K800i signal indicator

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by mr. shr, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys,
    I've been using my K800i (on Vodafone) for about a week now and I've noticed that the signal strength indicator keeps moving about all over the place. One second it can be at full strengh (5 bars) and then it will gradually drop down one bar at a time. Sometimes it goes right down to nothing, and then suddenly all bars come up in an instant.
    (This is happening when the phone is not being moved around, i.e. just sitting on the armrest of my sofa.)

A friend in the office also has a K800i (on Three) and his phone shows all five bars with no movement at all. We sat and watched both phones: his didn't change but mine went from 4 or 5 bars then slowly down to nothing, to the point where the screen displayed 'emergency calls only' and then suddenly all five bars came back up again.

Just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on how to test things. Is this a Vodafone thing, or is the phone faulty?

Any help or comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

shr.

2. Ryanmixu

Ryanmixu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am on o2 with this phone and never had this problem to be honest......maybe an idea to get this checked its probably playing havoc with your battery life if its having to search for a signal constantly

Ryan

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    My first K800 was on 3 and it would also hunt for a signal a lot of the time. it seemed to draw a lot of current and used the battery up quicker.
    I now have one on O2 and it seems much better so i think it might be the phone. My 6680 on 3 has a good signal as well.
    One thing i did when i got my O2 phone and put my 3 sim in it was to turn 3G off and this then gave me a better signal but my second phone was definatly better than the first.

you can hook it up to some software (MyPhoneExplorer) and that will tell you how strong the signal is but i doubt you can do anything about it

4. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Ryan,

I requested a replacement so will see if the new one does the same.

I've put my sim card back into an old K700i and also my old K750i and notice that the signal strength indicator is still wandering all over the place. The more I look at this, the more I think it's a Vodafone thing.

My other half is also on Voda and signal strength on hers moves about a bit too.
    I find this odd. I thought that if a phone is receiving full strength, it would lock onto that base station (provided the phone doesn't move). Why would the signal strength drop by so much and then suddenly shoot up to full strength?

If anyone else is on Voda and has got a spare minute, could you just sit and stare at your signal strengh meter for a bit? Does it wonder all over the place, even when the phone is stationary? If it does wonder, by how many bars does it wander by. Mine can go from 0 to full in one jump.

Thanks.

shr.

5. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Dave. Where can I get this software from? Might be interesting to see what the it says the signal strength is.

On the K800i I notice that the 3G symbol keeps coming on and off. Is that supposed to be on all the time?

I think Voda have been having trouble with their Vodafone Live service. When I rang 191 yesterday to request a replacement handset, the first thing they say (before the list of options) is that they are aware some people are experiening problems with Vodafone Live and that they are working on a solution.
    But I doubt that is linked to my problem.

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    You can get the software from here
    http://www.fjsoft.at/
    It very good but you do need to install the K800 drivers first.

The 3G icon should stay on all the time unless you set the phone to GSM only. so if its going on and off it means its loosing the 3G signal and dropping back to GSM.
    I dont use any of the 3G services on O2 so i have mine switched off and i do notice a more constant signal (and longer battery life)
    It seems to me that all the networks have a bit of trouble now and again so it could well be your network.
    As i said above the signal was going up and down on 3 on my K800 but i remember now that when i put the sim back in to my 6680 it was also doing it, just not as much. this was in an area i know has always had a good 3 signal.
    What i have noticed also is that when the 3G siganl goes there is a loss of network untill the phone locks on to a GSM signal. it might be worth turning to phone to GSM only and see how that goes.

7. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Replacement has just arrived but at work at the mo so will have to wait until tonight for a test. Reckon I'm gonna find exactly the same problem though. (such a sinic!!)

The 3G logo on the old K800i was more off than on, now I think about it. I rarely saw it on the screen. Hope replacement works and stops me whinging!!!!

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Nah, i always think that way. Bah humbug etc etc bloody weather:rolleyes:

If its the network (and you said voda were aware of a problem) then it might be worth just keeping an eye on it as you travel around. could just be your home cell and could well be sorted soon.

9. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Been noticing the wondering signal strength at home and at work (about five miles apart) so would have thought that must be different cells. But I'll see how it goes tonight.................

.................might be a brand new K800i up for sale later. Used only once for testing. Failed test, hence sale!!! :D

10. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well I've been trying out my replacement handset and the signal stength indicator still wonders a little but not as much as the first handset. So I think the first phone was slightly faulty as it was forever hunting for the signal.

I need to try it out in the office as well but early indication is that it's better than the first handset.

I think that fact that it wonders is more of a Vodafone thing cos it happens with other handsets (albeit Sony Ericsson's) I have here.

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    It wanders about quite a but on my k750i on Vodafone, and the mask is only about 500ft away.

12. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So it probably is a voda thing then?

I've tried mine in the office today and it seems better than last week when I had the original handset.

Although I did completely lose the network at one point this morning. It happened at the same point as with the first handset, so it might just be a dodgy area in the office. I suppose I'm just noticing it more now cos I keep looking at the damn signal indicator every few mins. My K750 and K700 probably lost the network at the same point in the office but didn't notice cos I wasn't sad enough to walk around with one eye glued to the signal indicator!!!!!

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Have you tried switching off 3G? i find that when my old phone went out of a 3G area the signal got lost untill it had a fix on a GSM signal. very anoying.

14. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Gonna try that now.

15. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just went to the point in the office where I was losing the signal, but this time with 3G off.
    Didn't make any difference. Phone loses network and says "emerg. calls only."

I might try my k700 or K750 in that location, but I'm getting REALLY sad now.

16. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    I have noticed exactly the same issue on my k800i.

I work in the City where reception is great but where I live voda reception is weak.

On my old k750i this meant that I generally had a weak signal but I never seemed to loose the signal completely. However, now with my k800 I keep getting "Emergency Calls Only" - even though reception can show 2 or 3 bars.

I put my k800i and my wifes Nokia on the windowsill next to one another. The K800 signal went up and down from Emergency Calls Only to 3 bars (out of 5). Nokia stayed much more constant at either 2 or 3 bars (out of 7 I think)

BTW what is the difference between Emergency Calls Only (ECO) and No Network Coverage (NNC) - NNC seems to correspond to no signal bars but ECO could be seen even when I got a strong signal e.g. 3 out of 5 signal bars?

17. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Emergency Calls Only means that you do have a signal but only strong enough to dial 999. Over here anyways, 999/112 have stronger signals. Down in my work basement, I always lose my network coverage, but I always have 5 bars of Emergency Calls.

Incidently, I do have a similar issue with my W810i. Signal does tend to jump, and I know it's not my network, but it doesn't affect the quality of my calls or my battery life.