kaleidescape Hard Disk DVD Jukebox

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zoolap, Sep 10, 2003.

1. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was on the Dolby Homepage and noticed a link to the following hard disk jukebox device for DVDs on their CEDIA 2003 section:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/flash.php

If anyone knows any more please do add.

Of course if it becomes available here there is the question of whether it can be chipped for multiregion - if it can and the price is good (it will probably be veery expensive and of range for people like me) we could have a pretty groovy device here.

My guess is it'll probably fall down in video quality or something.

The movie player module supports progressive scan it seems - 480p, 780p, 1080i (please correct any mistakes here as I don't know that much about prog scan).

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    It was one of the hits at CEDIA USA last week. There were quite a few on stands. The output picture looked nice on the plasma's it was partnered with. OSD and GUI is excellent. Nor region2 support at present. Cost around $30,000. If you have time and are HTPC literate you can do this sort of thing for alot less. However as a finished, sorted real device it looked the biz.

Gordon

3. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Gordon,

I think I'll leave that for AV gods like yourself (that said you'd probably build your own). :)

Without winning the lottery the nearset I'll get to that is build my own HTPC.

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i have to say it looks bloody good, would the picture be as good as my arcam dv27 though?

5. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Yeah do it with a HTPC, ATi do a dongle that supports thing slike 480p, 720p, 1080i etc, then you just find some nice software and put in the biggest hard drives you can find and rip all your DVDs :)

6. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The low "cost per megabyte" of IDE hard disks and IDE RAID probably makes this a lot easier.

7. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but the idea behind the Kaleidascape (and Media Access Solutions, who have now been bought by AMX) is that it's a multi-zone system. The server doesn't actually have any video or audio outputs - content is streamed over Ethernet to thin clients. At one point the MAS guys were quoting a theoretical maximum of around 60 - 70 clients attached to one server (their server has a Gigabit Ethernet port), although in practice I think they have only ever hooked up 8. Both units ran their drives in a RAID5 array; the Kaleidascape drives were even hot-swappable.

I didn't really delve into the Kaleidascape product too much at CEDIA, as they seemed to be unduly paranoid about region coding, and seemed uninterested in the European market at this stage. As a price comparison (probably all changed now with the AMX thing...), we were looking at selling the base MAS server for around £6500, with a capacity for around 125 DVDs. Thin clients would work out around £1600 - £1800 or so.

Cheers,

Simon

8. mawilla

mawilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've just installed a Kaleidescape and I have to say it is outstanding. The usability of it is so simply brilliant and the picture and sound quality is top notch. As far as I am aware there are no regions set, as it doesn't play DVD's it rips them bit for bit so no quality loss and stores the info on a hard drive. The R1 discs elliminate the legal warnings and allows you to view the movie from the beginning of the movie not the disc, however (Some) R2 discs start from the beginning of the disc. Kaleidescape provide a service whereby you can send the R2 discs to them and they will add the chapter marks to the central server and this will automatically update your system. It is expensive, but it does support HD content, outputs HDMI and component and is bloody brilliant!