1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kazaa and people being sued!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by vik, Sep 12, 2003.

1. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the news of America having a spate of suing people...

I was wonderign what the score was in the UK - is it illegal to download music? i thought it was like copying off the radio - ok so long as u dont start selling that???

Also someone told me somat about dynamic IP broadband - which means that you computer cant actually be pinned down - is that true?

I am complete novice to this stuf so pls explain in baby language!!!!

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Vik,

It is illegal to download music that you have not brought the rights for, you are making an illeagal copy, ie breaking copyright law. I have also heard of dynamic IP addresses, but couldn't tell you how it works, or if it works.

Rob

3. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it illegal to copy from the radio?

also i originally from west brom!

4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Having Googled on this subject, it seems the current news mainly concerns US citizens, and the RIAA.
    My belief is the whole thing has been hyped up to use scare tactics that they hope will reduce the amount of filesharing.
    Reading between the lines it looks as if they are after large-scale uploaders, rather than the bedroom downloader.
    Advice given on most sites is not to allow a list of files in your shared folder to be visible to outsiders, to block known ISP's from a list available on the web. This way only packet sniffing can see what an individual is currently downloading.
    As one comment made:
    256 found, 35,000,000 to go...

5. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i thought that they were going after big big people... but then heard about that poor lil girl with 3 songs!!!

how do i go about doing the below?

"Advice given on most sites is not to allow a list of files in your shared folder to be visible to outsiders, to block known ISP's from a list available on the web. "

Also whats the RIAA??

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As someone elsewhere said...a very shrewd move by the lawyers going for the little girl...sends a message that they really aren't afraid of going for whoever they please.
    The RIAA is the Recording Industry Association of America( www.riaa.org ),which is supposed to protect artists rights in the USA amongst other things,and the really have got the bit between their teeth over sites like Kazaa etc.

7. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er... no. A dynamic IP address will not hide the name of your Internet Service Provider. So they would still get to you eventually, I'm afraid. There are ways of surfing completely anonymously, I'm told - so that not even your ISP knows what you are doing. Do a search on Google, but I believe many websites block such surfers, especially if there is any interaction involved (such as downloading!)

8. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this being discussed in detail on any other forums - just so i can get some info??

I new to all this forums - only got into it cos i was buying a camera!

it was well smart of them to go for the little girl for sure.... has scared a lot of people!

9. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to General Chat - there's quite an interesting debate going on in there.

10. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  11. vik

vik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    then how do i block them??

and how do i make sure that list is not available?

12. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The list is for use on eMule
    Tutorial here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/20686
    Interestingly, a search on Google for Kazaa Lite produces this statement:
    The main website is currently Error 404'ing so may be related, but was some info there yesterday. If using K++ Tools->IPBlocker Updater
    If using Kazaa Media Desktop, remove it immediately an run Lavasoft's AdAware to remove all the spyware etc.

Edit:
    Bizarre or what, the reason Kazaa Lite's links have been removed is because the owners of the spyware Kazaa have served notice under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. This is for software that allows copying of files!!!
    Talk about the kettle calling the pot black!

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,238
    I don’t know, I suppose what you record it of the radio for, if it is just to listen when you gat back in after being out I think it is OK as people on ‘Sounds of the Sixties’ are always saying they record it that way e.g. when out shopping or going to work, and Brian Mathews never says they are not allowed.