K800i OR N73?

Pumauk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering which is better for me- Had a look at both of them briefly in a shop, they seem very similar :rolleyes:

So what do you guys suggest? Any particular problems with either of them?

I'm coming from a 6230 (Which has been brilliant- and still is pretty good come to think of it).

Only real differences i can see is the N73 has the better OS (but whether or not any of the apps you can get for it are any good is another question) - whereas the k800i may be a bit faster and has a xenon flash (which doesnt seem to make huge differences)

So N73 Pro's:

Symbian OS
Takes SD micro / mini cards

K800i:

Xenon flash
Faster OS

So any ideas please? Also, would want to go on 02, £30 a month tariff i think (200mins 500txts)- the k800i was free a while ago on that but is now £70, but the n73 is £50. Is this an alright tariff or can i do better?

Cheers

The flash makes a HUGE difference, I have friends with w800 and similar quality 2mp camera, in low light the k800 absolutely batters them for image quality.

It really depends how much you want it for the camera, if you feel thats important then go k800.

You can get a better contract that, I ordered my k800 before release and got 500 text 500 minutes for £30, with a free phone.

I have the N73 and am very happy with it. Highly recommend it.

My wife has the Sony Ericsson W800i - she wants but can't afford to update her Memory PRO Due card - that's the trouble with SE: proprietary memory cards which are too expensive.

Chiswick- is it true that u cant turn the camera sound off on the n73? That would annoy me somewhat.

Any problems navigating the menus? Heard its a bit slow at times. Cheers

Pumauk said:
Chiswick- is it true that u cant turn the camera sound off on the n73? That would annoy me somewhat.

Any problems navigating the menus? Heard its a bit slow at times. Cheers

There is no dedicated function to switch off the camera sound. BUT, the camera makes no noise/sound whatsoever if you have the handset profile (temporarily) selected to SILENT.

So you can take a photograph in silence.

The menu system is good, only fractionally slow, but nothing like the N80 as I have read in various forums. The N73 has an updated processor compared to the N80.

It depends from which model you have upgraded; I came from a Nokia 6320 which was very quick, but it was a standard non-Symbian model.

I'm coming from a 6230 (very quick)- so not too sure whether the slow menus would annoy loads or not.

Thats good that u can silence the camera tho!

Pumauk said:
I'm coming from a 6230 (very quick)- so not too sure whether the slow menus would annoy loads or not.

Thats good that u can silence the camera tho!

The menu doesn't annoy me. There is a 'task manager' where you can switch between applications and shut them down.

Does anyone know if the n73 supports 2gb mini sd's??

I had a look at the N73 and the K800 and in the end decided to get the K800. For me the advantages of each were:

Phone
N73 wins this one. The N73 had noticeably clearer reception than the K800 when I tried them together - both had about the same ear piece volume.
The K800 reception at my house seems poorer than my previous k750. Keeps showing Emergency calls only. This is my main problem with the K800 and may lead to me taking it back and trying the N73 instead.

Have played with 3G web surfing and watching Sky TV but in practice on such a small screen I doubt that I would bother doing much of this in the future.

Camera
K800 best but it is not that clear cut - there are lots of comparisons on the web and many seem to show that the N73 is better outdoors and the K800 is better in lower light and indoors, especially with its real flash. Haven't tried the N73 camera but the K800 is very good (for a phone). However, for me the killer feature of the K800 is bestpic i.e. take a quick succession of 9 shots and then you can save the best ones. I have two young kids and getting a good shot of them as they move around is virtually impossible without bestpic. If you don't have kids and take plenty of photos outdoors (as most of the comparison web sites concentrate on) then the N73 is just as good if not better.

OS
I previously had a K750 and the K800 is very similar - which in a way is dissappointing as the K800 doesn't seem to have moved that far forward. However, they seem to have adressed most of my main gripes especially with improved playing of MP4 movies e.g. it keeps the aspect you select and fast forward/rewind is now quick enough to actually be useful. I have encountered no bugs so far. Earpiece vol better than K750 (without OS update) but still only just loud enough in noisy environments.

I didn't play much with the N73 as the OS was very unfamiliar to me. The Symbian OS may have advantages in terms of its flexibility and work apps but this isn't very interesting to me. I don't want to spend time downloading apps such as tom tom onto my phone or view word docs. What I did notice was that the N73 took a looong time to boot up.

Physical Attributes
The N73 screen is much bigger but has the same res. K800 screen better than K750 brighter, more contrast and sharper. However, I find text when web-surfing a bit small.

N73 has a flat back and a better designed lens cover. K800 is thinner except where the lens is the lens cover bulges out. A couple of times I have found that the K800 lens cover has opened up in my pocket and it is in photo mode with full screen active which must kill the battery.

K800 uses M2 memory cards. 1Gb is the max at present and 1Gb M2 costs more than a 2Gb miniSD.

I know 3 don't do the N73 yet but it's due out! my question is does anyone know if an unlocked N73 would work on 3?? can't upgrade for a bit now so i wanted to confirm it'd work before i bought one!

:eek:

chiswick said:

Thanks.

Nice comparison garydhooper. I find the volume quite low on my D750i (T-Mobile version of K750i), therefore if the K800i is even lower than that is a worry?

Not bothered about the OS moving ahead too much considering how good it was in the first place!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom