1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kameleon 6 or Harmony Remote 655

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by johnaalex, Nov 17, 2004.

1. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,317
    I am looking for a URC that will cope with Sky+ recording, plus the TV, DVD, CD player, Tuner, VCR, and Surround sound amp. Any comments on which of these 2 would be best?

TIA

John

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I've tried both and much prefer the Harmony.

3. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Why exactly do you prefer the Harmony? Detailed answer please - I've just ordered a 2nd generation Kameleon and am worried that I should have gone for a Harmony.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you should have gone for the H655 kameleons are crap hard to program very limited macro and imo very very poor H655 easy to use set-up and works.........

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Copied from a previous thread

Things that I did not like about the Kameleon (others may disagree)

1. The auto turn on was incredibly sensitive, often a sneeze was enough.
    2. The unit buzzes when on.
    3. The unit uses batteries very quickly.
    4. Even though only the keys that are used for the particular device come on, the unit can only display the keys that are printed on the surface. This meant they could be difficult to match to the actual device. You were left with some unused keys appearing and other needed keys not appearing. It is possible to map functions to unused keys, but this means remembering their actual function when you come to use the device.

Things that I like about the Harmony.

1. All buttons, hard or soft are fully mappable with any function.
    2. Learns all the commands of the original remote.
    3. Any functions not represented as hard buttons can be displayed as soft buttons on the lcd screen.
    4. While each device can be controlled independently as a device, the trump card of the remote is that it has activity buttons, e.g. watch tv or watch dvd. When one of these is pressed, it turns everything needed on, everything that is not needed off and changes any settings e.g. tv input to the correct one. All activities are again fully customisable.
    5. It has a built in tv guide (I have not tried to use it)
    6. Battery life is far superior.
    7. It doesn't buzz.

Those are my views.

6. a9who

a9who
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently bought Harmony 655 (from Dixon’s) to control PW6, Denon 2805, Sky (Pace 2200), Panasonic S-VHS video and Pioneer DV575 (yet to arrive).

Only want it to control main functions, for set-up will return to original remotes.

So far have everything working except I would like to have ‘Aspect’ control when watching Sky.

However (I must be dim) :( I cannot get the PW6 functions available in the ‘Watch Sky’ activity so that I can program just one soft key with ‘Aspect’.

Can someone help :confused: ?

Otherwise over the moon with the system :thumbsup: :D

7. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the kameleon 2nd Generation function ok with sky+ boxes? i.e. are all of the buttons mapped onto the kameleon or are there some functions missing?

8. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    a9who

1. Make sure that the functions that you want exist and work for the PW6 in the device area. If they don't exist or work you will need to learn them from the original remote.
    2. select 'Customize' on the Watch Sky activity, then 'Change the behaviour of the buttons'.
    3. In this window, select 'Picture' at the top of the page.
    4. Choose a hard button or soft button to carry the aspect function and label it Aspect (if it's a soft button). Then select the correct function from the drop down menu next to the button.
    5. Click on the 'Done' button at the bottom of the page to return to the home page and update your remote.

When you are using the watch Sky activity, the aspect control will be available by pressing the Picture button, then the hard or soft button that you have chosen.

:thumbsup:

9. a9who

a9who
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ikki

Thanks for this

:oops: Had already done this but like an idiot :clown: hadn't worked out I had to use the picture button to access the 'Apsect' key :blush: .

I have set it up almost identically to the Sky controller so that it is easy to switch especially for my wife :) .

I find the web site somewhat of an acquired taste and still can't get the simulator to work :confused: , any advice? I guess it will become easier with use!

:) Pioneer DV575A arriving tomorrow (from AV Sales, great service). I am comfortable it will be relatively easy to incorporate this, most of the work has been done.

Overall I think the 655 is great and makes life much easier :smashin:

a9who

10. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well, I've had my new 2nd generation Kameleon 6 for a few days now and I have to say I'm fairly satisfied with it. The old sensitivity problem that has been mentioned doesn't exist anymore as you have to either pick up the remote and touch the screen or actually press one of the buttons to get it to come on. It does buzz, but I can only hear it when I'm in a silent room and it is close to me.

Can't make a call on the battery life yet, however when you can pick up a pack of 20 Panasonic alkaline AAs from Argos for only £6, I don't really see the problem. Incidentally, the battery charger available at £30 really is a waste of money - 100 batteries worth. Even if a pair of AAs only lasts 2 months, you'd still need to use the charger for more than 8 years to get your moneys worth.

Programming didn't seem to difficult - the learning feature was a relatively straight forward and trouble free.

I'll let you know how I get on.

:thumbsup: