gambit6

I have the same problem. There are two solutions

1) Enable VRR. With the recent firmware update, there is no loss in vertical-resolution now

2) Disable Game Mode (and you have to keep disabling it every time you switch the PS5 on. It's weird, because this happens even if you have ALLM disabled)

stephentw

Good news for Xbox Series X owners, todays firmware update fixes the Dolby Vision jumpy/jittery issue I was having. Can confirm that with HDMI 1 set to mode 3 (HDMI 2.1 mode) and Xbox set to 60hz with Dolby Vision and VRR on I no longer get the issues I described earlier in the thread in Gears 5 or Forza Horizon 5.

yourboylollipop

Good news for Xbox Series X owners, todays firmware update fixes the Dolby Vision jumpy/jittery issue I was having. Can confirm that with HDMI 1 set to mode 3 (HDMI 2.1 mode) and Xbox set to 60hz with Dolby Vision and VRR on I no longer get the issues I described earlier in the thread in Gears 5 or Forza Horizon 5.

I have the same problem. There are two solutions

1) Enable VRR. With the recent firmware update, there is no loss in vertical-resolution now

2) Disable Game Mode (and you have to keep disabling it every time you switch the PS5 on. It's weird, because this happens even if you have ALLM disabled)

Does it happen at “very busy scenes” only or does it seem to happen at random ?

Shame the latest firmware didn’t fix the issue but hopefully the issue would be redundant once the ps5 gets vrr (if ever )

gambit6

Does it happen at “very busy scenes” only or does it seem to happen at random ?

Shame the latest firmware didn’t fix the issue but hopefully the issue would be redundant once the ps5 gets vrr (if ever )
It happens at random, and frequently enough to be irritating

yourboylollipop

It happens at random, and frequently enough to be irritating

That’s a massive shame .

I doubt this is is a legit fix but it could be worth a shot : experiment with the pixel orbitor and see if you can replicate the issue on another tv (as it could be the ps5’s lack of vrr ).

As a prospective buyer , the gaming aspect of the tv is what’s making me hesitant to purchase it - so I really do hope the issue goes away soon for everyone

gambit6

That’s a massive shame .

I doubt this is is a legit fix but it could be worth a shot : experiment with the pixel orbitor and see if you can replicate the issue on another tv (as it could be the ps5’s lack of vrr ).

As a prospective buyer , the gaming aspect of the tv is what’s making me hesitant to purchase it - so I really do hope the issue goes away soon for everyone
You've misunderstood. I've already provided the solution. On the TV, enable VRR, or disable Game Mode.

Prior to the firmware update, enabling VRR was not viable, because the vertical-resolution was halved. But this is resolved now.

yourboylollipop

You've misunderstood. I've already provided the solution. On the TV, enable VRR, or disable Game Mode.

Prior to the firmware update, enabling VRR was not viable, because the vertical-resolution was halved. But this is resolved now.

Ah okay , I’m sorry for misunderstanding .

Do you notice a drop in brightness when enabling vrr ? I know it’s pretty drastic on LG but haven’t heard anyone mention it about Panasonic

tibor101

Standard Member
I was getting ahead of myself: without changing any parameters, the flicker was still there. It is happenining in all games, and as someone said before me: It happens at random, and frequently enough to be irritating. I ll try the VRR solution tomorrow. That sounds interesting since the PS5 does not support VRR (or did you use it as a fix for the problem described for the XBOX?). Disabling Game-Mode increases latency, which makes playing faster games very difficult.

Allidsunusable1190

Standard Member

Just to confirm that VRR can be enabled on the TV side of things despite the PS5 not yet supporting VRR and it will fix the issue? Or is that fix only for X Box and turning Game Mode off is for PS5?

stephentw

Game mode works fine on Xbox and VRR with Dolby Vision too after the latest firmware update on the TV the other day.

yourboylollipop

Yes, enabling VRR on the TV fixes the flickering issue when using the PS5

Just to confirm that VRR can be enabled on the TV side of things despite the PS5 not yet supporting VRR and it will fix the issue? Or is that fix only for X Box and turning Game Mode off is for PS5?

If I remember properly Panasonic’s 2020 consoles supported ALLM even for consoles that didn’t support unofficially even with consoles that didn’t have ALLM functionality … I wonder if it’s a similar case here with the VRR …. It’s certainly an illogical fix but if it works - then it’s better then no fix

tibor101

Standard Member
The VRR On fix works for me as well!! First of all thanks for sharing, it has been quite the odyssey. I am still wondering what it does though, you think with VRR On the bandwidth is decreased somehow? Maybe it isn't full resolution? Other image processing? Or maybe VRR works even if the PS5 is not really supporting it...framerates are not locked, so maybe there is something going on.

yourboylollipop

The VRR On fix works for me as well!! First of all thanks for sharing, it has been quite the odyssey. I am still wondering what it does though, you think with VRR On the bandwidth is decreased somehow? Maybe it isn't full resolution? Other image processing? Or maybe VRR works even if the PS5 is not really supporting it...framerates are not locked, so maybe there is something going on.

