1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-AVCA1SE Denon Link Upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by skywalker1010, Aug 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi All,

I have the Denon AVCA1SE amplifier which I sent back to Denon a couple of years ago to get the K-AVCA1SE Denon Link upgrade board fitted. After all the ups and downs of reported link problems with the DVD-A1 and replacement top of the range players I have waited and waited to pull the trigger on a new high spec DVD player to use with the Denon Link.

My question is, will my Denon Link upgrade now allow me to connect to the new DVD-A1XV, as I am looking to buy this player.

Or will I have to send this amp back 'again' to Denon for a tweak or two to use the 3rd Edition which can now pass SACD.

Has anyone here had the upgrade and can use the similar link on the 3910, out of the box, I was hoping to be able to do the same, but with the new flagship.

In my mind, it is still a great amp and I would like to keep it rather than getting the new 'behemoth' AV11-XV.

cheers for any help.

:hiya:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Forget Denon Link 3 for the already upgraded A1SE, the best you'll get is Denon Link S.E. which is compatible with Denon Link 3 but won't accept SACD. If your Denon has the original Denon Link then it needs to go back to Denon to be upgraded to S.E. You can check which your Denon has by seeing if it has the S.E sticker next to the Denon Link input.

Only A1SR's are able to be upgraded to Denon Link 3 and as an added bonus they get HDCD and PLiix in the process.

3. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for the quick reply Jase, I would have put a bet down that you would have come in on this first as you know so much about the Denon brand.

I will check the back of the amp tonight. So you are saying that I have no hope of hearing SACD through any upgrade I can get for the AVCA1SE :(

Will the DVD-A1XV be able to use my current Denon Link for DD and DTS, I don't mind SACD through RCA's as I have that at the moment.

If all this is too much hassle I will probably get a deal on the new amp and new dvd player. :cool:

Thanks for your help

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Denon Germany scuppered our hopes of any further upgrades to the KA1SE. According to them the Denon Link 3, PLIIx and HDCD upgrade is not technically possible.

With Denon Link S.E you will be able to pass Dolby/DTS/PCM & DVD AUDIO from the new player. For SACD you'd have to use the Analog connections.

I'm in a similar situation. My unit has Denon Link but not S.E. It doesn't warrant my upgrading it as it will cost nearly 400 quid for an insured courier trip to Denon UK. May as well wait and put the money towards a new Amp!

5. Seidelkm

Seidelkm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase I've heard this before that the Denon Link 3, PLIIx and HDCD upgrade is not technically possible but the American site was claiming that upgrades were possible to the 5803 and further info was comming in relation to the 5800. Unfortunately this is now not viewable unless you have a serial number to feed in to upgrade web site.

Do you know specifically why the upgrade is not possible as at the time of upgrading to the "K" I was told that the only difference between the "KSE" and the "R" was the video upconverting capability of the R.

Who can give us a difinative answer as Denon themselves are a wall of silence, promising lots and delivering bugger all under the description of "Possible upgrades". The "K" board is DSD and firewire compatable and I payed for it.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    Further info never appeared for other upgrades to the 5800 as far as I know. The Pre-Amp section of the A1SR is more refined than the KA1SE (according to Denon) and I believe one of the technical reasons for no more upgrades is a lack of internal memory.

It is frustrating as an owner of a KA1SE, but at some point the unit had to reach the end of it's life in terms of upgrades. I can't seen Denon supporting several previous Flagship models as well as their current one.

I understand your points though, it would be nice to have Firewire, PLIIx etc but I really can't see it happening.