• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Kaspersky or Free AVG???

clanline

Standard Member
Hello,
I have free AVG anti virus installed and also use Malwarebytes.
I have been offered FREE Kaspersky Internet Security suite(worth about £50 they say) as I bank with Barclays.
Is it better than what I have already and not being very computer minded would it be advisable to change?
Would I have to delete both AVG and Malwarebytes?
Thanks for any advice.
Brian

Last edited:

Mattski2007

Standard Member
Dump AVG its ****
Kaspersky is good.
uninstall AVG first before installing Kaspersky.
Safe to run malewarebytes every few weeks while Kaspersky is running.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Moved to the Anti Virus board.

There are a number of threads here that discuss which is the best piece of Anti Virus software, as above (minus the expletives) I would recommend dropping AVG and perhaps getting one of the better free pieces such as Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast etc, but definitely keep MalwareBytes :thumbsup:

clanline

Standard Member
Moved to the Anti Virus board.

There are a number of threads here that discuss which is the best piece of Anti Virus software, as above (minus the expletives) I would recommend dropping AVG and perhaps getting one of the better free pieces such as Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast etc, but definitely keep MalwareBytes :thumbsup:

Do you reccommend the free pieces you mention rather than the free Kaspersky I have been offered?

MarkE19

Do you reccommend the free pieces you mention rather than the free Kaspersky I have been offered?
I would suggest you go for Kaspersky Internet Security over any of the free Anti Virus programs as KIS gives you more security in a single program. The likes of Avast, MSE etc are AV only so wont give you a software firewall or options such as parental controls etc.

Mark.

dc8900

Distinguished Member

I would suggest you go for Kaspersky Internet Security over any of the free Anti Virus programs as KIS gives you more security in a single program. The likes of Avast, MSE etc are AV only so wont give you a software firewall or options such as parental controls etc.

Mark.

+1, if this was the case of which free av programme than yes, I would go for MSE or Avast but in this case you as a Barclays customer are getting a free subscription to a full and (very excellent IMHO) internet security programme that does and offers much more as MarkE19 points out

clanline

Standard Member
Thanks everyone for your advice.
I have installed Kaspersky this morning and it seems to be running a scan now for a few hours and has now scanned 24000 objects.
The suite has its own firewall and I also have windows firewall. Should I turn one of them off?
Sorry if this is a daft question from a poor old pensioner!

Last edited:

MarkE19

When Kaspersky was installing it should have detected and turned off the Windows firewall automatically.

Mark.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Thanks everyone for your advice.
I have installed Kaspersky this morning and it seems to be running a scan now for a few hours and has now scanned 24000 objects.
The suite has its own firewall and I also have windows firewall. Should I turn one of them off?
Sorry if this is a daft question from a poor old pensioner!

When Kaspersky was installing it should have detected and turned off the Windows firewall automatically.

Mark.

assuming this didn't happen which as Mark says should have, turn off windows firewall and make sure the KIS firewall is on

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom