1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kameleon 6 Vs Harmony 655

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Nachos, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Nachos

Nachos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would ideally like a remote that will allow me to pick certain buttons from each of my other remotes that i use regulary and create my own "Super Remote" Can either of the above do that? ie i don't need to select a new device on the remote every time i want to control any new equipment.

From what i have read here the above seem good choices or will i need to splash out on a Pronto?

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    this is what i wanted to do also. I have an old yamaha learning remote which I crammed all my day to day functions on to. however, it ran out of memory and i was finding that i could navigate my dvd menus, but not my freeview box. not enough buttons/memory! also, it wasnt backlit and the learned buttons didnt have the right names next to them.

anyway i too didnt want a remote which i had to select a device and then operate it. i was recommended the harmony 655. after reading up about it, it seemed to make sense to me. the idea of pressing one button to start doing something, and then the functions you need for that activity are present. so when im watching a dvd, the navigation buttons dont need to work for the freeview box. all the buttons are customisable, its backlit and you have up to 6 custom lcd key too! no need to program macros, you tell it what kit you have and it works out what it needs to do.

takes a while to set up and get into the mind set of activities, but once you have it right, its very very good. the IR transmitter is quite powerful so you dont even have to point it at your equipment. i find it will operate my kit on my left and two varilight dimmers, one under a small table and one behind me - all just with my pointing the remote forward.

for £99 its really quite an awesome piece of kit, and if hard butons are a priority (for me i prefer to feel my way around a remote rather than having to rely on a backlit lcd screen with pictures and no feel) - then this really should do the job!

oh and their tech support is first class!

3. icurnow

icurnow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a ditto really, spend some time to set up Harmony and its great. Got mine for xmas - really superb bit of kit.

Ian

4. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Nachos, I thought I'd give you an opinion from the other (Kameleon 6) camp.

Granted, the Kameleon doesn't offer activity based functions like the Harmony, but it is still a very good remote for the money & considerably cheaper than a Harmony - the best price I have found for the Second Generation Kameleon 6 is £53.45+P&P from Lets Automate as opposed to £99+P&P from Logitech.

There have been a lot of posts recently from people having problems with the Harmony:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175396

There are of course negative posts about Kameleons (ususally from Ikki - :D - however I think his bad experience was with a first generation Kameleon. Correct me if I'm wrong Ikki.)

My own experience with the Kameleon 6 has been trouble-free. Even when the correct code for one of my devces wasn't present on my Kameleon, a call to OneForAll customer service soon sorted me out with the correct code via the built in modem. Another benefit of using a Kameleon is access to OneforAll's huge database of discrete IR codes, e.g. a code to turn a device on, rather than a power on/off toggle or a code to select a particular AVinput rather than just cycling through all inputs. You are able to program your remote with commands not available with the remote. By calling OneForAll CS & telling them what devices you have & the codes you are using, they can send you all the discrete codes for your device - I received a 4-page e-mail of codes for my set up.

It's not perfect though, cycling through screens to find the correct button can be a pain at times, but not enough for me not to recommend it.

Good luck.

Here come the anti-Kameleon posts (from Ikki).

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I'm not anti Kamelion per se, it was just poor application of interesting technology. You are right that it was first generation and is now (happily) a receding memory.

As for generation 2, I have not used it and therefore hold judgement. :rolleyes:

6. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :smashin:

7. dambox

dambox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I used the the first version of the Kameleon, and while OK - gave up due to battery life. I now have a Harmony 655 - and for the devices I have it has so far been a lot better- and my wife is happy as it looks similar to the original remotes e.g. sky etc.

I have also found - contrary to some of the posts - the help desk to be very good with same day response in most cases. I have a Loewe TV that has input selection that is not straight forward, and the help desk have help worked through a few iterations and it is nearly there.

A final note- the 655 keeps the config on the web site which provides a back up.

So my recommendation would be the 655.

8. Rendini

Rendini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some help please. :lease:

I am looking at getting an all in one remote. The Kameleon 8206 interests me, but does it have a Home theatre mode, i.e. a display that could operate TV, amp and dvd etc.. without having to select each component to operate. I notice the American 9960 has this but can't see it listed as a feature on the 8206.

If not could be a harmony?

9. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    :thumbsup:
    The Harmony has a watch a movie button. You can set this one button up to select all the right inputs etc on the TV/Amp etc. Once it has been pressed the hard buttons all relate to the appropriate bits of kit for watching a DVD e.g the vol controls the amp, the transports buttons control the DVD. It used to take me a couple of minutes to find all the remotes and set everything up for a film; with the harmony its just one button press; it will even open the tray for you and pour a drink.

10. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    on the 655 you also have "picture" and "sound" dedicated buttons,

now at first these seem a strange addition to the remote, after all you can press the "device" button and access each device directly, however this is a very powerful feature and the area to put all of your custom and most used operations:

ie under "picture" (to controll my PWD6 plasma) I have my aspect ratio settings on buttons 1,2 4 &5, 16:9, 4:3, just & zoom respectively,
    in the lcd widow I have power on/off, cycle inputs, and the various menus for setting up the plasma picture settings, with menu navigation directed to the arrow and select buttons

under "sound" (to directly control my pioneer AV amp) I have input selections, midnight, loudness, and the various dolby/stereo settings etc.

the 655 is so flexible and customizable it "will" take time and perseverance to get your AV set up running just right, basically you can make it do whatever you like, and actually its a lot of fun tinkering with the settings and fine tuning.

now 90% of the time I just need to use the "watch TV" "watch DVD" etc functions but for the other 10% the picture and sound options are great,

I have a 655 to control my plasma, pioneer amp, panny DVD recorder and Sky+ and now that I have it set up the way I like, its an absolute breeze to use.

Spook