1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KD-28DL11 and a VCR....

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ss63, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ss63

ss63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me this may be a very simple question...

I'm trying to improve the config/set-up of my friends KD-28DL11 with DVD and VCR (without the manuals...).

Anyway - fundamentally it's ok. Digital reception ok, analogue poor (work required on the aerial). DVD hooked up to the RGB scart - fine.

The issue I have is that I want to route the digital programming thro' the VCR to allow decent recording. At the moment it looks very like the analogue path that's going thro' the VCR.

I have connected the VCR to the TV using the appropriate coax and SCART connections (VCR scart connected to the other scart on the tv).

Can anyone offer any help..? It must be something simple

Thanks,

SS

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    SS63,

No matter how good your description, it's always difficult to picture your set up without seeing it!

There will be two scarts on your digibox, one should be connected to the TV and the other to the VCR.

Or have I missed something?

3. ss63

ss63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...I should maybe have made this clearer....the TV has a digital tuner...i.e. no digi box in the equation.

There are only two scarts on the TV - one to DVD and one to VCR. VCR is also connected using usual coax cables.

Given the TV is digital I would expect to be able to feed decoded digital transmission to the VCR, to provide best possible VCR recording.

At the moment it is the poor analogue path that is being fed to the VCR.

Maybe the question is a general one for anyone with a digital tv with two scarts - how do you get the output of the digital tuner into your VCR..?

Cheers,

4. ss63

ss63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me exapnd on my confusion...

Normally you have 2 scarts on your STB and 2 scarts on your VCR (plus 2 scarts on the TV)

You connect
    1. scart 1 on STB to scart 1 on TV
    2. scart 2 on STB to scart 1 on VCR (to allow recording of digital programmes)
    3. scart 2 on VCR to scart 2 on tv (to allow playback of tapes)

Now...on a digital tv there is no STB (with SCARTS). So how do you get the equivalent of number 2 above...? (remember the 2 scarts on the tv have been used for 1 and 3)

:confused:

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Firstly forget analogue reception - if digital is fine you're OK - analogue is going Sony Wegsa are rubbish on analogue but good on digital

As to recording - get a DTTV PVR - the Humax is cheap and single tuner ideal as a vrc replacement.

daisy chain DVD through if it will and put vcr on Scart2 playback only

6. ss63

ss63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Martin - sadly I can't buy any kit... I'm trynig to improve a friends set-up (they've only just bought it)....

7. mgns

mgns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    1. scart 1 on STB to scart 1 on TV
    2. scart 2 on STB to scart 1 on VCR (to allow recording of digital programmes)
    3. scart 2 on VCR to scart 2 on tv (to allow playback of tapes)

i'm not speaking from experience (i have a stb) or any fantastic AV background but is there a need for point 3 on your list? i only have 2 scarts on my tv: digibox in S1 + VCR into the stb, dvd into S2 - with this setup the VCR still plays tapes.

surely if they've only put 2 scarts on that particular CRT it implies that you don't need point 3 on your list. As long as you are able to record off digital tv the set up should be correct - are you sure you are not expecting too much in terms of picture quality when it comes to recording digital tv onto VHS?

the only other combinations i can suggest is maybe plug the VCR into Scart 1 and then plug the Dvd player into the VCR (leaving Scart 2 free) or put the VCR into Scart 1 and the Dvd player into Scart 2. Either that, or keep tuning the VCR until you are happy with the quality of the tv signal going through it. Maybe the quality of the scart leads being used is the problem?

hope this helps.

mgns

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    2 Scarts

Scart 1 DVD

Scart 2 VCR - as follows

If the vcr can record via TV scart problem solved