1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kalifornia

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kalifornia R1 (MGM).....

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/ says it's anamorphic
    http://www.bytesandbobs.com/dvdcompare.htm says it's anamorphic

Most importantly (because I ordered this DVD from them) ....

http://www.futureent.com/ say it's anamorphic

But guess what? It isn't :mad: It's letterboxed widescreen :(

Thought I'd post in case anyone else is thinking of ordering this for the dual rated and unrated versions on this disk.

If anyone owns any other region, I'd be grateful if you could confirm whether it was anamorphic or not. :)

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    Can’t you get a refund?

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garrett,

Yes, I hope so. I emailed them before I posted, but I've never dealt with FutureEnt before with this sort of thing so I'm crossing my fingers. :) I also printed out the description from FutureEnt's web pages just in case I need to take it up with my credit card company. ;) So I'm not worried about it in that sense, but it's very annoying that every single DVD site I checked on says that the MGM R1 of Kalifornia is anamorphic yet it's not. It doesn't even say it's anamorphic on the casing so I don't know where this rumour started that it is. :mad: It's not the first time a DVD supplier's web site has had wrong information - in fact, it's quite common. But seeing as anyone who is interested in this disk will check on line using a DVD comparison site and therefore think it's anamorphic, I thought I should warn.

Nice that MGM took the time to make their logo anamorphic though (the one at the start, when you put the disk in)!!!!! I mean.... honestly!!!! :rolleyes:

4. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The region 2 is anamorphic I seem to remember from when I watched it. Has sod all extras though.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kev. R1 also had sod all extras. ;)

6. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Squirrel.

Just checked on play and MGM have updated the disk from the version I saw. Has a few cheep extras now, picture is still anamorphic.

From what I can remeber the transfer was OK sound is dolby stereo only but I think that was the case in the cinema as this was a very low budget production. A bit depressing but a Good film.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't trust the on-line specs on this one 'cos I checked all those for R1 and it still turned out to be non-anamorphic. :( That's why I want to hear from those who have actually seen it. ;)

It's a great movie. Saw it many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Will more than likely get the R2 now - once I hear from FutureEnt....

8. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted a similar concern about the R1 SE version of Pride and Prejudice recently, although in my case the problem is that everywhere (including the R1 box the DVD came in!) said it was in anamorphic 2.20:1 whereas in fact what it's in is 16:9 and just scanned from an original 4:3 image. I think on balance I would have prefered to have it in 4:3 if it was actually shot that way because the image is now effectively magnified and loses the top of people's heads on occasions! It really mystifies me why they did this to it (I bought it assuming it was originally shot in 2.20:1) but it seems even more amazing that they've got the spec details wrong on the actual DVD box!

Luckily I bought it from CD-Wow, so I can return it if I decide to.

Simon

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have now heard from FutureEnt and they say to return it for a refund :)

Guess they were checking what I told them because they've removed the word "anamorphic" from the website description now http://www.futureent.com/dvd/details.php?id=2571 I'm pleased about that because it means no-one else should be mislead now (at least from FutureEnt anyway) :)

10. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Apart from looking at the picture quality, how else can one tell if the disk is anamorphic? When shrinking my widescreen to 4:3 mode all my discs appear to be in letterbox.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Your TV will switch to "wide" mode.
    2. If you put the disk into 4:3 and the aspect ratio is 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 then it should fill the screen vertically.
    3. If you put the disk into 4:3 and the aspect ratio is 2.35:1 or something like that, then the bars will still be there, but you can check to see if the faces are stretched vertically (actually, squished horizontally).

12. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the quick reply. I recently bought T2 ultimate edition. Although I believe this is anamorphic it doesn't switch the tv to wide mode. All the reviews say the picture is nigh on perfect but from my other discs, I find Seven 2disc and Training Day to be better. Do I have a dodgy disc?

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your DVD player is not connected via a scart then it won't switch.

I have T2 Ultimate Edition R1 and it's definitely anamorphic.

14. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry for taking this way off topic but how do you find T2 picture quality. Would you rate it 10/10?

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, not 10/10. It looks pretty good though, maybe 7 or 8/10... I don't have your other 2 disks so I can't compare. It's not as good though as, say, Shrek for example.

Not all movies that are anamorphic look great. It depends on the original quality of the film (and T2 is an older film).

If there's a problem with your disk, then it won't be to do with the picture quality. The movie will either play or it won't, or if it plays the picture will break up or something like that (if it's a bad pressing). It's not like tape.

Why don't you stick the disk in and force it to 4:3 mode. If Arnie's face looks horizontally squashed (i.e. long and thin) then it's anamorphic. ;)

16. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks!
    I remember when you first came onto these forums. It was a couple of weeks after I. You were looking for a TV, just like me. Now you're the DON! You have taken over!
    Thanks for your comments!

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm far from being a Don, but I do learn fast about stuff I'm interested in, especially where money's concerned :p

18. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    So that´s why your post count is stratospheric, there´s cash involved!:D