The curiosity is killing me haha .

So now that there is a fix - do you guys recommend the tv ?

On one hand LG’s gaming capabilities catch my eye , on the other hand I really do think the Panasonic is the way to go ….

gambit6

On one hand LG’s gaming capabilities catch my eye , on the other hand I really do think the Panasonic is the way to go ….
I love the JZ2000. It's the best picture I've ever seen. The colours are bold and rich. The blacks are like ink. My 3 initial disappointments have been overcome:

1) Vincent Teoh's downbeat review (mainly griping about near-black levels). This only applies to low-quality sources, like ITV3, and I haven't noticed anyway.

2) It does not use the latest LG EVO panel...but it's proved to be brighter than the Sony A90J and LG G1 anyway.

3) The vertical-resolution bug with 4K120 and VRR...now fixed.

If you game often, then you should know that the JZ2000 will never support 4K120 + Dolby Vision. The highest qualities are 4K60 + DV, and 4K120 + HDR10. If this is important to you, then your only choice is LG

stephentw

I'd agree with all of the above.

The Panasonic is a more "cinematic" experience for films which is what attracted me to it. The picture is stunning. To my eyes it's great for gaming now too, the only issue I have left is eARC audio/lip sync but if you're not using a soundbar or AVR it won't be an issue.

I have noticed flashing artefacts in dark areas but only YouTube and generally lower bitrate or 1080p content.

tibor101

Standard Member

It's a bit anecdotal but while there wasn't a fix for the flickering, I was offered a full refund for the TV even though I ve had it for several month - and I still did not return it, since it is an astonishing piece of tech!
I was also a bit bummed out be theo's review, the lack of Evo panel and the missing hdmi 2.1 capabilities. The Evo panel has it's own issues, the hdmi problems seem to be fixed and theos review highlighted the few problematic points of the TV. Overall, I would now fully recommend the TV, also for Gaming.

gambit6

I'd agree with all of the above.

The Panasonic is a more "cinematic" experience for films which is what attracted me to it. The picture is stunning. To my eyes it's great for gaming now too, the only issue I have left is eARC audio/lip sync but if you're not using a soundbar or AVR it won't be an issue.

I have noticed flashing artefacts in dark areas but only YouTube and generally lower bitrate or 1080p content.
I use eARC with an AVR (Denon X2700H). I have no issue with audio sync

stephentw

That's interesting, is the 2700 one of this or last years models with HDMI 2.1 ports? I don't have an issue if I send via the AVR but via eARC I'm pulling my hair out. Mines a Denon X6400. It's so bad I'm considering a 400 quid HD Fury device to fix it. Cheaper than a new amp!

gambit6

That's interesting, is the 2700 one of this or last years models with HDMI 2.1 ports? I don't have an issue if I send via the AVR but via eARC I'm pulling my hair out. Mines a Denon X6400. It's so bad I'm considering a 400 quid HD Fury device to fix it. Cheaper than a new amp!
It's a 2021 model with an HDMI 2.1 input/output. I was compelled to buy a new low-end AVR to tide me over after my ancient Onkyo died. I will buy a premium Denon next year, and hopefully it will have multiple 2.1 inputs

BarryMcKelvey

Hi

I've noticed since doing the 4K 120Hz update the other day, when playing Call of Duty: Vanguard online, large sections of the screen would flicker in squares.

It doesn't happen all the time, so Im not sure if its an issue with the update of cal of Duty: Vanguard.

Anyone else seeing the same?

Thanks in Advance

Barry :)

Last edited:

yourboylollipop

Hi

I've noticed since doing the 4K 129Hz update the other day, when playing Call of Duty: Vanguard online, large sections of the screen would flicker in squares.

It doesn't happen all the time, so Im not sure if its an issue with the update of cal of Duty: Vanguard.

Anyone else seeing the same?

Thanks in Advance

Do you have vrr switched on and does flickering tend to happen in dark/black areas ?

BarryMcKelvey

Do you have vrr switched on and does flickering tend to happen in dark/black areas ?
Hi

I have VVR Switched, 120Hy ByPass switched on and 120Hz switched on in the Call of Duty: Vanguard Settings. The last time I'd noticed it was last night when playing on map Das Haus, it flickered squite a bit toward the end of the game.

What interesting is, I don't see the issue so far when playing during the day time in the week.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published