Kaleidescape / Fusion Genesis

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jonnyt, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there,

I'm currently looking at DVD / Media servers as potential offerings for clients, i went for a demo on a kaleidescape system and was absolutely blown away by it (but not the image being sent over cat5).. anyway, that UI is just plain lovely, however I vaguely remember seeing the fusion genesis system somewhere / hearing about it, and at first glance these systems seem to have a similar UI

I wonder if anyone had any comparison information? I have requested info from fusion and the same from kaleidescape to see about the techy aspects, but if anyone has any personal experience or comments, please do let me know!

kind regards,

Jonathan

2. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Janathan,

What was the issue with the picture and which version of the K-player did they use?

Pemberto

3. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there,

It didnt appear to be a kaleidescape issue - apologies, i should have made that clearer. the person demonstrating this to us (it was his personal system in his home) was using a crestron video-over-cat5 solution which i think drained the image, it appeared less vivid and less detailed than what i would expect from such a HIGH end system (the crestron over cat5)

I used a pioneer 55" screen (i dont have the model details to hand) and using belden/canare interconnects that i made (and a Mark Grant HDMI cable), the sky HD pic blew it out of the water compared to the HD stuff we were shown from the kaleidescape system. (along with the SD dvd stuff, a decent denon dvd player gave a better image) I would have thought that connecting straight from the kaleidescape server to the screen rather than messing about with video over cat5 would be the more appropriate solution?

kind regards,
    Jonathan
    p.s.
    this leads me onto my next question about image and calibration!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Video over cat5 done properly should not damage the image most solutions ar ebased on SOny 777 400 DVD Changers useless for region 2 but there are other sytsems coming that may well knock kaliedascape off its very expensive pedestal (1080i Video over TCP/IP for example)

5. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there,

Do you have any further details on the 1080 over ip systems?

I am loathed to use a dvd changer system, as it just seems a 'backwards' step (using a mechanical changer)

kind regards,
    Jonathan
    p.s.
    you're right, it 'shouldnt' alter the picture, but it appeared to - i guess it boils down to the components on the a-to-d converter and back again?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i havent used crestron cat5 system but have used others they can sometimes come out a biut dull but displays need calibrating to their inputs. Netstreams have annouced they will have IP 1080i soon and have panorama already the biigest thing with Kaliadescape is they won the legal battle to RIP DVD's and ditribute no one else has this yet. Escient dont, Request dont (777 based) Imerge have a new product but its geared to Internet download content not disc ripping how does kaladiescape deal with HD-DVD/Blu-ray as for its cost? £15k? a DVD only system seems pointless (well too expensive) to me.

7. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    from what little i know of the kaleidescape (etc) systems,

i beleive the 'base' kaleidescape system is around 7.5/8k but i may be wrong as i dont have pricing to hand.

most media servers (fusion & kaleidescape) can deal with DVD's and CD's - if you buy the dvd system it can also deal with music i beleive.

this is something we are looking at in more detail and something we would love to get hold of to demo'.

i am waiting clarification of how the fusion systems deal with HD but kaleidescape are currently sorting out a module for pushing HD stuff which should just be a simple rom upgrade (iirc).

i just think that 'media servers' are the way forward and really, what 'smart home' stuff is all about (along with lighting) these are the bits which i hope customers will pay for!

Jonathan

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    servers are cool but expensive, and its justifying the cost there are certain apps were they are ideal but i am not sure that they will really take off just yet things are chaging very very fast and lots of services are competeing for entertainment £. If you can get people willing to pay for it then go for it.... That i think is the hard part

9. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I dont have uk pricing for a K-server, but here is some info my dealer in the US has sent me about the 1U server version.

"They sell for $10K retail but it really is a stripped down system in terms of hardware capacity. It is the same capabilities and has the same service license. You can get it with either a movie or music license for that price and that price is for a system with 2 x 250GB drives. You can bump them up to larger drives for an additional fee - basically the price difference between the 250GB and 750GB drives. The big differences are as follows:

Movie Reader and Movie Player have been combined into one unit. This "MoviePlayer2" is $500 more than the old movie player, but it obviates the need for a separate reader. This new player is available for either system and can play the films straight off the disc in addition to loading, so it is a very sweet deal and also reduces the into price for the big 5U server system.

The new 1U server can only handle 4 drives and loses 1 to parity so you get
    3 drives worth of capacity. This one uses SATA drives so the drives cannot be swapped between the 1U server and the 5U server. You do, however, get to use 750GB drives with this new server. The 5U is still limited to 500GB drives. Max capacity for the 1U server is 2.25TB, enough for 337 movies.

I think a fully loaded 1U server with a single MoviePlayer2 combo player/reader and a movie license is $14190 MSRP."

My understanding is that the 1U server does not have the hard drive redundancy that you have on the 5U(now discontinued) and the new 3U server.

Hope that helps,
    Pemberto

10. howardbowell

howardbowell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought about using the iDyl Media server from DF Solutions. We use them extensively as they are more cost effective than Kalaedescape, and cope with all media formats.

11. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Howard,

I have seen a little info about the Idyl kit, but dont really know a lot about it, and a very quick google didnt pull any manufacturer info up? if you'd rather not publish the manufacturer address here?! (just a suggestion) you're more than welcome to drop me a PM with it on.

the client (who were just in talks with at the moment) really likes the ease of use that comes with the fusion & kaleidescape systems - naturally the gui is the real seller.

I can see its a fairly popular system from the google search too, but I cant see much in the way of pricing either.

any more info would be greatly appreciated!

kind regards,
    Jonathan

12. Vis Man

Vis Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I no its a bit off topic but ive installed and programed a Crestron Qm system (Crestron Cat5) and it works a treat excellent picture quality. There are adjustments you can make with the QM products that if not setup properly will distort the image.
    and no i dont work for Crestron :)

Cheers

13. KPlayer

KPlayer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kaleidescape wins all day. Support is second to none as well as the GUI.:thumbsup:

14. crestron boy

crestron boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40

any reason why you decided to revive a 18month old thread!

still waiting for those k-scape killers aswell