1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(K) AVA1SE Link SE upgrade.. cost? surely not!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jules, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Just popped into my dealer and enquired again about the 2nd upgrade to my Denon A1SE to cope with the digital link from my Denon DVDA1.
    At the moment, this facility is useless until the amp is upgraded, and it was a major selling point of having the initial £600 upgrade and a major influence in purchasing their own £2500 DVD player!

Well my dealer has just said that their rep indicated that Denon UK were working out how much to charge for it.

It should be bloody free!!!! What the hell do they think they are playing at.
    I will have paid £2500 for the amp, £600 for the upgrade, £2500 for the DVD player.... and now they want to be paid to make an advertised feature of the components actually work!

Even worse, he indicated that their initial decision was in the hundreds of pounds, but they were re-thinking that.

If this is true, its the last straw!
    Anyone care to join a fight for consumer rights, and put an end to this nonsense.

Jules

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Agree with you there mate, thats just out of order.

Here is a line from the advertised features of the KAVC-A1SE upgrade on the Denon website:

In that respect the upgrade they performed on your A1SE does not work as advertised.

You should be charged a small shipping and handling fee at most.

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I'm not sure that this won't be free and your dealer incorrect. I say this because I just got my amp back from the upgrade last week and I think I may already have the Denon Link SE upgrade included with the new board. I say this because I received an addendum to the instructions about Denon Link SE, which was surprising.

Unfortunately I have a Denon 3800 DVD player so this is of no use to me if it has been upgraded to the new Denon Link SE anyway, but maybe with my next DVD player...

4. graxxor

graxxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CarlB is indeed correct, the first round of upgrades (early last year) came with the original Denon Link. However, the second round of upgrades (from Novemer last year-here in Japan at any rate) came with the SE version thrown in for free. I'm glad I waited for it now!!!

Now all I need is an A1 DVD player :rolleyes:

5. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Last time I spoke with Denon, they said the upgrade would be free if you had both the A1SR and A1. If you only owned one product, there would be a shipping charge (£40?), which would be refunded if you subsequently bought the other product within a few months. It appears everyone seems to have been told something different, so I guess will just have to wait and see, but i would be very surprised if the cost involved was anything other than shipping related.

6. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Carlb Is Right

Got mine back in 1st week of jan and it has the se link on it so all i need now is a DVD A-1 To try it on any offers :p

Boogie man :clap:

7. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    How about owners of the K-AVCA1SE(with first edition Denon Digital Link) and DVD-A1 (ie Jules)? Did the A1SR originally ship with the first edition Digital Link? And has the DVD-A1 ever shipped with the first edition link?

I think Denon have made a mess of this, if you sell products that have advertised features and then start charging people for upgrades to make these features actually work (as opposed to upgrades that add features), you are bound to anger your customers and drive away potential ones.

8. BabylonP

BabylonP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes the early A1SR's did ship with first edition, mine being one of them and yes early A1's also shipped with first edition link.

My replacement A1 which is a Dec 02 build is Second edition, so now I have to get the A1SR sorted out. Hayden labs have said this will be free if you have both units.

Phil

9. THX Jedi

THX Jedi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just (10 days ago, only just found this forum) got my upgraded 1SE back, next to the 'denon link' socket it is labeled 'se' I am awaiting a call back from my local dealer who is checking when the DVD A1 will ship with the 'se' version as standard