Kate (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

It’s got to look great at the very least so will check it out for the visuals. Everything is getting a bit generic and video gamey lately though. Little in the way of innovation.
I’d say it’s definitely worth a watch it is very similar to other films switch your brain off for nearly two hours lol

Thank you for the review Cas one I enjoyed personally I am loving the glut of female action flicks most of them are relatively good and in the case of Kate I would give it 7

Was really disappointed as I was looking forward to this, after the even more disappointing Jolt. Neon car chase scene seemed pointless and that's where my interest waned.

I gave it a 7 in the other thread as it is what it does although it should get a couple of points deducted for that awful Lockdown style cgi chase .

Problem with this type of film in general is how does one emphasise ( John Wick, Nobody, Atomic Blonde, Crank ) with a charecter that is just as bad if not worse than those they are after .

I enjoyed the action as I have done with other films in this genre and Mary as Kate does a good ( Charlize does it better in Atomic Blonde ) job but at times she just does not nail it for myself .

Star of the show was the Tokyo backdrop in DV for me .

8, good fun and nice look. let down by that godawful car chase sequence, looked so effing fake it jarred horribly.

Solid, entertaining romp with great production. Yes, it's all been done before but you can say that about pretty much any film.

Waaaay better than Birds of Prey, I don't get all the callbacks in the review to such a mediocre DCEU film. This was a lot better than that movie, Winstead was a solid 'action girl' in this one definitely worth seeing to those who haven't.

Waaaay better than Birds of Prey, I don't get all the callbacks in the review to such a mediocre DCEU film. This was a lot better than that movie, Winstead was a solid 'action girl' in this one definitely worth seeing to those who haven't.

Reading it would help, rather than being triggered by keywords, whereupon you may discover that this was precisely what the review was saying too.

If this thread is any indication, I'm guessing the reason Netflix keep churning out mediocre tosh is because people are perfectly happy watching mediocre tosh...

It's a 5 at most from me.
As much as I like Woody and M.E.W. I'm getting tired of all shooting no story films.

On a more positive note, good Atmos mix.

If this thread is any indication, I'm guessing the reason Netflix keep churning out mediocre tosh is because people are perfectly happy watching mediocre tosh...
I would say it is much better than mediocre, I enjoyed it from start to finish and would give it an 8. I liked it better than Nobody which I thought fell apart in the 3rd act when it went too far over the top into ridiculousness. This on the other hand developed well right to the end, even though it is derivative of so many other films in the genre, but that is common with almost all mainstream film-making these days.

I thought the cinematography was really well done, the Chiaroscuro style Neo-Tokyo looked fabulous in Dolby Vision, it had a strong Atmos track and a really well done score with lots of strong LFE and some great and original action set pieces. I thought the overly-CGI car chase could and should have been cut out, but otherwise I thought it was a really solid assassin movie, and was well acted by Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Her character was believable whereas I thought Bob Odenkirk's character in Nobody wasn't.

Was really disappointed as I was looking forward to this, after the even more disappointing Jolt. Neon car chase scene seemed pointless and that's where my interest waned.
This was the only part of the film that was terrible for me,
they had no idea who she was and by getting in the car she alerted them to her.

The CGI car section was terrible, physics were naff and it looked terrible in what was otherwise a stunning looking film.

Yes, the end was predictable, but I enjoyed it 7/10.

Fab looking film on my 65" OLED and a great Atmos soundtrack with bags of LFE. 9/10 for sound and vision.

The story was ok even though a bit boring in places but never the less a good mindless action flick with high body count. 7/10

if they was to do another Alien film and Weaver didn’t want to reprise her role I think Winstead could pull it off I thought she looked a bit similar in a certain scene

Ha I noticed that too - definitely reminded me of Aliens Ripley when she was holding the gun. (like screenshot in this article)

I enjoyed it, looked great, good action, the teen girl was good in it, some nice samurai sword action, but yes as others said as soon as i saw Harrelson as mentor I knew the twist straight away. The guy cannot play a good guy!

I’ve not seen the movie yet - that’s a pretty big spoiler regardless of whether or not it’s obvious when you watch it. ^^^^ o_O

Great review as always Cas. Really enjoyed this as a mindless bit of neon violence to pass a couple of hours. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was excellent and Woody was just Woody. Some good fight scenes as in most Yakuza films, nothing original but enough to keep me interested. Decent 7 I reckon for a Netflix film.

I have only watched the teaser on Netflix...haven't seen the film or read any comments...but it looks so naff and predictable I'll give it a go...

Gets poisoned and is going to die

Gets a few clues from woody harrelson

Gets more clues by hurting more people

Hurts more people before learning the guy she thought was the bad guy isn't the bad guy...and the bad guy is actually woody harrelson.

Gets help from "not actually the bad guy" and goes off to find woody harrelson and whoever his associate is who persuaded him to turn bad

Kills the bad guys in a big fight...dies from the poison...

The end. Boring.

How did I do?

2/10

OK not amazing but considering some of the tripe Netflix have put out lately its not bad

Great review Cas and spot on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom