrkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chainsaw,
    My Sony 28DL11 has just started having exactly the same problem as you describe. Turn it on sometimes and no picture only sound and some pretty strange pops and bangs sometimes when on. Did you ever find out what causes it? :thumbsdow
    Mine was purchased new in October 2004 so well within warranty, but baought it on the internet and I guess it won't do it if I get an engineer out. Anyone else any ideas. It seems to be getting more frequent....perhaps I need to wait till it packs up completely. :lease:

Andrew

17. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I never did find out what causes it but I bought it the same month as you.

I wonder if it is a dodgy batch?

18. zxrkid

zxrkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chainsaw,
    Did you get yours changed or have you still got it?

19. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I still got it :rolleyes:

20. zxrkid

zxrkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it still giving you problems? Mine does it from time to time. Have you noticed the volume go up and down when it says "programme not tuned" or any strange noises. Has anyone else suffered from this problem? It's strange because when mine is auto tuned it shows the green signal bar as really strong. Any one else got any suggestions?

21. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    What is the picture like on analogue, is it a litttle snowy?
    Digital can suffer from too much signal or too little, it could be borderline most of the time and then in certain whether conditions it goes over/under the limit. You can buy a attenuator if your signal is too strong, put it on yourself it just fits inline with your aerial, should cost less than £4, give it a try.
    Nige.

22. ukheather

ukheather
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I have noticed that zxrkid.

Not snowy nig28, as I said I have a replacement aerial and still the same.

23. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

snip ""shows the green signal bar as really strong""

If the signal is too strong it can also cause problems, a attenuator reduces the strenth of the signal.
    Get your aerial guy buy to test it, if you dont think that is your prob get in touch with your local service dept or where you bought it from.
    Nigel

24. zxrkid

zxrkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chainsaw,
    Mine seems to have settled down a bit lately. But it seems to make a loud clicking/popping noise when it does do it. Anyone know why that is?
    I think I'd have to wait for it to literally "go bang!" before I get the internet company I got it from involved. The first one I recieved had really, and I mean really, bad purity and I had to get a local TV repair shop, at my expense, to write a report before they'd even change it. They wanted to collect it, leave me with no TV and then charge me £25 from my refund if it was found to be "with in tolerance". Which I am sure they would have said it was to save themselves another delivery. So I can't see them sending an engineer out unless it breaks down completly.

25. ColonelK

ColonelK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How did you lot find your geometry out of the box? I had to do a lot of tweaking to get mine reasonably acceptable last night. Not 100% happy with the geometry yet but it's getting there.

Watched some of the fellowship of the ring last night on DVD and I'm very happy with it.

Anyone got their smartlink to work with a Panasonic DVD recorder at all? I'm still trying to work that one out to be honest.

26. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The geometry on mine is woeful, but like you I'm constantly tweaking in the service menu.

What seems to be fine for Freeview is rubbish for NTL/Tivo. The biggest worry is the fact the picture is clearly slanted towards the bottom right corner, even with the rotation thing set to max.

Despite all that, the picture quality is truly excellent. Smartlink worked fine with my Sony RDR-GXD300 when originally tuning it, but given that you can only input video or S-video through the LINE1 in the GXD300 (I use RGB enabled input on LINE 3 for NTL/Tivo), it doesn't get used any more.