K-PAX, a brief look.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by uncle eric, Mar 27, 2002.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not seen this movie before and was waiting in great anticipation to see one of the best actors of our generation, Kevin Spacey together with the always reliable Jeff Bridges.

Having read many mixed reviews (what else is new), I didn't quite know what to expect.
    Oh, I knew the storyline but didn't know how it would be told. Would it take itself too seriously and crash and burn, or would it evolve into laughable farce.
    I think the answer is neither. Its a very well told mix of mental hospital drama with much mystery thrown in. Spacey is superb (an understatement if ever there was one) and so to is Bridges who is rock steady as always.
    For a movie that revolves around the possible existence of extra terrestrial beings living among us, it spends much of its time telling a human story of how people can change for the better by looking at themselves and even curing each other. Personaly, I liked the film a lot and would watch it again at the drop of a hat.
    PQ though sharp as a tack most of the time had EE to varying degrees throughout much of the movie.
    The soundtrack (DD and DTS), as you can imagine wasn't the most exciting you will hear but sounded full and round with much of the dialogue coming across crystal clear. Another plus point for the movie is the great score which I also enjoyed tremendously.

Note* Check out the black and white photographs taken by Bridges during production in the very elaborate Extra's section. Very nice indeed.

Eric

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the thoughts Uncle eric.

The book on which the film is based is one of my favourites, thus I am approaching this film with a little trepidation. Having said that though when I learned of who they had cast in the 2 lead roles I was really impressed - when reading the book a couple of years ago I almost pictured Kevin Spacey as Prot!

I was also worried that, as you suggested eric, the tone may not have been right, but it sounds promising.

Can't wait!!

Lex.

Oh and by the way there are two sequals to the book so look out for K-Pax II before long I am sure!!

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lex,
    I hope the sequels materialize as this would make for great viewing. Unfortunately, I dont think the movie broke any box office records so I wouldn't bet on anything further.

Sadly, to guarantee large quantities of bums on seats (even with Spaceys pulling power) for a new movie these days, you need at least 300 murders and enough special effects for another space program.

Eric

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

LOL. Sad, but true!!:rolleyes:

Another unfortunate tendency with modern cinema is to show the entire plot of the film in the trailer. I was shocked to see in the trailer for K-Pax that they gave away all the surprises/treats/twists/and even the ending!
    Unbelievable!

P.S. sorry to hear of your problems with the bailifs!! You really should have paid your electric bill!!;)

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm eager to see this too. Like Lex, I read the book recently and yes, you can just picture Kevin Spacey as Prot. Excellent stuff. I hope the film is as good! KPAXII next...