1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kameleon: how good and where from?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by TheeNoMaD, Sep 28, 2004.

1. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy strangers
    I was just looking at replacing all the sodding remotes i have and the kameleon seems pretty sweet so i was wondering how good it really is and where i can get it cheap?
    Cheers

"So long and thanks for all the fish"

2. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,335
    It did my Sony TV and Panasonic VHS player straight from the box/code numbers at the back. The Jamo i had to telephone and they sent a download via that (you hold the remote by the phone), then a few commands i had to input manually; eject and mute i think. My Sanyo Z2 PJ i've had to manually direct learn the functions in one at a time. I have a couple of other devices i havent tried to use with it yet.

As for the remote itself? Well it looks pretty nifty, big glowy blue light-up has a certain wow factor, but can be a bit hard to read in strong sunlight. I got it for my PJ mostly, and as thats used in the dark anyway... It's more a "man toy" than being woman friendly; its quite large and might confuse those of less logical persuasion. Apparently it goes through a set of batteries a month (4 x AAA), i turned my illumination brightness down as soon as i got it, but its almost that now with no probs. I'll get two sets of rechargables if it is that quick. It does make a slight humming noise, but its only really noticable when its quiet and if you hold it close to your ear.

Functionally its pretty good. You get a click for a button press, but its not like you can learn the layout so you need to glance at it which some people dont like. Programing has been fairly easy, controls things well.

Overall i'm happy i got it (now my Jamo is using it!) as the slew of remotes on the coffee table was getting downright silly and annoying. Very good for show-off factor, works in the dark.

There's also a big thread here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53521

And this one tells you how to turn off the motion sensor:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149391

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I have the 6 in 1 version I dont really use now as i have a pronto - I put it up for sale on here a while ago but didnt get any offers. I would sell it for £40 plus postage if you wanted it? I dont have the original box but do have instructions

4. [scm]

[scm]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I hate them :thumbsdow

They buzz at you if there is the slightest vibration and eat batteries as fast as anything. Even though you can reprogram keys for particular functions, the key still looks the same, so you have to remember what it really does. Confusing if you have set up several of these keys.

I gave mine to my parents who seem happy with it, but still commented on the high rate of battery consumption.

6. [scm]

[scm]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0